[index] [options] [help]

eprints_tech messages

[EP-tech] Author Browse View

From: Stephane Sechaud <stephane.sechaud AT strath.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:54:35 +0000

Threading:      • This Message
             [EP-tech] Re: Author Browse View from c.s.yates AT open.ac.uk
             [EP-tech] Re: Author Browse View from HillSC AT cardiff.ac.uk
             [EP-tech] HTML-Views :: Grouping - Bug in URL/Subject Length? from alexander.wagner AT bib.uni-mannheim.de
             [EP-tech] Re: HTML-Views :: Grouping - Bug in URL/Subject Length? from tdb2 AT ecs.soton.ac.uk
             [EP-tech] Re: HTML-Views :: Grouping - Bug in URL/Subject Length? from alexander.wagner AT bib.uni-mannheim.de
             [EP-tech] Re: Author Browse View from r.mcnicholl AT ulcc.ac.uk
             [EP-tech] Re: Author Browse View from c.s.yates AT open.ac.uk

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get a browse view for authors to generate the menu against our
authors unique identifier field "eprint_creators_uid" while showing
the name in the top level browse view menu. This way we get a list of the
names, but the pages are named against the unique ID. This unique ID is getting
set from Pure when we are importing our records from there.

I have read through the documentation online here:
http://wiki.eprints.org/w/Views.pl#Menu_options

However I can only get it to make the menu of unique Id's. Here is what I have
in "views.pl":

####
#Unique Authors
{ id => "unique-authors",
  menus => [ { fields => ["creators_uid"],
    new_column_at => [1,1],
    mode => "sections",
    open_first_section => 1,
    group_range_function =>
"EPrints::Update::Views::cluster_ranges_30",
    grouping_function =>
"EPrints::Update::Views::group_by_a_to_z", }, ],
    new_column_at => [0,0],
    variations => [ "date;truncate=4,reverse",
      "type",
      "keywords;tags;cloud",
      "DEFAULT" ],
    Order => "-date/title",
],
####

Would anyone know where I am going wrong? Should I be making a new
"views_render_menu.pl"? Or do I need to stick something like
"res=" or "render_" in the field menu definition? Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephane Sechaud
ERIS Project Assistant
University of Strathclyde
Room 3.02
Alexander Turnbull Building
165 George Street
Glasgow
G1 1RD
Phone: +44 (0)141 548 2379
Web: http://www.strath.ac.uk/cdlr
The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
with registration number SC015263.

[EP-tech] Re: Author Browse View

From: "C.S.Yates" <c.s.yates AT open.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:37:52 +0000

Threading: [EP-tech] Author Browse View from stephane.sechaud AT strath.ac.uk
      • This Message

Hi Stephane,

Is something like this what you're after: http://oro.open.ac.uk/view/person/?

We've had to create a new Metafield in [eprints]/perl_lib/EPrints/MetaField
called Authorid.pm. In cfg.d/eprints_fields.pl our unique author identifier
uses this as it's type i.e.:

{
            'name' => 'creators',
            'type' => 'compound',
            'multiple' => 1,
            'fields' => [
                          {
                            'sub_name' => 'name',
                            'type' => 'name',
                            'hide_honourific' => 1,
                            'hide_lineage' => 1,
                            'family_first' => 1,
                          },
                          {
                            'sub_name' => 'id',
                            'type' => 'authorid',
                            'input_cols' => 20,
                            'allow_null' => 1,
                          }
                        ],
            'input_boxes' => 2,
          },

Authorid.pm is similar to Name.pm but only containing the following two
functions to return the label as the author name instead of the id:

sub get_value_label
{
        my( $self, $session, $value ) =  AT _;

        my $user = EPrints::DataObj::User::user_with_username( $session, $value
);
        if( defined $user )
        {
                my $name = $user->get_value( "name" );
                return $session->make_text(
EPrints::Utils::make_name_string( $name ) );
        }
        return $session->make_text( $value );
}

sub ordervalue_basic
{
        my( $self, $value, $session, $langid ) =  AT _;
        my $user = EPrints::DataObj::User::user_with_username( $session, $value
);
        if( defined $user )
        {
                return EPrints::MetaField::Name::ordervalue_basic( $self,
$user->get_value( "name" ) );
        }
        return $value;
}

Our view can still use creators_id, editors_id set as it's field. There might
be an better/easier way to do this, but it works for us. I hope this makes
sense,

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Yates
Programmer/Repository Web Developer
Open University Library
Walton Hall
Milton Keynes
MK7 6AA

Tel: +44(0)1908 858 796
Email: c.s.yates AT open.ac.uk
Web: http://oro.open.ac.uk
Blog: http://www.open.ac.uk/blogs/ORO
[...]

The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt
charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC
038302).

[EP-tech] Re: Author Browse View

From: Scott Hill <HillSC AT cardiff.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 14:00:22 +0000

Threading: [EP-tech] Author Browse View from stephane.sechaud AT strath.ac.uk
      • This Message

Hi Stephane

We've done this for the I-WIRE project but it proved to be a complex
solution and we eventually had to get the EPrints Services team in on a
consultancy basis to do it, so I can't immediately and easily describe
what we've done.

However, I can see that Chris Yates has sent you a possible solution, and
if that doesn't do what you need, get back in touch with me and we can
discuss the best way to share what we have.

Scott Hill
I-WIRE Project Manager
Information Services
Cardiff University
McKenzie House
30-36 Newport Road
Cardiff
CF24 0DE

HillSC AT Cardiff.ac.uk
Tel. 029 208 75680 Monday to Wednesday morning.
Tel. 029 208 76592 Wednesday afternoon to Friday.

www.cardiff.ac.uk/iwire
blogs.cf.ac.uk/iwire
twitter.com/iwireproject

From:   Stephane Sechaud <stephane.sechaud AT strath.ac.uk>
To:     "'eprints-tech AT ecs.soton.ac.uk'" <eprints-tech AT
ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date:   20/01/2011 10:02
Sent by:        eprints-tech-bounces AT ecs.soton.ac.uk

From: Alexander Wagner <alexander.wagner AT bib.uni-mannheim.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:43:01 +0200

Threading: [EP-tech] Author Browse View from stephane.sechaud AT strath.ac.uk
      • This Message

Greetings everyone,

I noticed a strange behaviour in EPrints (running v.3.2.8).

As I was browsing through our custom views I realized that the grouping
function does not always show the expected result. The URL is generated,
(~xxx.html -> ~xxx.type.html) but the result does not change.

I found out, that it must have to do with the URL/Subject length:

Is there any restriction for the URL/Subject length in one of the
EPrints or Apache libraries?

Example:
While this result (a 24 character long subject-id) can be grouped
https://ub-madoc.bib.uni-mannheim.de/view/ubma-series/1234abcd5678efgh0910ijkl.html

this one (a 32 character long subject-id) can't be grouped
https://ub-madoc.bib.uni-mannheim.de/view/ubma-series/1234abcd5678efgh0910ijkl1112mnop.html

Can anyone approve this?
Any Hints?

Or is the problem based on our local server configuration?

Regards
Alex

--
Alexander Wagner
Universitätsbibliothek Mannheim

[EP-tech] Re: HTML-Views :: Grouping - Bug in URL/Subject Length?

From: Tim Brody <tdb2 AT ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:55:30 +0100

On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 11:43 +0200, Alexander Wagner wrote:
> Greetings everyone,
>
> I noticed a strange behaviour in EPrints (running v.3.2.8).
>
> As I was browsing through our custom views I realized that the grouping
> function does not always show the expected result. The URL is generated,
> (~xxx.html -> ~xxx.type.html) but the result does not change.
>
> I found out, that it must have to do with the URL/Subject length:
>
> Is there any restriction for the URL/Subject length in one of the
> EPrints or Apache libraries?
>
> Example:
> While this result (a 24 character long subject-id) can be grouped

https://ub-madoc.bib.uni-mannheim.de/view/ubma-series/1234abcd5678efgh0910ijkl.html

> this one (a 32 character long subject-id) can't be grouped

https://ub-madoc.bib.uni-mannheim.de/view/ubma-series/1234abcd5678efgh0910ijkl1112mnop.html

> Can anyone approve this?
> Any Hints?

This doesn't appear to replicate in 3.3, but the code base is largely
rewritten between 3.2 and 3.3.

My guess is the group-by is reading the same file on disk, probably as a
result of the abbr(eviation) code that uses MD5s for very long file
names - look at the file names on disk
(archives/[repoid]/html/[langid]/view/ubma-series/...). If there's
no .type.html then you know it's the abbreviation code getting it wrong.

Diagnosing problems in the Views code is quite difficult - so it's not
something I can do quickly.

/Tim.

[EP-tech] Re: HTML-Views :: Grouping - Bug in URL/Subject Length?

From: Alexander Wagner <alexander.wagner AT bib.uni-mannheim.de>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 09:36:26 +0200

Threading: [EP-tech] Author Browse View from stephane.sechaud AT strath.ac.uk
      • This Message

Hi Tim,

thanks for your response, but there are no *html files in the
directories at all. Situation is the same, no matter whether grouping
works or not:

Foreach group-type there are files like
*.include
*.page
*.title
*.title.textonly
The html seems to be (more or less) generated from these files.

No I'm thinking about completeley changing the divisions/subjects trees.
Any possibility to do this without loading a new subjects.xml?
Directly per MySQL or via eprints-script?

By the way, is there already a release date for a stable version of 3.3 ?

Regards
Alex

Am 31.08.2011 16:55, schrieb Tim Brody:

> This doesn't appear to replicate in 3.3, but the code base is largely
> rewritten between 3.2 and 3.3.
>
> My guess is the group-by is reading the same file on disk, probably as a
> result of the abbr(eviation) code that uses MD5s for very long file
> names - look at the file names on disk
> (archives/[repoid]/html/[langid]/view/ubma-series/...). If there's
> no .type.html then you know it's the abbreviation code getting it wrong.
>
> Diagnosing problems in the Views code is quite difficult - so it's not
> something I can do quickly.
>
> /Tim.

Alexander Wagner
Universitätsbibliothek Mannheim
Digitale Bibliotheksdienste
68131 Mannheim
Tel. 0621 / 181-2965

From: Rory McNicholl <r.mcnicholl AT ulcc.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 18:12:54 +0100

Threading: [EP-tech] Author Browse View from stephane.sechaud AT strath.ac.uk
      • This Message

Hello Chris (and list),

I've got a very similar requirement to Stephane and found that your
solution worked nicely :)

Except I notice that in your OU authors views the A-Z links at the top
also correspond to names not IDs. As you can see my A-Z links are
actually 1-9 links :(

http://lshtmtest.da.ulcc.ac.uk/view/creators/

Is there a bit more to the solution or have have I just done it wrong?

Cheers,

Rory

On 20/01/11 10:37, C.S.Yates wrote:
> Hi Stephane,
>
> Is something like this what you're after:
http://oro.open.ac.uk/view/person/?

> We've had to create a new Metafield in
[eprints]/perl_lib/EPrints/MetaField called Authorid.pm. In
cfg.d/eprints_fields.pl our unique author identifier uses this as it's type
i.e.:

> {
>              'name' =>  'creators',
>              'type' =>  'compound',
>              'multiple' =>  1,
>              'fields' =>  [
>                            {
>                              'sub_name' =>  'name',
>                              'type' =>  'name',
>                              'hide_honourific' =>  1,
>                              'hide_lineage' =>  1,
>                              'family_first' =>  1,
>                            },
>                            {
>                              'sub_name' =>  'id',
>                              'type' =>  'authorid',
>                              'input_cols' =>  20,
>                              'allow_null' =>  1,
>                            }
>                          ],
>              'input_boxes' =>  2,
>            },
>
> Authorid.pm is similar to Name.pm but only containing the following two
functions to return the label as the author name instead of the id:

> sub get_value_label
> {
>          my( $self, $session, $value ) =  AT _;
>
>          my $user = EPrints::DataObj::User::user_with_username( $session,
$value );
>          if( defined $user )
>          {
>                  my $name = $user->get_value( "name" );
>                  return $session->make_text(
EPrints::Utils::make_name_string( $name ) );
>          }
>          return $session->make_text( $value );
> }
>
> sub ordervalue_basic
> {
>          my( $self, $value, $session, $langid ) =  AT _;
>          my $user = EPrints::DataObj::User::user_with_username( $session,
$value );
>          if( defined $user )
>          {
>                  return EPrints::MetaField::Name::ordervalue_basic( $self,
$user->get_value( "name" ) );
>          }
>          return $value;
> }
>
> Our view can still use creators_id, editors_id set as it's field. There
might be an better/easier way to do this, but it works for us. I hope this
makes sense,

> Cheers,
> Chris

> Chris Yates
> Programmer/Repository Web Developer
> Open University Library
> Walton Hall
> Milton Keynes
> MK7 6AA
>
> Tel: +44(0)1908 858 796
> Email: c.s.yates AT open.ac.uk
> Web: http://oro.open.ac.uk
> Blog: http://www.open.ac.uk/blogs/ORO

Rory McNicholl
Technical Manager
Digital Archives & Repositories Team
University of London Computer Centre
Senate House
Malet Street
London
WC1E 7HU

t: +44 (0)20 7863 1344
e: r.mcnicholl AT ulcc.ac.uk
w: http://www.ulcc.ac.uk/
b: http://dablog.ulcc.ac.uk/

The University of London is an exempt charity in England and Wales and a
charity registered in Scotland (reg. no. SC041194)

[EP-tech] Re: Author Browse View

From: "C.S.Yates" <c.s.yates AT open.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 10:04:15 +0100

Threading: [EP-tech] Author Browse View from stephane.sechaud AT strath.ac.uk
      • This Message
             [EP-tech] Re: Author Browse View from r.mcnicholl AT ulcc.ac.uk

Hi Rory,

Sorry, I think I missed that bit out in my original email. Here is the rest of
it:

cfg.d/view.pl

{
                id => "person",
                allow_null => 0,
                hideempty => 0,
                menus => [
                        {
                                fields => [ "creators_id",
"editors_id" ],
                                new_column_at => [1, 1],
                                mode => "sections",
                                open_first_section => 1,
                                group_range_function =>
"EPrints::Update::Views::cluster_ranges_30",
                                grouping_function =>
"group_by_author",
                        },
                ],
                citation => "neat",
                order => "creators_name/editors_name",
                variations => [
                        "date;truncate=4,reverse",
                        "type",
                        "creators_name;first_letter",
                        "DEFAULT",
                ],
        },

I've added two new functions group_by_author and alpha_first in a new .pl file;
cfg.d/views_render_menu.pl (attached to this email and extension changed to
txt). It's the group_by_author that's the required function, alpha first is a
group_sorting_function for our journal browse view to ensure letters to appear
before numbers.

There is also a call to a function name_from_username in the group_by_author
function. This basically gets the associated name of the user from their
username:

sub name_from_username
{
        my( $repo, $username ) =  AT _;

        my $dataset = $repo->dataset( "user" );

        my $results = $dataset->search(
                filters => [
                        {
                                meta_fields => [qw( username )],
                                value => $username,
                                match => "EX"
                        }
                ]);

        my $user = $results->item( 0 );
        return $user->{data}->{name};
}

I've actually used namespace overwriting to include this function into the
EPrints::DataObj::User module as a plugin but you may want to place this
function in views_render_menu.pl?

If you restart apache and regenerate the author browse that should do it. There
might be a better way to do this but it works for me!

Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll double check I've not missed anything.

Regards,
Chris

Chris Yates
Systems Librarian
Open University Library
Walton Hall
Milton Keynes
MK7 6AA

Tel: +44(0)1908 858 796
Email: c.s.yates AT open.ac.uk<mailto:c.s.yates AT open.ac.uk>

[...]

e: r.mcnicholl AT ulcc.ac.uk<mailto:r.mcnicholl AT ulcc.ac.uk>

From: Rory McNicholl <r.mcnicholl AT ulcc.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:44:14 +0100

Threading: [EP-tech] Re: Author Browse View from c.s.yates AT open.ac.uk
      • This Message
             [EP-tech] Re: Author Browse View from r.mcnicholl AT ulcc.ac.uk

Thanks Chris!

I'll let you know how I get on with it, but it looks like just the ticket :)

Rory

On 21/09/11 10:04, C.S.Yates wrote:

> Hi Rory,
>
> Sorry, I think I missed that bit out in my original email. Here is the
> rest of it:
>
> cfg.d/view.pl
>
> {
>
>                 id => "person",
>
>                 allow_null => 0,
>
>                 hideempty => 0,
>
>                 menus => [
>
>                         {
>
>                                 fields => [ "creators_id",
"editors_id" ],

>                                 new_column_at => [1, 1],
>
>                                 mode => "sections",
>
>                                 open_first_section => 1,
>
>                                 group_range_function =>
> "EPrints::Update::Views::cluster_ranges_30",
>
>                                 grouping_function =>
"group_by_author",

From: Rory McNicholl <r.mcnicholl AT ulcc.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:23:22 +0100

Threading: [EP-tech] Re: Author Browse View from r.mcnicholl AT ulcc.ac.uk
      • This Message

On 26/09/11 16:44, Rory McNicholl wrote:
> Thanks Chris!
>
> I'll let you know how I get on with it, but it looks like just the
> ticket :)

It was. Nice one.

> Rory
>

> On 21/09/11 10:04, C.S.Yates wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rory,
>>
>> Sorry, I think I missed that bit out in my original email. Here is
>> the rest of it:
>>
>> cfg.d/view.pl
>>
>> {
>>
>>                 id => "person",
>>
>>                 allow_null => 0,
>>
>>                 hideempty => 0,
>>
>>                 menus => [
>>
>>                         {
>>
>>                                 fields => [
"creators_id",
>> "editors_id" ],
>>
>>                                 new_column_at => [1, 1],
>>
>>                                 mode => "sections",
>>
>>                                 open_first_section => 1,
>>
>>                                 group_range_function =>
>> "EPrints::Update::Views::cluster_ranges_30",
>>
>>                                 grouping_function =>
"group_by_author",