[BOAI] Bethesda statement

From: Peter Suber <peters AT earlham.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:28:54 -0500

Threading:      • This Message
             [BOAI] Bethesda statement from peters AT earlham.edu

[Forwarding from Ellen Paul.  I will bring these and other comments on the
Bethesda statement to the attention of the Bethesda group when it
reconvenes in a few months.  --Peter.]

Dear Dr. Suber,

I hope you will forward these comments to the signers of the Bethesda
Statement.

Your goals and principles are entirely laudable, but I fear that you have
no understanding of the financial realities of scientific disciplines that
do not share in the riches of research funding that is available to
disciplines such as biomedical research, and of the financial realities of
many small scientific societies.

The Ornithological Council represents 11 scientific ornithological
societies in the Western Hemisphere. Seven of these are in the United
States. Six of them publish peer-reviewed journals in the traditional
sense. Four have already made journal content available for free on the
internet, 1 - 2 years after publication. This has been an expensive
proposition for them, but they felt that the material should be easily
accessible.

However, to protect the subscription rate, which is the primary source of
income for most of them, they do not make it available immediately.
Unfortunately, many short-sighted scientists who have access to content via
BioOne or other, similar sources, drop their society memberships. They seem
not to know, or care, that ultimately, the loss of revenue will force the
society, along with the journal, into extinction. Then the research is
available to no one. The journal won't exist and the previously-published
material will vanish from the internet because the society will no longer
be available to maintain the website.

Your principles are laudable but frankly, you seem arrogant in failing to
realize that many smaller scientific societies outside the realm of
biomedicine and similarly well-funded research disciplines are imperiled by
completely free access. I hope you will consider the potential impact of
your view -which some would take a step further, wishing to mandate open
access - and modify your statement to address the concerns we have raised.

Sincerely,

Ellen Paul

--
Ellen Paul
Executive Director

[BOAI] Bethesda statement

From: Peter Suber <peters AT earlham.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:33:53 -0500

Threading: [BOAI] Bethesda statement from peters AT earlham.edu
      • This Message

[Forwarding from Ellen Paul.  This is a follow-up to her July 2 posting on
the Bethesda statement on open-access publishing,
<http://threader.ecs.soton.ac.uk/lists/boaiforum/88.html>, and its effect

on small society publishers.  --Peter.]

Thanks, Peter.

Here is an example that you might want to share:

The Wilson Ornithological Society, founded in 1888 and named for Alexander
Wilson, father of American ornithology, has about 2,500 members. Many are
"amateur ornithologists."  It is an important society not only for
historical reasons, but also because it has a special interest in
undergraduate education. The WOS has recently published the only lab manual
for ornithology.  Dues are $21 /year; $15/year for students.* It has
revenue of less than $100,000 per year and assets of under a million dollars.

* Because there are 7 ornithological societies in North America, each is
forced to charge relatively low dues because most ornithologists belong to
more than one society. The most expensive of the seven charges $42/year.
All are raising rates in this coming year, but even with the increases, the
rates will be very low. One can join all 7 for under $200/year.

All issues of Wilson Bulletin (from the first issue in 1889 to the most
recent issue) are now available in full-text electronic versions.  This
means that you can read and print any paper, note, or review published in
Wilson Bulletin on your personal computer.  Also, you can search the entire
series for papers on a particular topic or species, or for all publications
by a particular author.

All issues of Wilson Bulletin published before 2000 are accessible through
the University on New Mexico library web site
(http://elibrary.unm.edu/wilson/).  Until recently this site was under
construction, but Blair Wolf (who is coordinating this effort) reports that
the site has been tested and is now fully functional.  I have discussed
this with Charles Blem and he agrees that we should make a public
announcement about the availability of the site.  I will therefore send an
announcement to the editor of OSNA.  John Smallwood said that he will
include an announcement in Wilson Bulletin.
The University of New Mexico web site is free, so back issues of the
journal are now readily available to anyone in the world with internet
access.  Full-text reproductions of all papers are available as either PDF
or DjVu files.  I found that the DjVu files work more quickly and
smoothly.   To use the DjVu files, you may need to download the DjVu
program from Lizardtech and then install it on your hard drive.  You can do
this for free from the home page of the Wilson Bulletin site at the
University of New Mexico library.

All issues of Wilson Bulletin published since 2000 are available through
BioOne (http://www.bioone.org/bioone/?request=index-html), a subscription
service that is generally accessible at academic libraries.  BioOne
provides a readable, full-text version of each paper, and the text of the
paper can be searched for terms or names. One can go directly to a
reference, table or figure by clicking on a button next to the
citation.  Also, papers can be displayed in a printable format.

--
Ellen Paul
Executive Director