[BOAI] Current Data and Key Literature on UnCited Scholarship

From: "Gerry Mckiernan" <gerrymck AT iastate.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 13:15:57 -0500

Threading:      • This Message
             Re: [BOAI] Current Data and Key Literature on UnCited Scholarship from saunand AT yahoo.com

    _Current Data and Key Literature on UnCited Scholarship_

   I am greatly interested in current data and key literature on UnCited
Scholarship. I have searched Google and found several select items, for
example:

David P. Hamilton (1990). "Publishing by and for?-  the numbers
_Science_, New Series, 250 (4986) (December 7): 1331-1332.
[ http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/papers/hamilton1.html  ]

David P. Hamilton (1991). "Research papers: who's uncited now?,"
_Science_, New Series,  251 (4989) (January 4):  25.
[http://garfield.library.upenn.edu/papers/hamilton2.html ]

John A. Tainer; Helmut A. Abt; Lowell L. Hargens; David M. Bott; F. W.
Lancaster; James H. Pannell; Edward B. Nuhfer; Charles L. McGehee; William A.
Banks; David A. Pendlebury (1991) "Science, citation, and funding,"
_Science_  251 (5000) (March 22):1408-1411.
[http://garfield.library.upenn.edu/papers/pendlebury.html  ]

Eugene Garfield (1998). "Commentary: I had a dream ... about
uncitedness," _The Scientist_ 12 (14) (July 6): 10.
[http://www.the-scientist.com/yr1998/July/comm_980706.html  ]

Quentin L.Burrell (2002). "Will this paper ever be cited?," _Journal
of the American Society for Information Science and Technology_
53(3)(February): 232-2002

For a homogenous set of papers given the average rate at which a paper attracts
citations, Burrell calculates the probability that a paper will ever be cited
assuming it has not been cited in a given time. The longer the elapsed time
without citation the greater the likelihood it will never be cited.
[ http://www.asis.org/Publications/JASIS/vol53n03.html ]

Charles A. Schwartz (1997). "The rise and fall of uncitedness,"
_College & Research Libraries_ 58: (January): 19-29.

Large-scale uncitedness refers to the remarkable proportion of articles that do
not receive a single citation within five years of publication. Equally
remarkable is the brief and troubled history of this area of inquiry, which was
prone to miscalculation, misinterpretation, and politicization. This article
reassesses large-scale uncitedness as both a general phenomenon in the
scholarly communication system and a case study of library and information
science, where its rate is 72 percent.

[http://www.ala.org/Content/NavigationMenu/ACRL/Publications/Journals_Monographic_Series/College_and_Research_Libraries/Back_Issues_1997/January97/CandRL_January_1997_abstracts.htm ]

 I am also (particularly)  interested in Any and All articles / reports
/studies / documents relating to the value of conventional Peer Review within
the context of Uncitedness of Peer Viewed publications [Please do not crucify
me for raising the issue]:-)

   As Always, Any and All contributions, comments, questions, critiques,
Government Rebuilding Contracts, and/or Cosmic Insights are Most Welcome.

  Regards,

/Gerry
Current and Key Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck AT iastate.edu

Re: [BOAI] Current Data and Key Literature on UnCited Scholarship

From: somasi saunand <saunand AT yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 04:57:27 -0700 (PDT)

Threading: [BOAI] Current Data and Key Literature on UnCited Scholarship from gerrymck AT iastate.edu
      • This Message

[While this message is addressed to Gerry McKiernan, I hope that other
subscribers will feel free to answer it.  --Peter Suber.]

Dear Dr. Gerry,
I received your mail through BOAI Forum. Many thanks for the mail. I wish to
seek information on Networked Libraries and Rural development. Do you have any
information about the subject? If so, will it be possible for you to send the
desired information to me. I require the same for my work on the subject. I
shall be obliged if you can send me the information.
Thanks.
With kind regards Yours sincerely,
S.SAUNAND
Asst. Regional Director
Indira Gandhi National Open University Regional Centre
Mantoo House
Srinagar
JAMMU & KASHMIR
INDIA

Gerry Mckiernan <gerrymck AT iastate.edu> wrote:_Current Data and Key
Literature on UnCited Scholarship_
[...]