[BOAI] The Life and Death of an Open Access Journal: Q&A with Librarian Marcus Banks

From: "Richard Poynder" <richard.poynder AT cantab.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 13:10:36 +0100

Threading:      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: The Life and Death of an Open Access Journal: Q&A with Librarian Marcus Banks from jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca
             [BOAI] Re: The Life and Death of an Open Access Journal: Q&A with Librarian Marcus Banks from t.d.wilson AT sheffield.ac.uk

Despite their high profile advocacy for open access, many librarians have
proved strangely reluctant to practice what they preach. As late as last
year calls were still being made for the profession to start "walking the
talk".

On the other hand, many librarians have embraced OA, particularly medical
librarians. In 2001, for instance, the Journal of the Medical Library
Association (JMLA) began to make its content freely available on the
Internet. And in 2003 Charles Greenberg, then at the Yale University Medical
Library, launched an open access journal with BioMed Central called
Biomedical Digital Libraries (BDL). One of the first to join the editorial
board (and later to take over as Editor-in-Chief) was Marcus Banks, who was
then working at the US National Library of Medicine.

Four years later, however, BDL became a victim of BMC's decision to increase
the cost of the article-processing charges (APCs) it levies. This meant that
few librarians were able to afford to publish in the journal any longer, and
submissions began to dry up. Despite several attempts to move BDL to a
different publishing platform, in 2008 Banks had to make the hard decision
to cease publishing the journal.

What do we learn from BDL's short life? In advocating for pay-to-publish
gold OA did open access advocates underestimate how much it costs to publish
a journal? Or have publishers simply been able to capture open access and
use it to further ramp up what many believe to be their excessive profits?
Why has JMLA continued to prosper under open access while BDL has withered
and died? Was BDL unable to compete with JMLA on a level playing field?
Could the demise of BDL have been avoided?  What, if anything, does the
journal's fate tell us about the future of open access?

These and other questions are discussed with Banks in a Q&A interview here:

http://poynder.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/the-life-and-death-of-open-access.html

[BOAI] Re: The Life and Death of an Open Access Journal: Q&A with Librarian Marcus Banks

From: =?Windows-1252?Q?Gu=E9don_Jean-Claude?= <jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 13:21:55 +0000

Threading: [BOAI] The Life and Death of an Open Access Journal: Q&A with Librarian Marcus Banks from richard.poynder AT cantab.net
      • This Message

Could I, once more, ask Richard Poynder (and many others) not to confuse Gold
OA and APC-Gold.

APC-Gold is uncovering problems that had not been anticipated at first. Poynder
mentions one in his note, and assigns it to the whole Gold OA. Predatory
journals exist only because the APC-Gold business model opens the door to this
odious kind od polluting and parasitic behaviour. However, and I repeat,
APC-Gold is but one subset of Gold OA.

Is it so difficult to understand?

Just to make things very, very clear: Gold OA is agnostic with regard to
business plans, and it does not limit itself to one business plan. This is a
form of thinking-in-a-box that requires the breaking of the box.

Jean-Claude Guédon
________________________________
ecs.soton.ac.uk] de la part de Richard Poynder [richard.poynder AT cantab.net]
Envoyé : mardi 31 mars 2015 08:10
À : boai-forum AT ecs.soton.ac.uk
Objet : [BOAI] The Life and Death of an Open Access Journal: Q&A with
Librarian Marcus Banks

From: "Prof. T.D. Wilson" <t.d.wilson AT sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 17:14:12 +0100

Threading: [BOAI] The Life and Death of an Open Access Journal: Q&A with Librarian Marcus Banks from richard.poynder AT cantab.net
      • This Message

--bcaec5171ab183b2f10512ac01b5

Jean-Claude Guedon is right to draw attention to the distinction between
truly open access - which I define as "open at both ends" (i.e., at
submission and use), and for which I coined the term "Platinum OA",
which
was picked up and used by a few others - the use of a completely different
term to define true OA would certainly end the confusion.

Publishers, naturally, find it difficult to cope with Platinum OA, since,
by definition it earns no income.  I assume that the MLA subsidises its OA
journal and that members of the MLA find it an appropriate use of their
subscriptions.

Information Research (http://informationr.net/ir/) is now in its 20th year
of publication as a truly open access journal - it has no income, functions
with voluntary regional editors, copy-editors and layout editors - the only
direct costs are those associated with the maintenance of the server, which
is undertaken, in support of the journal, by Lund University.  In other
words, Platinum OA is possible, if academics are motivated to ensure its
possibility.  Sadly, because of the current publish or perish syndrome and
the curse of the impact factor, most academics are concerned only with
getting their papers published, and many have no real idea of what open
access is and why it might work to their advantage.

Tom Wilson

On 31 March 2015 at 14:21, Gu=C3=A9don Jean-Claude <
jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca> wrote:

> [...]
> BDL to a different publishing platform, in 2008 Banks had to make the har=
> decision to cease publishing the journal.
>
> What do we learn from BDL=E2=80=99s short life? In advocating for pay-to-=
publish
> gold OA did open access advocates underestimate how much it costs to
> publish a journal? Or have publishers simply been able to capture open
> access and use it to further ramp up what many believe to be their
> excessive profits? Why has JMLA continued to prosper under open access
> while BDL has withered and died? Was BDL unable to compete with JMLA on a
> level playing field? Could the demise of BDL have been avoided?  What, if
> anything, does the journal=E2=80=99s fate tell us about the future of ope=
n access?

> These and other questions are discussed with Banks in a Q&A interview

--=20
--------------------
T.D. Wilson, PhD (Sheffield), PhD, h.c.(Gothenburg), PhD, h.c.(Murcia),
Professor Emeritus, University of Sheffield
Publisher and Editor in Chief: Information Research
http://informationr.net/ir/
E-mail: t.d.wilson AT shef.ac.uk <wilsontd AT gmail.com>
---------------------

--bcaec5171ab183b2f10512ac01b5

to the disti=
nction between truly open access - which I define as &quot;open at both
end=
s&quot; (i.e., at submission and use), and for which I coined the term
&quo=
t;Platinum OA&quot;, which was picked up and used by a few others - the
use=
 of a completely different term to define true OA would certainly end the c=
find it difficult to co=
pe with Platinum OA, since, by definition it earns no income.=C2=A0 I assum=
e that the MLA subsidises its OA journal and that members of the MLA find i=
t an appropriate use of their
>Information Research (<a href=3D"http://informationr.net/ir/"
target=3D"_b=
lank">http://informationr.net/ir/</a>) is now in its 20th year of
publicati=
on as a truly open access journal - it has no income, functions with volunt=
ary regional editors, copy-editors and layout editors - the only direct cos=
ts are those associated with the maintenance of the server, which is undert=
aken, in support of the journal, by Lund University.=C2=A0 In other words, =
Platinum OA is possible, if academics are motivated to ensure its possibili=
ty.=C2=A0 Sadly, because of the current publish or perish syndrome and the =
curse of the impact factor, most academics are concerned only with getting =
their papers published, and many have no real idea of what open access is a=
nd why it might work to their
class=3D"gmail_quote">On 3=
1 March 2015 at 14:21, Gu=C3=A9don Jean-Claude <span
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hre=
f=3D"mailto:jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca"
target=3D"_blank">jean.claude.=
guedon AT umontreal.ca</a>&gt;</span>
wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quo=
te" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
solid;padding-left:1ex"=
>Could I, once more, ask Richard Poynder (and many others) not to confuse G=
old OA and APC-Gold.<br>
APC-Gold is uncovering problems that had not been anticipated at first. Poy=
nder mentions one in his note, and assigns it to the whole Gold OA. Predato=
ry journals exist only because the APC-Gold business model opens the door t=
o this odious kind od polluting and parasitic behaviour. However, and I rep=
eat, APC-Gold is but one subset of Gold OA.<br>
Is it so difficult to understand?<br>
Just to make things very, very clear: Gold OA is agnostic with regard to bu=
siness plans, and it does not limit itself to one business plan. This is a =
form of thinking-in-a-box that requires the breaking of the box.<br>
Jean-Claude Gu=C3=A9don<br>
________________________________<br>
De : <a href=3D"mailto:boai-forum-bounces AT ecs.soton.ac.uk"
target=3D"_blank=
">boai-forum-bounces AT ecs.soton.ac.uk</a> [<a
href=3D"mailto:boai-forum-boun=
ces AT ecs.soton.ac.uk" target=3D"_blank">boai-forum-bounces
AT ecs.soton.ac.uk</=
a>] de la part de Richard Poynder [<a href=3D"mailto:richard.poynder
AT cantab=
.net" target=3D"_blank">richard.poynder AT
cantab.net</a>]<br>
Envoy=C3=A9 : mardi 31 mars 2015 08:10<br>
=C3=80 : <a href=3D"mailto:boai-forum AT ecs.soton.ac.uk"
target=3D"_blank">bo=
ai-forum AT ecs.soton.ac.uk</a><br>
Objet : [BOAI] The Life and Death of an Open Access Journal: Q&amp;A with
L=
ibrarian Marcus Banks<br>
Despite their high profile advocacy for open access, many librarians have p=
roved strangely reluctant to practice what they preach. As late as last yea=
r calls were still being made for the profession to start =E2=80=9Cwalking =
the talk=E2=80=9D.<br>
On the other hand, many librarians have embraced OA, particularly medical l=
ibrarians. In 2001, for instance, the Journal of the Medical Library Associ=
ation (JMLA) began to make its content freely available on the Internet. An=
d in 2003 Charles Greenberg, then at the Yale University Medical Library, l=
aunched an open access journal with BioMed Central called Biomedical Digita=
l Libraries (BDL). One of the first to join the editorial board (and later =
to take over as Editor-in-Chief) was Marcus Banks, who was then working at =
the US National Library of Medicine.<br>
Four years later, however, BDL became a victim of BMC=E2=80=99s decision to=
 increase the cost of the article-processing charges (APCs) it levies. This=
 meant that few librarians were able to afford to publish in the journal an=
y longer, and submissions began to dry up. Despite several attempts to move=
 BDL to a different publishing platform, in 2008 Banks had to make the hard=
 decision to cease publishing the journal.<br>
What do we learn from BDL=E2=80=99s short life? In advocating for pay-to-pu=
blish gold OA did open access advocates underestimate how much it costs to =
publish a journal? Or have publishers simply been able to capture open acce=
ss and use it to further ramp up what many believe to be their excessive pr=
ofits? Why has JMLA continued to prosper under open access while BDL has wi=
thered and died? Was BDL unable to compete with JMLA on a level playing fie=
ld? Could the demise of BDL have been avoided?=C2=A0 What, if anything, doe=
s the journal=E2=80=99s fate tell us about the future of open access?<br>
These and other questions are discussed with Banks in a Q&amp;A interview
h=
ere:<br>
<a
href=3D"http://poynder.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/the-life-and-death-of-open=
-access.html"
target=3D"_blank">http://poynder.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/the-l=
ife-and-death-of-open-access.html</a><br>
To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this page:<br>
<a
href=3D"http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum"
targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum</a=
PhD,=
 h.c.(Gothenburg), PhD, h.c.(Murcia),<div>Professor Emeritus, University
of=
Information Researc=
h</div><div><a href=3D"http://informationr.net/ir/"
target=3D"_blank">http:=