[BOAI] Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia

From: Daniel Mietchen <daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 00:15:57 +0200

Threading:      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from t.d.wilson AT sheffield.ac.uk
             [BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com
             [BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com
             [BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from t.d.wilson AT sheffield.ac.uk

Dear all,

your feedback is invited on a system to signal the openness of
references cited on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Open_Access/Signalling_OA-ness
.

Millions of references are being cited on Wikipedia, including on
scholarly topics. [1]
The citation typically contains a hyperlink to an online version of
the cited resource, yet many of these are paywalled and thus not
accessible to the vast majority of Wikipedia readers.

So the above-mentioned proposal has been made to signal the OA-ness of
a cited reference. One of the expected effects of the scheme is to
save readers the disappointing clicks on links leading them to
paywalls. Considering that all Wikipedias combined get over 20 billion
page views per month [2] and e.g. medical topics on the English
Wikipedia still over 200 million views per month [3], there is a lot
of potential to save clicks.

Another possible effect is that the signaling of the availability of
an OA version might entice some readers to actually click through to
the reference when they otherwise would not, especially after having
hit paywalls in previous attempts.

Furthermore, such a system might signal to Wikipedia editors if they
can use materials from a particular cited source, e.g. images or video
files. [4]

Your thoughts on any of these or related issues would be greatly
appreciated. The preferred channel for feedback would be the talk page
of that proposal [5].

Thanks and cheers,

Daniel
for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Open_Access

[1] http://opensym.org/wsos2013/proceedings/p0203-ford.pdf found
67,026,537 cited sources on the English Wikipedia as of May 2, 2012.
[2] http://reportcard.wmflabs.org/
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:MED500
[4] For an overview of the extent to which images and other media from
OA sources are being used across Wikimedia projects, see
http://tools.wmflabs.org/glamtools/baglama.php?group=Open+access+%28publishing%29&date=201307
.
[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Open_Access/Signalling_OA-ness

[BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia

From: "Prof. T.D. Wilson" <t.d.wilson AT sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 12:46:28 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com
      • This Message

--001a1133eaca838aec04e58c84ac

Hello Daniel,

I have the same issue in relation to references in the open acess e-journal
I publish (http://informationr.net/ir/). My solution is to provide links
only to open sources and also to ask authors to archive such sources to
WebCite - you'll see this in most of the papers in recent volumes on the
site.  Archiving to WebCite is absolutely essential, since the open sources
have limited lifetimes - one calculation suggests a half-life of only 2.5
years - arciving to WebCite means that the item should be available more or
less indefinitely, or at least as long as WebCite continues to function.

Kind regards,

Tom Wilson

On 4 September 2013 00:15, Daniel Mietchen
<daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> your feedback is invited on a system to signal the openness of
> references cited on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Open_Access/Signalling_OA-ness
> .
>
> Millions of references are being cited on Wikipedia, including on
> scholarly topics. [1]
> The citation typically contains a hyperlink to an online version of
> the cited resource, yet many of these are paywalled and thus not
> accessible to the vast majority of Wikipedia readers.
>
> So the above-mentioned proposal has been made to signal the OA-ness of
> a cited reference. One of the expected effects of the scheme is to
> save readers the disappointing clicks on links leading them to
> paywalls. Considering that all Wikipedias combined get over 20 billion
> page views per month [2] and e.g. medical topics on the English
> Wikipedia still over 200 million views per month [3], there is a lot
> of potential to save clicks.
>
> Another possible effect is that the signaling of the availability of
> an OA version might entice some readers to actually click through to
> the reference when they otherwise would not, especially after having
> hit paywalls in previous attempts.
>
> Furthermore, such a system might signal to Wikipedia editors if they
> can use materials from a particular cited source, e.g. images or video
> files. [4]
>
> Your thoughts on any of these or related issues would be greatly
> appreciated. The preferred channel for feedback would be the talk page
> of that proposal [5].
>
> Thanks and cheers,
>
> Daniel
> for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Open_Access
>

> [1] http://opensym.org/wsos2013/proceedings/p0203-ford.pdf found
> 67,026,537 cited sources on the English Wikipedia as of May 2, 2012.
> [2] http://reportcard.wmflabs.org/
> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:MED500
> [4] For an overview of the extent to which images and other media from
> OA sources are being used across Wikimedia projects, see

http://tools.wmflabs.org/glamtools/baglama.php?group=Open+access+%28publishing%29&date=201307
> .
> [5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Open_Access/Signalling_OA-ness

Professor T.D. Wilson, PhD, PhD (h.c.)
Publisher and Editor in Chief: Information Research
http://informationr.net/ir/
E-mail: wilsontd AT gmail.com

--001a1133eaca838aec04e58c84ac

 issue in relation to references in the open acess e-journal I publish (<a =
href=3D"http://informationr.net/ir/">http://informationr.net/ir/</a>). My s=
olution is to provide links only to open sources and also to ask authors to=
 archive such sources to WebCite - you&#39;ll see this in most of the
paper=
s in recent volumes on the site.=A0 Archiving to WebCite is absolutely esse=
ntial, since the open sources have limited lifetimes - one calculation sugg=
ests a half-life of only 2.5 years - arciving to WebCite means that the ite=
m should be available more or less indefinitely, or at least as long as Web=
Cite continues to function.</div>
Wilson</div></=
class=3D"gmail_quote">On 4 Sept=
ember 2013 00:15, Daniel Mietchen <span
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:d=
aniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com"
target=3D"_blank">daniel.mietchen AT googlemail=
.8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Dear all,<br>
your feedback is invited on a system to signal the openness of<br>
references cited on Wikipedia:<br>
<a
href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Open_Access/=
Signalling_OA-ness"
target=3D"_blank">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped=
ia:WikiProject_Open_Access/Signalling_OA-ness</a><br>
.<br>
Millions of references are being cited on Wikipedia, including on<br>
scholarly topics. [1]<br>
The citation typically contains a hyperlink to an online version of<br>
the cited resource, yet many of these are paywalled and thus not<br>
accessible to the vast majority of Wikipedia readers.<br>
So the above-mentioned proposal has been made to signal the OA-ness
of<br>
a cited reference. One of the expected effects of the scheme is to<br>
save readers the disappointing clicks on links leading them to<br>
paywalls. Considering that all Wikipedias combined get over 20
billion<br>
page views per month [2] and e.g. medical topics on the English<br>
Wikipedia still over 200 million views per month [3], there is a lot<br>
of potential to save clicks.<br>
Another possible effect is that the signaling of the availability of<br>
an OA version might entice some readers to actually click through to<br>
the reference when they otherwise would not, especially after having<br>
hit paywalls in previous attempts.<br>
Furthermore, such a system might signal to Wikipedia editors if they<br>
can use materials from a particular cited source, e.g. images or
video<br>
files. [4]<br>
Your thoughts on any of these or related issues would be greatly<br>
appreciated. The preferred channel for feedback would be the talk
page<br>
of that proposal [5].<br>
Thanks and cheers,<br>
Daniel<br>
for <a
href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Open_Acc=
ess"
target=3D"_blank">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_=
Open_Access</a><br>
[1] <a
href=3D"http://opensym.org/wsos2013/proceedings/p0203-ford.pdf" targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://opensym.org/wsos2013/proceedings/p0203-ford.pdf</a> fo=
und<br>
67,026,537 cited sources on the English Wikipedia as of May 2, 2012.<br>
[2] <a href=3D"http://reportcard.wmflabs.org/"
target=3D"_blank">http://rep=
ortcard.wmflabs.org/</a><br>
[3] <a href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:MED500"
target=3D"_b=
lank">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:MED500</a><br>
[4] For an overview of the extent to which images and other media
from<br>
OA sources are being used across Wikimedia projects, see<br>
<a
href=3D"http://tools.wmflabs.org/glamtools/baglama.php?group=3DOpen+acce=
ss+%28publishing%29&amp;date=3D201307"
target=3D"_blank">http://tools.wmfla=
bs.org/glamtools/baglama.php?group=3DOpen+access+%28publishing%29&amp;date=
=3D201307</a><br>

.<br>
[5] <a
href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Ope=
n_Access/Signalling_OA-ness"
target=3D"_blank">https://en.wikipedia.org/wik=
i/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Open_Access/Signalling_OA-ness</a><br>
--<br>
To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this page:<br>
<a
href=3D"http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum"
targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum</a=
clear=3D"all"><br>--
----------------------------------------------------------</div>Professor
T=
.D. Wilson, PhD, PhD (h.c.)<div>Publisher and Editor in Chief:
Information =
Research</div>
target=3D"_blank">http://infor=
href=3D"mailto:wilsontd AT gmail.com"=
 target=3D"_blank">wilsontd AT

[BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia

From: Daniel Mietchen <daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 01:19:30 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com
      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from holloway.julia AT tiscali.it
             [BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from holl AT konkoly.hu
             [BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from holloway.julia AT tiscali.it

Dear Tom,

linking out only to freely available content is certainly an option,
but the initiative that I was referring to has a slightly different
goal - it wants to signal to the readers and editors of Wikipedia
pages (starting with English) not just whether a given reference is
free to read but also whether it is free to reuse, or not.

To take the example of your journal Information Research, its CC
BY-NC-ND license would make it free to read but not free to reuse on
Wikipedia (where materials under -NC and -ND clauses are not
accepted).

I agree that WebCite is useful, and I would like to see it (or some
functional equivalent) used more often by scholarly publishers.

Best,

Daniel

From: Julia Bolton Holloway <holloway.julia AT tiscali.it>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 09:06:19 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com
      • This Message

We really need a keyboard copyleft symbol that we can use on documents
and web pages.
--
Julia Bolton Holloway Mediatheca 'Fioretta Mazzei' 'English' Cemetery
P.le Donatello, 38 50132 FIRENZE ITALY

[BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia

From: Daniel Mietchen <daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 10:01:18 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com
      • This Message

Here is a past discussion on a Unicode symbol for copyleft:
http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2012-m07/0369.html .

Daniel

From: "Andras Holl" <holl AT konkoly.hu>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 09:48:12 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com
      • This Message

Hi,

The copyleft situation is not so simple that we could use a single symbol.
There are, and rightfully so, several copyleft licenses for different
purposes, CC - with all the possible modifiers - can not cover every need.
So I prefer the approach when we have more than one - a few - different,
already widely used symbols: CC, the orange open padlock (which covers
gratis OA as well), and maybe a couple of more.

To see the accessibility, and to see the reusability are both important,
but we can not put every document to the bed of Procustes, however
appealing the simplicity would be.

Andras Holl

Andras Holl / Holl Andras                e-mail: holl AT konkoly.hu
Konkoly Observatory / MTA CsFK CsI       Tel.: +36 1 3919368 Fax: +36 1 2754668
IT manager / Szamitastechn. rendszervez. Mail: H1525 POBox 67, Budapest,
Hungary

[BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia

From: "Prof. T.D. Wilson" <t.d.wilson AT sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 10:14:08 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com
      • This Message

--089e0117691597ddb304e59e81ea

This is probably not the place to debate the BOAI definition, but I think
there's a distinction to be made between the ND clause and "re-use".
The
ND clause in effect prevents someone from taking a work and incorporating
their own material to produce a new work, without permission, whereas
"re-use" could mean either the creation of a derivative work or
simply,
taking a work and re-presenting it in a new environment. I don't think the
ND clause would prevent Wikipedia, for example, taking a paper from
Information Research and presenting it as a supplement or appendix to an
article in the encyclopedia, and, given that Wikipedia is non-commercial,
the NC clause is not involved.

On 5 September 2013 09:06, Julia Bolton Holloway
<holloway.julia AT tiscali.it>wrote:

> We really need a keyboard copyleft symbol that we can use on documents
> and web pages.
> --
> Julia Bolton Holloway Mediatheca 'Fioretta Mazzei' 'English' Cemetery
> P.le Donatello, 38 50132 FIRENZE ITALY

Professor T.D. Wilson, PhD, PhD (h.c.)
Publisher and Editor in Chief: Information Research
http://informationr.net/ir/
E-mail: wilsontd AT gmail.com

--089e0117691597ddb304e59e81ea

BOAI definiti=
on, but I think there&#39;s a distinction to be made between the ND clause
=
and &quot;re-use&quot;.=A0 The ND clause in effect prevents someone
from ta=
king a work and incorporating their own material to produce a new work, wit=
hout permission,=A0whereas &quot;re-use&quot; could mean either the
creatio=
n of a derivative work or simply, taking a work and re-presenting it in a n=
ew environment. I don&#39;t think the ND clause would prevent Wikipedia,
fo=
r example, taking a paper from Information Research and presenting it as a =
supplement or appendix to an article in the encyclopedia, and, given that W=
ikipedia is non-commercial, the NC clause is not involved.</div>
class=3D"gmail_quote">On 5 Septembe=
r 2013 09:06, Julia Bolton Holloway <span
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
:holloway.julia AT tiscali.it"
target=3D"_blank">holloway.julia AT tiscali.it</a>=
&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
.8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">We really need a keyboard copyleft
symbol th=
at we can use on documents<br>
and web pages.<br>
color=3D"#888888">--<br>
Julia Bolton Holloway Mediatheca &#39;Fioretta Mazzei&#39;
&#39;English&#39=
; Cemetery<br>
P.le Donatello, 38 50132 FIRENZE ITALY<br>
class=3D"h5"><br>

From: Julia Bolton Holloway <holloway.julia AT tiscali.it>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 15:30:05 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com
      • This Message

In my own case I don't mind material I have placed on the web, etc.,
re-used, provided I am cited. It is there as scholarship to be shared
openly. Otherwise it would be plagiary. I find the copyright world
impossible. Publishers control it, not authors, and I find publishers
sell one's published books to places like Questia, which one can't
access with paying them - to read one's own material! Also, scholarly
journals publish reviews of my books but don't send me a copy and block
me from reading said reviews behind a paywall. Essentially copyright for
authors is destroyed. A poor scholar cannot afford to legally challenge
publishers and others from selling one's research. Why I would be so
grateful for a usable copyleft symbol
http://www.florin.ms
http://www.umilta.net