[BOAI] Further Finch Folly - Swets: "Let Us Manage the RCUK Gold For You!"

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum AT gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 21:23:36 -0400

Threading:      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: Further Finch Folly - Swets: "Let Us Manage the RCUK Gold For You!" from amsciforum AT gmail.com

--047d7b6042be5d9d7204e1aaf10d

Are you ready for this? Swets is offering a service to manage Gold OA
payments!

What utter nonsense!

It's authors who publish and (if Gold) pay (regardless of whose funds they
are using).

What on earth makes Swets imagine that authors need an institutional
subscription-like service to mediate? (Publishers' hybrid Gold
"Membership"
schemes?)

Answer, yet again: Finch Folly, and the RCUK Ruckus about how UK authors
spend their Gold allotments=85

But parasitism has become a comfortable way of life, for both publishers
and "aggregators," especially when they can deal with librarians as
mediators and purchasing agents=85

(Forget all this Fool's Gold and just mandate & provide Green OA. All the
rest will take care of itself.)

Stevan Harnad

SWETS Launches Open Access APC Management
Service<http://www.swets.com/swets-launches-open-access-apc-management-serv=
ice>
**

The rise in open access publishing is one of the biggest transitions we
have seen in the information industry. It was estimated that 180,000
articles were to be published via paid open access (gold) in 2012. This
rise has naturally developed a need for library or institutional support
services that can help manage the new OA-related processes and workflows
that now exist between libraries, researchers, publishers and funders. ****

At Swets, we feel that we can add value to these new processes, and at the
same time save our customers time and money.
NEW: Article processing charge (APC) management****

*A major administrative burden of the paid (gold) open access publishing
model is the article processing charge, which are paid to publishers for
gold OA papers.*

*For the institution or library, the massive growth in the number of
articles requiring APCs is already putting extra pressure on resources.*Com=
mon
problems we hear about include:****

   - Administrative time making individual micro-payments****
   - Managing multiple APC invoices from multiple publishers****
   - Adding extra responsibilities to already over-stretched staff****
   - Mapping out and testing uncertain and non-standardised workflows****
   - Future extra staffing costs to meet increasing APC management demands*=
*
   **

Our expertise in handling multiple financial transactions gives us the
skills to offer a new service handling time-consuming and costly APCs for
institutions and organizations around the world.****
So what is our service?****

Swets' Open Access services aim to reduce the administrative burden on your
library or institution by managing the complex APC invoicing and payment
process on your behalf, saving you time and resources, which are both
costly.****

Our service features:****

   1. APC management for all types of institution****
   2. APC fund management****
   3. Secure financial transactions****
   4. Multiple payments to multiple publishers****
   5. Detailed real-time reporting****
   6. Established relationships with thousands of publishers****

Our standard process is outlined below. If you have particular requirements
that are not featured here, our service has been developed to be flexible
and customisable, so contact us today to discuss how we could address your
particular needs.****
** **
** **

--047d7b6042be5d9d7204e1aaf10d

style=3D"word-wrap:break-word"><div><span s=
tyle=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:medium">Are you ready for
this? Swe=
ts is offering a service to manage Gold OA
 style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:medium"><br>
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:medium">Wh=
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica=
ca;font-size:medium">It&#39;s authors who publish and (if Gold) pay
(regard=
less of whose funds they are using).=A0</span></div>
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:medium"><br></span></di=
v><div><span
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:medium">What on earth=
 makes Swets imagine that authors need an institutional subscription-like s=
ervice to mediate? (Publishers&#39; hybrid Gold
&quot;Membership&quot; sche=
mes?)</span></div>
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:medium"><br></span></di=
v><div><span
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:medium">Answer, yet a=
gain: Finch Folly, and the RCUK Ruckus about how UK authors spend their Gol=
d allotments=85</span><div
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:medium"=

style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:medium">But parasit=
ism has become a comfortable way of life, for both publishers and
&quot;agg=
regators,&quot; especially when they can deal with librarians as mediators
=
and purchasing agents=85</div>
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:medium"><br></div><div style=
=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:medium">(Forget all this
Fool&#39;s Gol=
d and just mandate &amp; provide Green OA. All the rest will take care of
i=
tself.)</div>
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:medium"><br></div><div style=
=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:medium">Stevan
Harnad</div><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div lang=3D"EN-AU"
link=3D"blue" vlink=3D"purple" style=3D"f=
ont-family:Helvetica;font-size:medium;font-style:normal;font-variant:normal=
;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;line-height:normal;text-align:-we=
bkit-auto;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spaci=
ng:0px">
<h1
style=3D"margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:24pt;font-family:&#=
39;Times New Roman&#39;,serif;font-weight:bold"><a
href=3D"http://www.swets=
.com/swets-launches-open-access-apc-management-service">SWETS Launches
Open=
style=3D"margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#3=
9;Times New Roman&#39;,serif">The rise in open access publishing is
one of =
the biggest transitions we have seen in the information industry. It was es=
timated that 180,000 articles were to be published via paid open access (go=
ld) in 2012. This rise has naturally developed a need for library or instit=
utional support services that can help manage the new OA-related processes =
and workflows that now exist between libraries, researchers, publishers and=
style=3D"margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#3=
9;Times New Roman&#39;,serif">At Swets, we feel that we can add
value to th=
ese new processes, and at the same time save our customers time and money.<=
/p>
<h2
style=3D"margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:18pt;font-family:&#=
39;Times New Roman&#39;,serif;font-weight:bold"><span
style=3D"color:green"=
>NEW</span><span>: Article processing charge (APC)
<u></u></h2>
style=3D"margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#3=
9;Times New Roman&#39;,serif"><b>A major administrative
burden of the paid =
(gold) open access publishing model is the article processing charge, which=
 are paid to publishers for gold OA
style=3D"margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#3=
9;Times New Roman&#39;,serif"><b>For the institution or
library, the massiv=
e growth in the number of articles requiring APCs is already putting extra =
pressure on resources.</b>Common problems we hear about
/u></p>
<ul type=3D"disc" style=3D"margin-bottom:0cm"><li
class=3D"MsoNormal" style=
=3D"margin:0cm 0cm
0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">=
Administrative time making individual
class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin:0cm 0cm
0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-fa=
mily:Calibri,sans-serif">
Managing multiple APC invoices from multiple
li class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin:0cm 0cm
0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font=
-family:Calibri,sans-serif">Adding extra responsibilities to already
over-s=
<li class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin:0cm 0cm
0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;fon=
t-family:Calibri,sans-serif">Mapping out and testing uncertain and
non-stan=
class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margi=
n:0cm 0cm 0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">
Future extra staffing costs to meet increasing APC management
demands<u></u=
style=3D"margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:12=
pt;font-family:&#39;Times New Roman&#39;,serif">Our expertise
in handling m=
ultiple financial transactions gives us the skills to offer a new service h=
andling time-consuming and costly APCs for institutions and organizations a=
<h4
style=3D"margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#=
39;Times New Roman&#39;,serif;font-weight:bold">So what is our
service?<u><=
/u><u></u></h4><p
style=3D"margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:12pt;=
font-family:&#39;Times New Roman&#39;,serif">
Swets&#39; Open Access services aim to reduce the administrative burden on
=
your library or institution by managing the complex APC invoicing and payme=
nt process on your behalf, saving you time and resources, which are both co=
style=3D"margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#3=
9;Times New Roman&#39;,serif">Our service
art=3D"1" type=3D"1"
style=3D"margin-bottom:0cm"><li class=3D"MsoNormal"
st=
yle=3D"margin:0cm 0cm
0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-seri=
f">
APC management for all types of
class=3D"=
MsoNormal" style=3D"margin:0cm 0cm
0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Cali=
bri,sans-serif">APC fund
class=3D"MsoNorma=
l" style=3D"margin:0cm 0cm
0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans=
-serif">
Secure financial
class=3D"MsoNormal" sty=
le=3D"margin:0cm 0cm
0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif=
">Multiple payments to multiple
class=3D"M=
soNormal" style=3D"margin:0cm 0cm
0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calib=
ri,sans-serif">
Detailed real-time
class=3D"MsoNormal" styl=
e=3D"margin:0cm 0cm
0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"=
>Established relationships with thousands of
/ol>
style=3D"margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#3=
9;Times New Roman&#39;,serif">Our standard process is outlined
below. If yo=
u have particular requirements that are not featured here, our service has =
been developed to be flexible and customisable, so contact us today to disc=
uss how we could address your particular
0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sa=
style=3D"margin:0cm 0cm 0.0001pt;font=
lockquote>

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum AT gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 09:07:29 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] Further Finch Folly - Swets: "Let Us Manage the RCUK Gold For You!" from amsciforum AT gmail.com
      • This Message

--047d7b621c689f9f3c04e1b4c65f

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Robert Jacobs <rjacobs AT uk.swets.com>
wrote=
:

> I find your message here a little confusing, as you seem to be railing
> against a number of different parties. The simple fact is that the RCUK,
> and increasingly other funding bodies, are channelling funds specifically
> to pay for the APCs under Gold Open Access via the institution, and most
> Universities in the UK who have this funding are channelling it via the
> library, not the individual authors. Each library is currently developing
> their own processes and systems to support the efficient management of
> these APC payments, as there is significant cost involved in managing any
> process developed on an individual organisation scale.
>
> The benefit of a shared service and the economies of scale which
> intermediaries can offer are significant, and in the real world we all ha=
ve
> to live by the value we deliver. If we don=92t deliver value, then we don=
=92t
> have a role to play in this.
>
> You seem to have missed the fact that there is now, in the UK, funding in
> place to encourage the processing of many thousands of APCs, and this is
> hugely inefficient if done at an individual institution level, let alone =
at
> individual author level as you seem to suggest is the case.
>
> As Gold is the current model of choice for RCUK there is a real need to
> help streamline processes, to save money and to improve service. If
> companies like Swets can support this then that is not parasitic, it=92s =
what
> drives best practice and scales efficiency. Our service has been develope=
> independently of any philosophical arguments for or against gold/green op=
en
> access publishing, and after much dialogue with UK university libraries.

No confusion:

A. Yes, I am "railing" against (i) Finch/RCUK, for its foolish policy
of
wasting scarce research money on Gold OA instead of effectively mandating
cost-free Green OA, (ii) against institutions who unthinkingly treat Gold
OA fees as if they were a library matter (!), and (iii) against third party
businesses, eager to cash in on Finch/RCUK's folly and institutional
confusion.

B. The RCUK Gold policy is an ill-thought-out, incoherent,
counterproductive policy, for reasons that have by now been described many
times by many authors.

C. Consigning the process of (double) paying publishers for Gold OA -- over
and above already paying for subscriptions -- to a 3rd party
"service"
would simply be a way of sweeping the defects of the Finch/RCUK policy
under the rug.

To repeat: It's authors who publish, and authors who pay to publish (if
they wish, or must). Author payment is not a subscription matter, not a
library matter, and not a library aggregator matter.

Stevan Harnad

--047d7b621c689f9f3c04e1b4c65f

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Robert Jacobs <span
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hre=
f=3D"mailto:rjacobs AT uk.swets.com"
target=3D"_blank">rjacobs AT uk.swets.com</a=
>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><div
class=3D"gmail_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmai=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
solid;padding-left=
:1ex">
I find your message here a little confusing, as you seem to be railing agai=
nst a number of different parties. The simple fact is that the RCUK, and in=
creasingly other funding bodies, are channelling funds specifically to pay =
for the APCs under Gold Open Access via the institution, and most Universit=
ies in the UK who have this funding are channelling it via the library, not=
 the individual authors. Each library is currently developing their own pro=
cesses and systems to support the efficient management of these APC payment=
s, as there is significant cost involved in managing any process developed =
on an individual organisation scale.<br>

The benefit of a shared service and the economies of scale which intermedia=
ries can offer are significant, and in the real world we all have to live b=
y the value we deliver. If we don=92t deliver value, then we don=92t have a=
 role to play in this.<br>

You seem to have missed the fact that there is now, in the UK, funding in p=
lace to encourage the processing of many thousands of APCs, and this is hug=
ely inefficient if done at an individual institution level, let alone at in=
dividual author level as you seem to suggest is the case.<br>

As Gold is the current model of choice for RCUK there is a real need to hel=
p streamline processes, to save money and to improve service. If companies =
like Swets can support this then that is not parasitic, it=92s what drives =
best practice and scales efficiency. Our service has been developed indepen=
dently of any philosophical arguments for or against gold/green open access=
 publishing, and after much dialogue with UK university libraries.<br>

style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:m=
Yes, I am &quot;railing&quot;=
 against (i) Finch/RCUK, for its foolish policy of wasting scarce research =
money on Gold OA instead of effectively mandating cost-free Green OA, (ii) =
against institutions who unthinkingly treat Gold OA fees as if they were a =
library matter (!), and (iii) against third party businesses, eager to cash=
 in on Finch/RCUK&#39;s folly and institutional confusion.</div>
is an ill-thought-out, inc=
oherent, counterproductive policy, for reasons that have by now been descri=
bed many times by many
the =
process of (double) paying publishers for Gold OA -- over and above already=
 paying for subscriptions -- to a 3rd party &quot;service&quot; would
simpl=
y be a way of sweeping the defects of the Finch/RCUK policy under the rug.<=
/div>
authors who publish, and auth=
ors who pay to publish (if they wish, or must). Author payment is not a sub=
scription matter, not a library matter, and not a library aggregator matter=
.</div>

--047d7b621c689f9f3c04e1b4c65f--