[BOAI] Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria

From: Peter Suber <peter.suber AT gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 12:59:51 -0400

Threading:      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria from jan.szczepanski63 AT gmail.com
             [BOAI] Re: Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria from jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca
             [BOAI] Re: Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria from david.prosser AT rluk.ac.uk
             [BOAI] Re: Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria from Jeffrey.Beall AT ucdenver.edu
             [BOAI] Re: Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria from dsolomon AT msu.edu

--089e0102fb069822b404def7f3cc

[Forwarding from the Directory of Open Access Journals, via the GOAL list.
 --Peter Suber.]

The Directory of Open Access Journals (www.doaj.org) is delighted to
announce new selection criteria and *hereby announces that these new
criteria are open for public comment until July 15th*.

The DOAJ-team has developed the criteria and our Advisory Board (
http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=3DloadTemplate&template=3Dabout&uiLanguage=3D=
en#board)
has provided input and comments.

With the growth in the number of researc
funders, institutional open access policies and mandates, all stakeholders
involved =96 researchers (as authors and readers), research managers, staff
managing publication funds, librarians, universities and research funders -
need a trusted and reliable information resource that identifies good
quality open access journals and filters out disreputable publishers.
Equally, the former have a vested interest in not being associated with the
latter.

 We have tried to construct objective criteria that can facilitate
compliance verification easily.

In order to be listed in the DOAJ, a journal must meet the following
criteria:

*
Journal will be asked to provide basic information (title, ISSN, etc.),
contact information, and information about journal policies

*
Journal is registered with SHERPA/RoMEO

*
Journal has an editorial board with clearly identifiable members (including
affiliation information)

*
 Journal publishes a minimum of five articles per year (does not apply for
new journals)

*
 Allows use and reuse at leastat the following levels (as specified in the
Open Access Spectrum, http://www.plos.org/about/open-access/howopenisit/):
- Full text, metadata, and citations of articles can be crawled and
accessed with permission (Machine Readability Level 4)
- Provides free readership rights to all articles immediately upon
publication (Reader Rights Level 1)
- Reuse is subject to certain restrictions; no remixing (Reuse Rights Level
3)
- Allow authors to retain copyright in their article with no restrictions
(Copyrights Level 1)
- Author can post the final, peer-reviewed manuscript version (postprint)
to any repository or website (Author Posting Rights Level 2)

You may review the complete list of criteria here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=3D0AlFw8p9XB3C6dHE3ZC1Hd2FMMjAw=
eE96czRQb3NDbnc&usp=3Dsharing

 Future submissions for inclusion in to DOAJ must include the complete set
of information provided by the publisher. This information will be publicly
available in the Directory. The journals currently listed in the DOAJ will
have to go through a re-evaluation process based on the new criteria. This
work will take place over the next 12 months or so.

*DOAJ Seal of Approval* At the same time we are launching the DOAJ Seal of
Approval for Open Access Journals (in short: the DOAJ Seal) to encourage a
high practice standard. These journals will be identified with the DOAJ
Seal logo.

In addition to the more general criteria, above, required for inclusion in
the DOAJ, the following criteria must be met for a journal to receive the
DOAJ Seal:

*
 Provides machine readable copyright information to help search engines
identify open works

*
 Provides DOIs at the article level

*
 Provides metadata to DOAJ at the article level

*
 Has a digital archiving/preservation arrangement in place

*
 Allows use and reuse at least at the following levels (as specified in the
Open Access Spectrum, http://www.plos.org/about/open-access/howopenisit/):
+ Allows a community standard API or other protocol to crawl or access full
text, metadata, citations, and data (including supplementary data) for
articles (Open Access Spectrum: Machine Readability Level 2)
+ Ensures generous reuse and remixing rights (Open Access Spectrum: Reuse
Rights Level 1)
+ Allows authors to post any version of their article to any repository or
website (Open Access Spectrum: Author Posting Rights Level 1)

+++++++++++++++++++++

We are confident that the new criteria will positively contribute to the
transparency of open access. Since open access journals are a relatively
new phenomenon, and one that is continuously changing, we will probably
have to revise the criteria in a couple of years to keep them current and
up to date.

To avoid any misunderstanding, we are restating DOAJ=92s scope here:

The DOAJ has the ambition to continue to be the white list of open access
journals that are global in scope in terms of geography, scientific
discipline and language.

In scope: Journals that provide immediate access to scholarly articles
without reader payment, including back-files from those journals made
freely available after transitioning to open access.

Not in scope: Single articles from subscription based journals made freely
available under an open access option (hybrid articles).

Articles from subscription based journals made freely available after an
embargo period (so-called delayed open access =96 not a term in our
dictionary).

Your comments on the new criteria are much appreciated and will contribute
toward their implementation. Comments must be received before 6pm CEST on
Monday 15th July 2013 and should be sent to the DOAJ Community Manager
Dominic Mitchell (dom AT doaj.org).

Kind regards

Lars Bj=F8rnshauge

Managing Director, DOAJ

--089e0102fb069822b404def7f3cc

class=3D"gmail_default"><font face=3D"trebuchet ms, s=
ans-serif">[Forwarding from the Directory of Open Access Journals, via
the =
GOAL list. =A0--Peter Suber.]</font></div><font
face=3D"trebuchet ms, sans-=
serif"><br>

face=3D"trebuchet ms, sans-serif">T=
he Directory of Open Access Journals (<a
href=3D"http://www.doaj.org" targe=
t=3D"_blank">www.doaj.org</a>) is delighted to announce new
selection crite=
ria and *hereby announces that these new criteria are open for public comme=
nt until July 15th*.<div class=3D"gmail_default"
style=3D"display:inline">

DOAJ-team has developed th=
e criteria and our Advisory Board (<a
href=3D"http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=
=3DloadTemplate&amp;template=3Dabout&amp;uiLanguage=3Den#board"
target=3D"_=
blank">http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=3DloadTemplate&amp;template=3Dabout&am=
p;uiLanguage=3Den#board</a>) has provided input and
comments.</font></p>

=20
growth in the number =
of researc</font></p><div class=3D"gmail_default"
style=3D"display:inline">=
sans-serif">h</font></div><font face=3D"trebuch=
et ms, sans-serif"> funders, institutional open access policies and
mandate=
s, all stakeholders involved =96 researchers (as authors and readers), rese=
arch managers, staff managing publication funds, librarians, universities a=
nd research funders - need a trusted and reliable information resource that=
 identifies good quality open access journals and filters out disreputable =
publishers. Equally, the former have a vested interest in not being associa=
ted with the latter.</font><span
style=3D"font-family:&#39;trebuchet ms&#39=
;,sans-serif">=A0</span><p>

tried to construct obj=
ective criteria that can facilitate compliance verification
easily.</font><=
/p>=20
be listed in the D=
OAJ, a journal must meet the following criteria:</font></p>=20
sans-serif"></font></p><div class=3D"gmail=
_default" style=3D"font-family:&#39;trebuchet
ms&#39;,sans-serif;font-size:=
small;display:inline"><font face=3D"trebuchet ms,
sans-serif">* </font></di=
v>
to provide ba=
sic information (title, ISSN, etc.), contact information, and information a=
bout journal
face=3D"trebuchet ms, sans-=
serif"></font></p>

style=3D"font-family:&#39;trebuchet ms&#39;,sa=
ns-serif;font-size:small;display:inline"><font
face=3D"trebuchet ms, sans-s=
erif">* </font></div><font face=3D"trebuchet ms,
sans-serif">Journal is reg=
istered with SHERPA/RoMEO</font><p>

ms&#39;,sans-serif">*</spa=
n></p><div class=3D"gmail_default"
style=3D"font-family:&#39;trebuchet ms&#=
39;,sans-serif;font-size:small;display:inline"> </div><span
style=3D"font-f=
amily:&#39;trebuchet ms&#39;,sans-serif">Journal has an
editorial board wit=
h clearly identifiable members (including affiliation
information)</span><p=

sans-serif"></font></p><div class=3D"gma=
il_default" style=3D"font-family:&#39;trebuchet
ms&#39;,sans-serif;font-siz=
e:small;display:inline"><font face=3D"trebuchet ms,
sans-serif">*</font></d=
iv>

minimum of f=
ive articles per year (does not apply for new journals)<div
class=3D"gmail_=
default" style=3D"font-family:&#39;trebuchet
ms&#39;,sans-serif;font-size:s=
mall;display:inline">

face=3D"trebuchet ms, sans-serif"></font><=
/p><div class=3D"gmail_default"
style=3D"font-family:&#39;trebuchet ms&#39;=
,sans-serif;font-size:small;display:inline"><font
face=3D"trebuchet ms, san=
s-serif">*</font></div>

at leastat =
the following levels (as specified in the Open Access Spectrum, <a
href=3D"=
http://www.plos.org/about/open-access/howopenisit/"
target=3D"_blank">http:=
//www.plos.org/about/open-access/howopenisit/</a>):<br>

- Full text, metadata, and citations of articles can be crawled and accesse=
d with permission (Machine Readability Level 4)<br>- Provides free
readersh=
ip rights to all articles immediately upon publication (Reader Rights Level=
 1)<br>

- Reuse is subject to certain restrictions; no remixing (Reuse Rights Level=
 3)<br>- Allow authors to retain copyright in their article with no
restric=
tions (Copyrights Level 1)<br>- Author can post the final, peer-reviewed
ma=
nuscript version (postprint) to any repository or website (Author Posting R=
ights Level 2)<br>

href=3D"https://=
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=3D0AlFw8p9XB3C6dHE3ZC1Hd2FMMjAweE96czRQ=
b3NDbnc&amp;usp=3Dsharing"
target=3D"_blank">https://docs.google.com/spread=
sheet/ccc?key=3D0AlFw8p9XB3C6dHE3ZC1Hd2FMMjAweE96czRQb3NDbnc&amp;usp=3Dshar=

submissions for inclusi=
on in to DOAJ must include the complete set of information provided by the =
publisher. This information will be publicly available in the Directory. Th=
e journals currently listed in the DOAJ will have to go through a re-evalua=
tion process based on the new criteria. This work will take place over the =
next 12 months or so.</font></p>

=20
of Approval*=A0At t=
he same time we are launching the DOAJ Seal of Approval for Open Access Jou=
rnals (in short: the DOAJ Seal) to encourage a high practice standard. Thes=
e journals will be identified with the DOAJ Seal logo.</font></p>

=20
to the more genera=
l criteria, above, required for inclusion in the DOAJ, the following criter=
ia must be met for a journal to receive the DOAJ
ace=3D"trebuchet ms, sans-serif"></font></p>

style=3D"font-family:&#39;trebuchet ms&#39;,sa=
ns-serif;font-size:small;display:inline"><font
face=3D"trebuchet ms, sans-s=
erif">*</font></div><font face=3D"trebuchet ms,
sans-serif">=A0Provides mac=
hine readable copyright information to help search engines identify open wo=
rks</font><p>

sans-serif"></font></p><div class=3D"gma=
il_default" style=3D"font-family:&#39;trebuchet
ms&#39;,sans-serif;font-siz=
e:small;display:inline"><font face=3D"trebuchet ms,
sans-serif">*</font></d=
iv>

article lev=
sans-serif"></font></p><div =
class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:&#39;trebuchet
ms&#39;,sans-se=
rif;font-size:small;display:inline">

sans-serif">*</font></div><font face=3D"trebuch=
et ms, sans-serif">=A0Provides metadata to DOAJ at the article
level</font>=
sans-serif"></font></p><div class=3D"=
gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:&#39;trebuchet
ms&#39;,sans-serif;font-=
size:small;display:inline">

sans-serif">*</font></div><font face=3D"trebuch=
et ms, sans-serif">=A0Has a digital archiving/preservation arrangement
in p=
ms, sans-serif"></font></p><di=
v class=3D"gmail_default"
style=3D"font-family:&#39;trebuchet ms&#39;,sans-=
serif;font-size:small;display:inline">

sans-serif">*</font></div><font face=3D"trebuch=
et ms, sans-serif">=A0Allows use and reuse at least at the following
href=3D"http://www.plos.org/=
about/open-access/howopenisit/"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.plos.org/about=
/open-access/howopenisit/</a>):<br>

+ Allows a community standard API or other protocol to crawl or access full=
 text, metadata, citations, and data (including supplementary data) for art=
icles (Open Access Spectrum: Machine Readability Level 2)<br>+ Ensures
gene=
rous reuse and remixing rights (Open Access Spectrum: Reuse Rights Level 1)=

+ Allows authors to post any version of their article to any repository or =
website (Open Access Spectrum: Author Posting Rights Level
=20
sans-serif">+++++++++++++++++++++</font></=
p>=20
confident that the new =
criteria will positively contribute to the transparency of open access. Sin=
ce open access journals are a relatively new phenomenon, and one that is co=
ntinuously changing, we will probably have to revise the criteria in a coup=
le of years to keep them current and up to date.</font></p>

=20
misunderstanding,=
 we are restating DOAJ=92s scope here:</font><span
style=3D"font-family:&#3=
9;trebuchet ms&#39;,sans-serif">=A0</span></p>=20
the ambition to c=
ontinue to be the white list of open access journals that are global in sco=
pe in terms of geography, scientific discipline and
language.</font></p>

=20
scope:=A0Journals that prov=
ide immediate access to scholarly articles without reader payment, includin=
g back-files from those journals made freely available after transitioning =
to open access.</font></p>

=20
scope:=A0Single article=
s from subscription based journals made freely available under an open acce=
ss option (hybrid articles).</font></p>=20
from subscription bas=
ed journals made freely available after an embargo period (so-called delaye=
d open access =96 not a term in our dictionary).</font></p>=20
comments on the new crite=
ria are much appreciated and will contribute toward their implementation. C=
omments must be received before 6pm CEST on Monday 15th July 2013 and shoul=
d be sent to the DOAJ Community Manager Dominic Mitchell (<a
href=3D"mailto=
:dom AT doaj.org" target=3D"_blank">dom AT

=20
sans-serif">=A0</font></p>=20
regards</font></p>=20
ms&#39;,sans-serif">Lars Bj=
sans-serif">Managing D=
irector, DOAJ</font></p>
=20

From: Jan Szczepanski <jan.szczepanski63 AT gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 14:50:27 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria from peter.suber AT gmail.com
      • This Message

Here is a new title in DOAJ. As you can see the Publisher is World
Scholar. This Publisher is noted on

Beall’s List:Potential, possible, or probable predatory scholarly
open-access Publishers.

http://scholarlyoa.com/publishers/

Any explanations?

Jan

American Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences

ISSN/EISSN: 23290781 2329079X
Publisher: World Scholars
Subject: Multidisciplinary
Country: United States Language: English
Start year 2013
Publication fee: Yes --- Further Information
License:
Added to DOAJ: 2013-06-12 13:51:41

(http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=loadTemplate&template=about&uiLanguage=en#board)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlFw8p9XB3C6dHE3ZC1Hd2FMMjAweE96czRQb3NDbnc&usp=sharing

> [...]
> journals that are global in scope in terms of geography, scientific
> discipline and language.
>
> In scope: Journals that provide immediate access to scholarly articles
> without reader payment, including back-files from those journals made
freely
> available after transitioning to open access.
>
> Not in scope: Single articles from subscription based journals made freely
> available under an open access option (hybrid articles).
>
> Articles from subscription based journals made freely available after an
> embargo period (so-called delayed open access – not a term in our
> dictionary).
>
> Your comments on the new criteria are much appreciated and will contribute
> toward their implementation. Comments must be received before 6pm CEST on
> Monday 15th July 2013 and should be sent to the DOAJ Community Manager

Jan Szczepański
F.d Förste bibliotekare och chef för f.d Avdelningen
för humaniora vid Göteborgs universitetsbibliotek
E-post: Jan.Szczepanski63 AT gmail.com

[BOAI] Re: Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria

From: Jean-Claude =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gu=E9don?= <jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 09:26:17 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria from peter.suber AT gmail.com
      • This Message

Beall's list is useful, but that is exactly where it stands. This is not
logical truth.

I saw Hindawi appear in that list a couple of years ago... then it
disappeared

This said, Beall's list is very important and useful, but, like DOAJ, it
is not perfect.

I do not know American Scholars. Whether it should be in DOAJ or not, I
do not know. Perhaps, the DOAJ people should make it a habit to check
their list against Beall's, not as a way to exclude, but as a flag
pointing to the need for further investigation.

Clearly, DOAJ is a (wonderful) work in progress, and I take it that Jan
Szczepanski's remark is positive and meant to help DOAJ (and Beall's
list) improve.

One way for DOAJ to improve would be to place journals in various
quality categories that would be built on reliable indicators (no impact
factor, please...). One of the main tasks of Open Access at this
historical juncture is to rebuild the ways in which value is created
around the results of research. The present system, based as it is on
impact factors, is simply broken and perverse.

Jean-Claude Guédon

Le jeudi 13 juin 2013 à 14:50 +0200, Jan Szczepanski a écrit :

> [...]
articles
> > without reader payment, including back-files from those journals made
freely
> > available after transitioning to open access.
> >
> > Not in scope: Single articles from subscription based journals made
freely
> > available under an open access option (hybrid articles).
> >
> > Articles from subscription based journals made freely available after
an
> > embargo period (so-called delayed open access – not a term in our
> > dictionary).
> >
> > Your comments on the new criteria are much appreciated and will
contribute
> > toward their implementation. Comments must be received before 6pm
CEST on
> > Monday 15th July 2013 and should be sent to the DOAJ Community

Jean-Claude Guédon
Professeur titulaire
Littérature comparée
Université de Montréal

[BOAI] Re: Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria

From: David Prosser <david.prosser AT rluk.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:15:15 +0100

Threading: [BOAI] Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria from peter.suber AT gmail.com
      • This Message

--Apple-Mail-2--163791604

Jan

Yes, Beall and DOAJ have different selection criteria.

David

On 13 Jun 2013, at 13:50, Jan Szczepanski wrote:

> [...]
>> discipline and language.
>>=20
>> In scope: Journals that provide immediate access to scholarly =
articles
>> without reader payment, including back-files from those journals made
=
freely
>> available after transitioning to open access.
>>=20
>> Not in scope: Single articles from subscription based journals made =
freely
>> available under an open access option (hybrid articles).
>>=20
>> Articles from subscription based journals made freely available after
=
an
>> embargo period (so-called delayed open access =E2=80=93 not a term in
=
our
>> dictionary).
>>=20
>> Your comments on the new criteria are much appreciated and will =
contribute
>> toward their implementation. Comments must be received before 6pm =
CEST on
>> Monday 15th July 2013 and should be sent to the DOAJ Community =
Manager
>> Dominic Mitchell (dom AT doaj.org).
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Kind regards
>>=20
>> Lars Bj=C3=B8rnshauge
>>=20
>> Managing Director, DOAJ
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> --
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Jan Szczepa=C5=84ski
> F.d F=C3=B6rste bibliotekare och chef f=C3=B6r f.d Avdelningen
> f=C3=B6r humaniora vid G=C3=B6teborgs universitetsbibliotek
> E-post: Jan.Szczepanski63 AT gmail.com
>=20
>=20
> --     =20

--Apple-Mail-2--163791604

break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
have different selection =
separate; =
color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; font-size: medium; "><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate;
color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: =
normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; font-size: medium; "><div =
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><span
class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
[...]
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><br></div><div
=
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote
type=3D"cite"><div>Here =
is a new title in DOAJ. As you can see the Publisher is =
World<br>Scholar. This Publisher is noted
on<br><br>Beall=E2=80=99s =
List:Potential, possible, or probable predatory scholarly<br>open-access
=
Publishers.<br><br><a =
href=3D"http://scholarlyoa.com/publishers/">http://scholarlyoa.com/publish=
Journal =
of Humanities and Social Sciences<br><br>ISSN/EISSN: 23290781 =
2329079X<br>Publisher: World Scholars<br>Subject: =
Multidisciplinary<br>Country: United States Language:
English<br>Start =
year 2013<br>Publication fee: Yes --- Further =
Information<br>License:<br>Added to DOAJ: 2013-06-12 =
13:51:41<br><br>2013/6/12 Peter Suber =
&lt;peter.suber AT gmail.com&gt;:<br><blockquote
type=3D"cite">[Forwarding =
from the Directory of Open Access Journals, via the GOAL =
list.<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">--Peter =
Suber.]<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">The Directory =
of Open Access Journals (www.doaj.org) is delighted =
to<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">announce new selection =
criteria and *hereby announces that these =
new<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">criteria are open for =
public comment until July 15th*.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">The DOAJ-team =
has developed the criteria and our Advisory =
Board<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">(http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=3DloadTemplate&amp;template=3D=
about&amp;uiLanguage=3Den#board)<br></blockquote><blockquote
=
type=3D"cite">has provided input and =
comments.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">With the growth =
in the number of researc<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">h<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">funders, =
institutional open access policies and mandates, all =
stakeholders<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">involved =E2=80=93 =
researchers (as authors and readers), research managers, =
staff<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">managing publication =
funds, librarians, universities and research funders =
trusted and reliable =
information resource that identifies
good<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">quality open access journals and filters out
disreputable =
publishers.<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">Equally, the =
former have a vested interest in not being associated with =
the<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">latter.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">We have tried =
to construct objective criteria that can facilitate =
compliance<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">verification =
easily.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">In order to be =
listed in the DOAJ, a journal must meet the =
following<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">criteria:<br></blockquote><blockquote
=
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">*<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">Journal will =
be asked to provide basic information (title, ISSN, =
etc.),<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">contact information, =
and information about journal
policies<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">*<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">Journal is =
registered with SHERPA/RoMEO<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">*<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">Journal has an =
editorial board with clearly identifiable members =
(including<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">affiliation =
information)<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">*<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite"> Journal =
publishes a minimum of five articles per year (does not apply =
journals)<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">*<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite"> Allows use =
and reuse at leastat the following levels (as specified in =
Access Spectrum, =
http://www.plos.org/about/open-access/howopenisit/):<br></blockquote><bloc=
kquote type=3D"cite">- Full text, metadata, and citations of
articles =
can be crawled and accessed<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">with=
 permission (Machine Readability Level
4)<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">- Provides free readership rights to all articles =
immediately upon<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">publication =
(Reader Rights Level 1)<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">- =
Reuse is subject to certain restrictions; no remixing (Reuse Rights =
Level<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">3)<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">- Allow =
authors to retain copyright in their article with no =
restrictions<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">(Copyrights Level =
Author can post the =
final, peer-reviewed manuscript version (postprint) =
repository or website =
(Author Posting Rights Level 2)<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">You may review =
the complete list of criteria here:<br></blockquote><blockquote
=
type=3D"cite">https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=3D0AlFw8p9XB3C6d=
HE3ZC1Hd2FMMjAweE96czRQb3NDbnc&amp;usp=3Dsharing<br></blockquote><blockquo=
te type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">Future =
submissions for inclusion in to DOAJ must include the complete set =
of<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">information provided by the =
publisher. This information will be
publicly<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">available in the Directory. The journals currently
listed =
in the DOAJ will<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">have to go =
through a re-evaluation process based on the new criteria. =
will take place over =
the next 12 months or so.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">*DOAJ Seal of =
Approval* At the same time we are launching the DOAJ Seal =
of<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">Approval for Open Access =
Journals (in short: the DOAJ Seal) to encourage =
practice standard. =
These journals will be identified with the DOAJ =
Seal<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">logo.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">In addition to =
the more general criteria, above, required for inclusion =
DOAJ, the following =
criteria must be met for a journal to receive =
=
Seal:<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">*<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite"> Provides =
machine readable copyright information to help search =
engines<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">identify open =
works<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">*<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite"> Provides DOIs =
at the article level<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">*<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite"> Provides =
metadata to DOAJ at the article
level<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">*<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite"> Has a digital =
archiving/preservation arrangement in
place<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">*<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite"> Allows use =
and reuse at least at the following levels (as specified in =
Access Spectrum, =
http://www.plos.org/about/open-access/howopenisit/):<br></blockquote><bloc=
kquote type=3D"cite">+ Allows a community standard API or other
protocol =
to crawl or access full<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">text, =
metadata, citations, and data (including supplementary data) =
for<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">articles (Open Access =
Spectrum: Machine Readability Level
2)<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">+ Ensures generous reuse and remixing rights (Open
Access =
Spectrum: Reuse<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">Rights Level =
Allows authors to post =
any version of their article to any repository =
or<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">website (Open Access =
Spectrum: Author Posting Rights Level
1)<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">+++++++++++++++++++++<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">We are =
confident that the new criteria will positively contribute to =
the<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">transparency of open =
access. Since open access journals are a relatively =
new<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">phenomenon, and one that =
is continuously changing, we will probably have =
the criteria in a =
couple of years to keep them current and up =
to<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">date.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">To avoid any =
misunderstanding, we are restating DOAJ=E2=80=99s scope =
here:<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">The DOAJ has =
the ambition to continue to be the white list of open =
access<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">journals that are =
global in scope in terms of geography, =
scientific<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">discipline and =
language.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">In scope: =
Journals that provide immediate access to scholarly =
articles<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">without reader =
payment, including back-files from those journals made =
freely<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">available after =
transitioning to open access.<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">Not in scope: =
Single articles from subscription based journals made =
freely<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">available under an open =
access option (hybrid articles).<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">Articles from =
subscription based journals made freely available after =
an<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">embargo period (so-called =
delayed open access =E2=80=93 not a term in =
our<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">dictionary).<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">Your comments =
on the new criteria are much appreciated and will =
contribute<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">toward their =
implementation. Comments must be received before 6pm CEST =
15th July 2013 and =
should be sent to the DOAJ Community
Manager<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">Dominic Mitchell =
(dom AT doaj.org).<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">Kind =
regards<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">Lars =
Bj=C3=B8rnshauge<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">Managing =
Director, DOAJ<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">--<br></blockquote><blockquote
type=3D"cite">To =
unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this =
page:<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum<b=
Szczepa=C5=84ski<br>F.d F=C3=B6rste =
bibliotekare och chef f=C3=B6r f.d Avdelningen<br>f=C3=B6r humaniora vid
=
G=C3=B6teborgs universitetsbibliotek<br>E-post: =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>To unsubscribe from
the BOAI Forum, =
use the form on this =
page:<br>http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum</div><=

--Apple-Mail-2--163791604--

[BOAI] Re: Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria

From: "Beall, Jeffrey" <Jeffrey.Beall AT ucdenver.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 08:48:41 -0600

Threading: [BOAI] Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria from peter.suber AT gmail.com
      • This Message

Jan,

As David notes, there is some overlap between my list and DOAJ, and the overlap
is due to different criteria. I don't think the overlap is large.

Here are my reasons for adding World Scholars to my list:

1. The domain name data is blocked. Some of the journals show an Oklahoma City
P.O. Box as an address; others lack any physical location information.  This
shows a tendency towards non-transparency. Where is this journal really
headquartered? Who is operating it? These questions are not sufficiently
answered on the site.

2. Each of the publisher's journals has a broad scope, perhaps to attract more
papers, e.g., American Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. Also, the
journals contain articles that don't really match their scope. The lead article
in the current issue of the American Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences
is entitled, "Effects of Interest Rate and Debt on Equity
Investment."

3. Some of the editorial boards are small. For example, the one for the Journal
of Sustainable Society has only six members, with only one from the U.S.

4. The publisher does place the CC BY logo on its website, but the PDFs of the
individual articles do not bear any licensing information.

5. Each of the journals purports to be indexed by a long list of services, but
some on the list are not indexing services.

6. Contact information is always generic and avoids listing any names, for
instance:

Principal Contact

Editor,
Email: ajtr AT worldscholars.org
Support Contact
Support Email: support AT worldscholars.org

7. The International Journal of Community Development has no editorial board
listed, yet it has published an issue. Also, that journal title duplicates
another journal established earlier.

8. There's no indication that the publisher pays any attention to digital
preservation. The author guidelines are minimalist, and stated policies
regarding retraction and the like are non-existent.

9. Despite the publisher's purported U.S. location, a good portion of the
published papers originate in east and southern Africa.

Thank you,

Jeffrey Beall

ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Jan Szczepanski
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:50 AM
To: boai-forum AT ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [BOAI] Re: Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria

From: David Solomon <dsolomon AT msu.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 18:17:06 +0300

Threading: [BOAI] Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria from peter.suber AT gmail.com
      • This Message

--f46d04426ca690a4dd04df0a9f50

What we really need is a set of agreed standards that journals must meet
before funders will pay out APCs. Beall's list has helped highlight a
problem and at the same time unfairly maligned good OA publishers but does
nothing to address the abuse of the APC model.

Also,  Jean-Claude,  I completely agree with you that SciELO and similar
publicly funded platforms for technical support collaborating with
universities and societies to publish journals common in Latin America and
Eastern Europe are something we in west should consider adopting avoiding
the problem in the first place.

Dave

Sent from my tablet
On Jun 13, 2013 5:29 PM, "Jean-Claude Gu=E9don" <
jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca> wrote:

> [...]
ll take place over the next 12 months or so.>> *DOAJ Seal of Approval* At
t=
he same time we are launching the DOAJ Seal of> Approval for Open Access Jo=
urnals (in short: the DOAJ Seal) to encourage a> high practice standard. Th=
ese journals will be identified with the DOAJ Seal> logo.>> In
addition to =
the more general criteria, above, required for inclusion in> the DOAJ, the =
following criteria must be met for a journal to receive the> DOAJ
Seal:>> *=
>  Provides machine readable copyright information to help search
engines> =
identify open works>> *>  Provides DOIs at the article level>>
*>  Provides=
 metadata to DOAJ at the article level>> *>  Has a digital
vation arrangement in place>> *>  Allows use and reuse at least at the
foll=
owing levels (as specified in the> Open Access Spectrum, http://www.plos.or=
g/about/open-access/howopenisit/):> + Allows a community standard API or ot=
To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this page:> http://mail=
man.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum

>   --
>

> Jean-Claude Gu=E9don
> Professeur titulaire
> Litt=E9rature compar=E9e
> Universit=E9 de Montr=E9al

--f46d04426ca690a4dd04df0a9f50

that journa=
ls must meet before funders will pay out APCs. Beall&#39;s list has helped
=
highlight a problem and at the same time unfairly maligned good OA publishe=
rs but does nothing to address the abuse of the APC model. </p>

you that Sc=
iELO and similar publicly funded platforms for technical support collaborat=
ing with universities and societies to publish journals common in Latin Ame=
rica and Eastern Europe are something we in west should consider adopting a=
voiding the problem in the first place. </p>

&quot;Jean-Claude Gu=E9=
don&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jean.claude.guedon AT
umontreal.ca">jean.claud=
e.guedon AT umontreal.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br
type=3D"attribution"><blockquote cl=
ass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px
#ccc solid;p=
adding-left:1ex">
<u></u>

 =20
 =20

Beall&#39;s list is useful, but that is exactly where it stands. This is
no=
t logical truth.<br>
I saw Hindawi appear in that list a couple of years ago... then it disappea=
red<br>
This said, Beall&#39;s list is very important and useful, but, like DOAJ,
i=
t is not perfect.<br>
I do not know American Scholars. Whether it should be in DOAJ or not, I do =
not know. Perhaps, the DOAJ people should make it a habit to check their li=
st against Beall&#39;s, not as a way to exclude, but as a flag pointing to
=
the need for further investigation. <br>

Clearly, DOAJ is a (wonderful) work in progress, and I take it that Jan Szc=
zepanski&#39;s remark is positive and meant to help DOAJ (and
Beall&#39;s l=
ist) improve. <br>
One way for DOAJ to improve would be to place journals in various quality c=
ategories that would be built on reliable indicators (no impact factor, ple=
ase...). One of the main tasks of Open Access at this historical juncture i=
s to rebuild the ways in which value is created around the results of resea=
rch. The present system, based as it is on impact factors, is simply broken=
 and perverse.<br>

Jean-Claude Gu=E9don<br>
Le jeudi 13 juin 2013 =E0 14:50 +0200, Jan Szczepanski a =E9crit :
<pre>
Here is a new title in DOAJ. As you can see the Publisher is World
Scholar. This Publisher is noted on

Beall=92s List:Potential, possible, or probable predatory scholarly
open-access Publishers.

target=3D"_blank">http://sch=
olarlyoa.com/publishers/</a>

Any explanations?

Jan

American Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences

ISSN/EISSN: 23290781 2329079X
Publisher: World Scholars
Country: United States Language: English
Start year 2013
Publication fee: Yes --- Further Information
License:
Added to DOAJ: 2013-06-12 13:51:41

2013/6/12 Peter Suber &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:peter.suber AT
gmail.com" target=
=3D"_blank">peter.suber AT gmail.com</a>&gt;:
of Open Access =
Journals, via the GOAL list.</font>
Journals (<a href=
=3D"http://www.doaj.org"
target=3D"_blank">www.doaj.org</a>) is delighted t=
o</font>
criteria and *hereby an=
nounces that these new</font>
comment until Jul=
y 15th*.</font>
the criteria and o=
ur Advisory Board</font>
href=3D"http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=3Dlo=
adTemplate&amp;template=3Dabout&amp;uiLanguage=3Den#board"
target=3D"_blank=
">http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=3DloadTemplate&amp;template=3Dabout&amp;uiL=
anguage=3Den#board</a>)</font>
comments.</font>
of researc</font=

access policies an=
d mandates, all stakeholders</font>
authors and reade=
rs), research managers, staff</font>
librarians, univer=
sities and research funders -</font>
information resour=
ce that identifies good</font>
and filters out d=
isreputable publishers.</font>
vested interest in =
not being associated with the</font>
objective criteria =
that can facilitate compliance</font>
easily.</font>
DOAJ, a journal m=
ust meet the following</font>
provide basic informa=
tion (title, ISSN, etc.),</font>
information about jou=
rnal policies</font>
SHERPA/RoMEO</font>
with clearly id=
entifiable members (including</font>
information)</font>
of five articles =
per year (does not apply for</font>
leastat the following=
 levels (as specified in the</font>
href=3D"http://www.pl=
os.org/about/open-access/howopenisit/"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.plos.or=
g/about/open-access/howopenisit/</a>):</font>
citations of articl=
es can be crawled and accessed</font>
Readability Level 4)<=
/font>
rights to all artic=
les immediately upon</font>
Level 1)</font>
restrictions; no=
 remixing (Reuse Rights Level</font>
copyright in their a=
rticle with no restrictions</font>
1)</font>
peer-reviewed man=
uscript version (postprint) to</font>
(Author Posting Righ=
ts Level 2)</font>
list of criteria h=
ere:</font>
href=3D"https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet=
/ccc?key=3D0AlFw8p9XB3C6dHE3ZC1Hd2FMMjAweE96czRQb3NDbnc&amp;usp=3Dsharing" =
target=3D"_blank">https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=3D0AlFw8p9XB3=
C6dHE3ZC1Hd2FMMjAweE96czRQb3NDbnc&amp;usp=3Dsharing</a></font>
inclusion in to DOAJ mu=
st include the complete set of</font>
publisher. This in=
formation will be publicly</font>
The journals curre=
ntly listed in the DOAJ will</font>
re-evaluation process bas=
ed on the new criteria. This</font>
next 12 months o=
r so.</font>
same time we ar=
e launching the DOAJ Seal of</font>
Journals (in short: t=
he DOAJ Seal) to encourage a</font>
journals will be=
 identified with the DOAJ Seal</font>
general criteria, abov=
e, required for inclusion in</font>
criteria must be met f=
or a journal to receive the</font>
copyright informati=
on to help search engines</font>
works</font>
level</font>
the article leve=
l</font>
archiving/preservation arrangem=
ent in place</font>
at the followin=
g levels (as specified in the</font>
href=3D"http://www.pl=
os.org/about/open-access/howopenisit/"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.plos.or=
g/about/open-access/howopenisit/</a>):</font>
API or other pro=
tocol to crawl or access full</font>
data (including=
 supplementary data) for</font>
Spectrum: Machine Readab=
ility Level 2)</font>
remixing rights (=
Open Access Spectrum: Reuse</font>
version of their =
article to any repository or</font>
Author Posting =
Rights Level 1)</font>
+++++++++++++++++++++</font>
criteria will po=
sitively contribute to the</font>
Since open access=
 journals are a relatively new</font>
continuously chang=
ing, we will probably have to</font>
couple of years to ke=
ep them current and up to</font>
we are restatin=
g DOAJ=92s scope here:</font>
continue to be th=
e white list of open access</font>
scope in terms of =
geography, scientific</font>
language.</font>
provide immediate acce=
ss to scholarly articles</font>
including back-files f=
rom those journals made freely</font>
to open access.<=
/font>
from subscriptio=
n based journals made freely</font>
option (hybrid =
articles).</font>
based journals made=
 freely available after an</font>
delayed open access =
=96 not a term in our</font>
criteria are much app=
reciated and will contribute</font>
Comments must be =
received before 6pm CEST on</font>
should be sent to th=
e DOAJ Community Manager</font>
href=3D"mailto:dom AT doaj.o=
rg" target=3D"_blank">dom AT
doaj.org</a>).</font>
Bj=F8rnshauge</font>
DOAJ</font>
Forum, use the fo=
rm on this page:</font>
href=3D"http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mail=
man/listinfo/boai-forum"
target=3D"_blank">http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/m=
ailman/listinfo/boai-forum</a></font>

</pre>
width=3D"100%">
--=20
<pre>
Jean-Claude Gu=E9don
Professeur titulaire
Litt=E9rature compar=E9e
Universit=E9 de Montr=E9al
</pre>

--<br>
To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this page:<br>
<a