[BOAI] Open access /France : Scientific work and public debate in the Humanities and Social Sciences

From: Ghislaine Chartron <ghislaine.chartron AT cnam.fr>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 21:49:30 +0100

Threading:      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: Open access /France : Scientific work and public debate in the Humanities and Social Sciences from jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca

For information:

Open access: Scientific work and public debate in the Humanities and
Social  Sciences, threatened by measures recommended by the European
Commission

/Open letter from the editors of French language journals in the
humanities and social sciences to the Minister of Higher Education and
Research, the Minister of Culture and Communication, the presidents of
universities and grandes ťcoles, and heads of major research institutions/

Motion and List of the first 110 signatories (last updated on March 18,
2013) :

**http://www.openaccess-shs.info/motion-en/

[BOAI] Re: Open access /France : Scientific work and public debate in the Humanities and Social Sciences

From: Jean-Claude =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gu=E9don?= <jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 19:10:35 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] Open access /France : Scientific work and public debate in the Humanities and Social Sciences from ghislaine.chartron AT cnam.fr
      • This Message

The  BOAI-Form should also know that Professor Chartron works hand in
hand with French publishers. In a somewhat hilarious manner, she
mistakenly released a draft of the document proposed below to a French
OA list (accesouvert), allowing all readers to see that she consulted
these publishers to get their approval. She did this just after the
Couperin [French library consortium] meeting in Paris which was attended
by a number of OA advocates at the end of January, including Stevan
harnad and myself, but also Alma Swan and Bernard Rentier, etc.
(apologies to those not named here). She was present at that meeting,
and quite perturbed by the fact - so she claimed - that publisher shad
not been given their due place in the debates.

A little later, another day was organized, this time by publishers,
where she intervened in a prominent fashion. In her intervention, which
is available as a video (in French) on the Internet
(http://www.openaccess-shs.info/interventions-videos/), both Stevan
Harnad and myself had the honor of being called "extremists"... :-)
In
my case, I was characterized as an "influential extremist". If true,
am deeply flattered.

Essentially, she and her acolytes, the publishers, take the position
that publishers are at the center of the scientific communication
system, not researchers. In effect, research works for publishers, not
the reverse.

I am sure many readers of this list will appreciate...

Jean-Claude Guédon

Le lundi 18 mars 2013 à 21:49 +0100, Ghislaine Chartron a écrit :

> For information:
>
> Open access: Scientific work and public debate in the Humanities and
> Social  Sciences, threatened by measures recommended by the European
> Commission
>

>    Open letter from the editors of French language journals in the
> humanities and social sciences to the Minister of Higher Education and
> Research, the Minister of Culture and Communication, the presidents of
>      universities and grandes écoles, and heads of major research
>                              institutions
>
>  Motion and  List of the first 110 signatories (last updated on March
>                              18, 2013) :
>
> http://www.openaccess-shs.info/motion-en/
>
> --
>

>         --