[BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter

From: Peter Suber <peters AT earlham.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 13:55:57 -0400

Threading:      • This Message
             [BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter from peters AT earlham.edu

* Sorry for cross-posting  *

I just mailed the September 4 issue of the SPARC Open Access
Newsletter.  In addition to the usual round-up of news and bibliography
from the past month, it takes a close look at the taxpayer argument for
open access.

September issue
https://mx2.arl.org/Lists/SPARC-OANews/Message/97.html

Subscription info, forum, and archive
http://www.arl.org/sparc/soa/index.html

      Peter

----------
Peter Suber
Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College
Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge
Author, SPARC Open Access Newsletter
Editor, Open Access News blog
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/
peter.suber AT earlham.edu

[BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter

From: Peter Suber <peters AT earlham.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:24:51 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter from peters AT earlham.edu
      • This Message
             [BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter from peters AT earlham.edu

* Announcement [cross-posted] *

I just mailed the September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter.  In
addition to the usual round-up of news from the past month, it takes a
close look at a cluster of related problems:  stretching or diluting the
term "open access" to cover all flavors of widening access,
hesitating to
praise steps that widen access if they stop short of full OA, and letting a
fuzzy OA meme outpace the spread of the major public definitions from
Budapest, Bethesda, and Berlin.  The issue also includes a reflection on
September 11 three years later.

September issue
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/09-02-04.htm

How to subscribe and unsubscribe to the newsletter and discussion forum
http://www.arl.org/sparc/soa/index.html

The archive of back issues is open to non-subscribers
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/archive.htm

      Peter

----------
Peter Suber

From: Peter Suber <peters AT earlham.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 13:22:35 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter from peters AT earlham.edu
      • This Message
             [BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter from peters AT earlham.edu

* Announcement (cross-posted) *

I just mailed the September issue of the SPARC Open Access
Newsletter.  This issue takes a close look at Jan Velterop's move to
Springer and Elsevier's experiment with free online access at _Information
and Computation_.  It also includes some reflections on 9/11, four years
later.  The Top Stories section takes a brief look at the continuing debate
over the draft RCUK policy, some OA initiatives in India, Google's decision
to suspend the scanning of copyrighted books until November, and a new
JISC-SURF report on scholar attitudes toward copyright.

September issue
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/09-02-05.htm

From: Peter Suber <peters AT earlham.edu>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 14:59:41 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter from peters AT earlham.edu
      • This Message
             [BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter from peters AT earlham.edu

* Announcement (cross-posted) *

I just mailed the September issue of the SPARC Open Access
Newsletter.  This issue takes a close look at the four hybrid OA journal
programs launched in August (from BMJ, Wiley, Cambridge, and APS) and how
the mid-term elections in the US could affect federal OA policies.  The Top
Stories section takes a brief look at three institutions that have adopted
OA mandates, the growing provost support for FRPAA, the launch of Open
Access Central and Chemistry Central, the CERN plan to convert particle
physics journals to OA, progress in providing OA to avian flu data, and the
Google Library project's new partnership with the University of California
and new willingness to let users print and download public-domain books.

September issue
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/09-02-06.htm

How to subscribe and unsubscribe to the newsletter and discussion forum
http://www.arl.org/sparc/soa/index.html

The archive of back issues is open to non-subscribers
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/archive.htm

	Peter

----------
Peter Suber
Senior Researcher, SPARC
Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge
Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College
Author, SPARC Open Access Newsletter
Author, Open Access News blog
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/
peter.suber AT earlham.edu

[BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter

From: Peter Suber <peters AT earlham.edu>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 13:12:54 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter from peters AT earlham.edu
      • This Message
             [BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter from peters AT earlham.edu

* Announcement (cross-posted) *

I just mailed the September issue of the SPARC Open Access
Newsletter.  This issue takes a close look at the common objection from
publisher trade associations and lobbyists that OA mandates will undermine
peer review.  The round-up section briefly notes 66 OA developments from
August.

September issue
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/09-02-07.htm

How to subscribe and unsubscribe to the newsletter and discussion forum.
http://www.arl.org/sparc/publications/soan

The current and back issues are all open access, of course.

From: Peter Suber <peters AT earlham.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:31:40 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter from peters AT earlham.edu
      • This Message
             [BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter from peters AT earlham.edu

* Announcement (cross-posted) *

I just mailed the September issue of the SPARC Open Access
Newsletter.  This issue takes a close look at the ways in which journal
quality and journal prestige overlap, the ways in which they diverge, and
how their complex relationship affects the prospects for OA.

The round-up section briefly notes 96 OA developments from August.

September issue
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/09-02-08.htm

How to subscribe and unsubscribe to the newsletter and discussion forum.
http://www.arl.org/sparc/publications/soan

The current and back issues are all open access, of course.
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/archive.htm

	Peter

Peter Suber
Senior Researcher, SPARC
Visiting Fellow, Information Society Project, Yale Law School

From: Peter Suber <peters AT earlham.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 13:26:25 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter from peters AT earlham.edu
      • This Message

--0015174be99af04f21048f4a1eb2

* Announcement (cross-posted) *

I just mailed the September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter.  This
issue includes the concluding installment of the essay started in the August
issue on William Garvey's 1979 observation  that "in some disciplines, it
is
easier to repeat an experiment than it is to determine that the experiment
has already been done."  In Part 2, I connect OA with three variations on
Garvey's theme:  when we we want to redo past work, to test its results,
when we inadvertently redo past work, thinking it's new, and when we don't
want to redo past work, or look it up, because we've allowed knowledge to
become taboo and replaced curiosity with a defensive preference for what we
already believe.
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/09-02-10.htm

The roundup section briefly notes 137 OA developments from August.

September 2010 issue
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/01-02-10.htm

How to subscribe and unsubscribe to the newsletter and discussion forum.
http://www.arl.org/sparc/publications/soan

The current and back issues are all open access, of course.
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/archive.htm

Peter

Peter Suber
Senior Researcher, SPARC
Berkman Fellow, Harvard University
Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College
Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/

--0015174be99af04f21048f4a1eb2

>* Announcement (cross-posted)
 September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter. =A0This issue include=
s the concluding installment of the essay started in the August issue on Wi=
lliam Garvey&#39;s 1979 observation=A0=A0that &quot;in some
disciplines, it=
 is easier to repeat an experiment than it is to determine that the experim=
ent has already been done.&quot; =A0In Part 2, I=A0connect OA with three
va=
riations on Garvey&#39;s theme: =A0when we we want to redo past work, to
te=
st its results, when we inadvertently redo past work, thinking it&#39;s
new=
, and when we don&#39;t want to redo past work, or look it up,
because=A0we=
&#39;ve allowed knowledge to become taboo and replaced curiosity with a
def=
ensive preference for what we already believe.=A0</div>

href=3D"http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/09-02-10.htm"=
br></div><div>The roundup section briefly notes 137 OA
developments from Au=
gust.</div>

issue</div><div><a href=3D"http://www.ea=
rlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/01-02-10.htm">http://www.earlham.edu/~pete=
e and unsubscribe to the newsletter and discussion forum.</div>

href=3D"http://www.arl.org/sparc/publications/soan">http://www.arl.=
ck issues are all open access, of course.</div><div><a
href=3D"http://www.e=
arlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/archive.htm">http://www.earlham.edu/~pete=
rs/fos/newsletter/archive.htm</a></div>

class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"white-space:pre=
rcher, SPARC</div><div>Berkman Fellow, Harvard
University</div><div>Researc=
h Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College</div>

Knowledge</div><div><a href=3D"ht=
tp://www.earlham.edu/~peters/">http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/</a></div><di=

--0015174be99af04f21048f4a1eb2--