[BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving

From: "David Prosser" <david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:40:42 +0100

Threading:      • This Message
             Re: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from hbosc AT tours.inra.fr
             RE: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from dksahu AT vsnl.com
             RE: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from dksahu AT vsnl.com
             Re: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from lqthede AT apk.net
             Re: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from krichel AT openlib.org
             Re: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from Bernard.Lang AT inria.fr

As you know, Medline is by far and away the most important abstracting
and indexing service in the life sciences and most researchers access
Medline through PubMed.  If you find a paper through PubMed and that
paper is available electronically you get a link through to the
publisher's site with the full-text (that you can follow only if you
have access rights).  For example, see:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&li
st_uids=11857108&dopt=Abstract>
&db=PubMed&list_uids=11857108&dopt=Abstract

It struck me that it would encourage life sciences authors to
self-archive if there was also a link from the PubMed record to the
self-archived version of the paper.  It should be possible to use the
'link out' feature to add the authors' version to the record (see
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/linkout/).  It might even be possible
to provide an icon on the main record page next to the link to the
publisher's version.

I wondered if any repositories are already offering this service to
authors - i.e., if an author deposits their version in the local
repository the repository will make the PubMed link?  This could be a
powerful tool for encouraging the life scientist as they know that their
version will be accessed by anybody who does not have access to the
publisher's version.

(Apologies for cross-posting.)

David

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe

E-mail:  david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk
Tel:       +44 (0) 1865 284 451
Mobile:  +44 (0) 7974 673 888
http://www.sparceurope.org <http://www.sparceurope.org/>

Re: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving

From: "hbosc AT tours.inra.fr" <hbosc AT tours.inra.fr>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:20:51 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk
      • This Message
             RE: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from dksahu AT vsnl.com

David,

Your idea of linking repositories with PubMed is very interesting.
We have started an Open Archive in our lab. The name of our repository  is
"PhysiologieAnimale" and the few articles (10) that are deposited in
it,
could be retreived by Pubmed. So, I can try to see if it is easy to
activate the PubMed linkout.
I'll give you the result of the experience.

Helene

>It struck me that it would encourage life sciences authors to self-archive
>if there was also a link from the PubMed record to the self-archived
>version of the paper.  It should be possible to use the link out feature
>to add the authors version to the record (see
><http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/linkout/>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/en
>trez/linkout/).  It might even be possible to provide an icon on the main
>record page next to the link to the publisher s version.
>

>I wondered if any repositories are already offering this service to
>authors i.e., if an author deposits their version in the local repository
>the repository will make the PubMed link?  This could be a powerful tool
>for encouraging the life scientist as they know that their version will be
>accessed by anybody who does not have access to the publisher s version.
>

>(Apologies for cross-posting.)
>

>David
>

>David C Prosser PhD
>
>Director
>
>SPARC Europe
>

>E-mail:  <mailto:david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk>david.prosser AT
bodley.ox.ac.uk

>Tel:       +44 (0) 1865 284 451
>
>Mobile:  +44 (0) 7974 673 888
>
><http://www.sparceurope.org/>http://www.sparceurope.org

Helene Bosc
Bibliothecaire
Unite Physiologie de la Reproduction
et des Comportements
UMR 6073 INRA-CNRS-Universite de Tours
37380 Nouzilly
     France

http://www.tours.inra.fr/
TEL : 02 47 42 78 00
FAX : 02 47 42 77 43
e-mail: hbosc AT tours.inra.fr

RE: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving

From: "D. K. Sahu" <dksahu AT vsnl.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:22:36 +0530

Threading: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk
      • This Message

Recently I had suggested PubMed development team to include similar links
and the answer was encouraging.

"We also plan to attract more links to those authors' websites with
supplementary data for their articles.  If you know of any authors who may
be interested, please let us know." Kathy Kwan, LinkOut team, NCBI/NLM

One can contact LinkOut team at  <mailto:linkout AT
mailgw.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov>
linkout AT mailgw.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

 DK Sahu, MD
Executive Editor, Indian Journal of Medical Sciences

Managing Editor, Journal of Postgraduate Medicine

From: "D. K. Sahu" <dksahu AT vsnl.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:24:05 +0530

Threading: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk
      • This Message

To add to my previous mail I would also like to inform the forum readers
about utilising the LinkOut for linking to more than one resource.

Journal of Postgraduate Medicine is available from its website
www.jpgmonline.com <http://www.jpgmonline.com/>  as well as from Bioline
International (www.bioline.org.br/jp). We have provided the links from
PubMed to both these resources. For articles which are available on both
these sites, the link to JPGM's site appears in the abstract page (e.g.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u
ids=11298473&dopt=Abstract>
&db=PubMed&list_uids=11298473&dopt=Abstract) and
to Bioline's site in LinkOut page
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=Display
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=Display&DB=PubMed>
&DB=PubMed).

Similar links can be provided to other self-archiving resources.

It may be appropriate here to note that libraries and institutions (which
can apply to self-archiving sites) can also participate in LinkOut (e.g.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u
ids=11832636&dopt=ExternalLink&ExternalLink=libs>
&db=PubMed&list_uids=11832636&dopt=ExternalLink&ExternalLink=libs)

From: "Linda Q. Thede" <lqthede AT apk.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:39:00 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk
      • This Message

Pubmed Central has a search tool that searches ONLY those articles which
are open access.  See

 http://www3.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pmc

--
Linda Q. Thede
435-4 Chandler Drive

RE: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving

From: dksahu AT vsnl.com
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:39:42 +0530 (IST)

Threading: Re: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from hbosc AT tours.inra.fr
      • This Message
             RE: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from arun AT mssrf.res.in

Even in PubMed articles with free full text can be searched separately. This is
a new feature introduced very recently.

Add "Free Full Text [filter]" to your search key word to retrieve
articles which are providing link to full text through LinkOut.

e.g. Open Access AND Free Full Text [filter] will give about 100 articles on
the topic with free full text of the articles linked from the PubMed.

From: Thomas Krichel <krichel AT openlib.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:25:25 -0500

Threading: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk
      • This Message

  David Prosser writes

> It struck me that it would encourage life sciences authors to
> self-archive if there was also a link from the PubMed record to the
> self-archived version of the paper.

  I am working on a related project that tries to find the full
  text of papers of papers that are anywhere on the web from the
  title data only. I have a running implementation for computer
  science papers. If this method is succesful (I am at an early
  stage of this work), it could certainly be applied to PubMed
  title data. It would be a cost effective, though not 100%
  guaranteed way to link to the full text.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                      mailto:krichel AT openlib.org
  visiting CO PAH, Novosibirsk   http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                             RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel

Re: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving

From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang AT inria.fr>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:57:00 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk
      • This Message

A friend of mine wrote a search engine specialized in mathematical
papers.

I  do not have more information, but you can try to reach him at
Stefane Fermigier <sf AT fermigier.com>

Cordialement

Bernard Lang

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:25:25PM -0500, Thomas Krichel wrote:
>   David Prosser writes
>
> > It struck me that it would encourage life sciences authors to
> > self-archive if there was also a link from the PubMed record to the
> > self-archived version of the paper.
>
>   I am working on a related project that tries to find the full
>   text of papers of papers that are anywhere on the web from the
>   title data only. I have a running implementation for computer
>   science papers. If this method is succesful (I am at an early
>   stage of this work), it could certainly be applied to PubMed
>   title data. It would be a cost effective, though not 100%
>   guaranteed way to link to the full text.
>
>   Cheers,
>
>   Thomas Krichel                      mailto:krichel AT openlib.org
>   visiting CO PAH, Novosibirsk   http://openlib.org/home/krichel
>                              RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel

Bernard.Lang AT inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 1 3963 5644
                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX

RE: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving

From: Subbiah Arunachalam <arun AT mssrf.res.in>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:20:27 +0530

Threading: RE: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from dksahu AT vsnl.com
      • This Message

Dear Dr Sahu:

You should talk to editors of Indian STM journals and offer them your help
in the transition to electronic/ open access journals. You may also promote
the idea of self archiving.

Best wishes.

Arun

International ( www.bioline.org.br/jp <http://www.bioline.org.br/jp> ).