[BOAI] Copyright (or left) issues, a question

From: Peter Murray <peter.j.murray AT>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:00:15 +0100

Threading: [BOAI] FOS Newsletter resumes publication from peters AT
      • This Message
             Re: [BOAI] Copyright (or left) issues, a question from harnad AT
             Re: [BOAI] Copyright (or left) issues, a question from sseaprod AT

A question/issue that I think is relevant to discussions on this list, and
that I would like to try and get some opinions, or guidance, on.

If we are talking about, and promoting, ideas of open access etc., where do
we as a group, or individuals stand, on the issue of signing over copyright
of their work to other organisations, eg publishers, conference organisers,
etc? I ask as it is an issue I have faced recently, and which I feel will
increasingly cause problems.

While we want to get discussion of open access etc into a wider forum, can
we, morally, then say in articles where we are promoting open access that
we will give up our copyright to the publishers etc? - or do we just
swallow our principles?

Has anyone else faced similar situations, and how have they tackled it? -
on the occasion in question, the conference organisers were happy for me to
give them permission to use the materials under GNU GPL.

Cheers, Peter Murray