[BOAI] Facilitating free/ low-cost access to STM information

From: Subbiah Arunachalam <arun AT mssrf.res.in>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:17:52 +0530

Friends:

Prof. Bruce Alberts, President of the US National Academy of Sciences, is a
champion of science in the developing world. About a year or two ago, he
spoke about the need for making scientific and scholarly literature widely
available, especially to scientists in the developing countries, even if it
means substantial subsidies. In about a week from now he will be addressing
presidents (and other representatives) of many national science academies of
the world at the meeting of the Inter Academy Council. People like us should
write to him and support him in this initiative. And persuade him and other
Academy presidents to work out a time-bound programme to make most of the
STM literature widely available on the Internet and also a programme that
would ensure access to computers and high bandwidth Internet connections for
developing country researchers. What use is it if the information is
available, but not the tools necessary to access it!

I am marking copies of this mail to several like-minded people.

Howsoever committed we are, I am afraid, unless we enlist the support of
eminent scientists who can bring in the huge funds needed, we cannot succeed
in achieving our goal - of making STM information easily accessible to
developing country scientists.

Regards.

Arun
[Subbiah Arunachalam]