Re: [BOAI] Re: THES article on research access Friday June 6 2003

From: "Margaret H. Freeman" <freemamh AT>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:54:31 -0400

Threading: Re: [BOAI] Re: THES article on research access Friday June 6 2003 from juliana AT
      • This Message

On 6/11/03 11:11 AM, "Julia Bolton Holloway" <juliana AT> wrote:

> This means not nearly as many people know the poem as should.

Julia makes a good point. (And how ironic that poets like Wilbur don't have
financial control over how their own work gets disseminated.) I work mostly
with the poetry of Emily Dickinson which, although written in the nineteenth
century, is _still_ under copyright and likely to remain so for the
indefinite future. The irony here is that the current popularity and
therefore reproductions (a sizeable income for publishers) of Dickinson's
poetry have come in no small measure from the scholars and teachers who have
disseminated and promoted knowledge of her work.

I know this is complicating Steve's attempts to institutionalize scholarly
archiving, but isn't there some way those of us affected by such copyright
restrictions can mount a collective argument as to why publishers would
benefit and not lose from such archiving?