Re: [BOAI] Re: THES article on research access Friday June 6 2003

From: Julia Bolton Holloway <juliana AT tin.it>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:11:56 +0200

Threading: Re: [BOAI] Re: THES article on research access Friday June 6 2003 from peters AT earlham.edu
      • This Message
             Re: [BOAI] Re: THES article on research access Friday June 6 2003 from freemamh AT lavc.edu

Yes, Margaret does have a point here. I had wanted to publish Richard
Wilbur's poem, 'Love Calls us to Things of the World', on the web. He gave
his permission. But his publisher required a huge fee. Ironically the poem
is about clothing beggars in the clean white shirts on washing lines, etc!
This means not nearly as many people know the poem as should. In Art
History this extends back further than modern poetry. The Italian
government requires huge fees for the publication of Italian medieval,
Renaissance art on the web. Again limiting these works to an elite few,
when certainly the medieval ones were intended for all.