Re: [BOAI] Re: THES article on research access Friday June 6 2003

From: Julia Bolton Holloway <juliana AT tin.it>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 05:06:53 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] Re: THES article on research access Friday June 6 2003 from harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk
      • This Message

Why? Long ago, I became an independent scholar with my own websites,
http://www.umilta.net and http://www.florin.ms, the second for the
Proceedings our our international congresses, The City and the Book, on
Florence and its library holdings. It costs almost nothing to have these
websites, without commercial pop-ups even, for which service I pay the
largest amount. I can put up the entire Latin text of St Birgitta's
Revelationes, materials on Julian of Norwich, Terence's Comedies, just this
past week, a whole book of essays, 'Sweet New Style: Brunetto Latino, Dante
Alighieri and Geoffrey Chaucer', that I wrote ten years ago and had not got
around to getting published when in the convent, so much else. I have
created a house style that is readable, using point 14 and the layout of
medieval manuscripts which were a memory system, alternating reds and blues
for capitals, the ordinary type being in grey against a white background. I
use no java or frames, wanting fellow monastics on low budgets with old
programmes to have equal access. I also give such monastics CDs of the
websites (a CD costs only .50 cents). Cost is not a problem with electronic
publishing. What I suspect in the academic world is that middlemen in the
university structures are getting their take for the budgetting, etc.

ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> > So copyright is certainly not the problem.
>
>That may be true for certain disciplines, but I can attest that in the
>humanities, where we cite original literature, we find it expensive and
>sometimes impossible to make our research internet accessible.
>
>Margaret

'But love was without beginning and is and ever shall be without any end.'
Julian of Norwich, Showing of Love 20.

'Do not cause terror, for God condemns this. Someone says " I live",
and
the bread is taken from his mouth. Another says, "This is power", and

again, "I will snatch for myself what I see". But he who says this is

condemned. The one who wins is, instead, he who gives to the other what he
needs. Nothing of all that we plan succeeds, because it is God who reigns.
Live therefore in the house of kindness and people will come freely to you
with gifts. Written by Ptah-Hotep in Egypt, 3550 B.C.

Julia Bolton Holloway, Hermit of the Holy Family
Biblioteca e Bottega Fioretta Mazzei, 'English Cemetery'
Piazzale Donatello, 38, 50132 FIRENZE, ITALY
juliana AT tin.it http://www.umilta.net http://www.florin.ms/aleph.html