Re: [BOAI] Re: THES article on research access Friday June 6 2003

From: Peter Suber <peters AT earlham.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:44:28 -0500

Threading: [BOAI] Re: THES article on research access Friday June 6 2003 from harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk
      • This Message
             Re: [BOAI] Re: THES article on research access Friday June 6 2003 from freemamh AT lavc.edu
             Re: [BOAI] Re: THES article on research access Friday June 6 2003 from juliana AT tin.it

ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> > So copyright is certainly not the problem.
>
>That may be true for certain disciplines, but I can attest that in the
>humanities, where we cite original literature, we find it expensive and
>sometimes impossible to make our research internet accessible.
>
>Margaret

Margaret,
      Could you elaborate on this a bit further?  I can understand why art
historians and art critics have problems.  They want to reproduce entire
works to illustrate their points.  But I don't see any comparable problem
for scholarship in literature, history, philosophy, or religion.  Citing
original literature, and quoting passages in fair use, do not violate
copyright.
      I can also see why copyright would thwart those who want to make
anthologies or reprint whole works; but these problems affect all
disciplines equally.

      Best,
      Peter

Peter Suber, Professor of Philosophy
Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana, 47374
Email peter.suber AT earlham.edu
Web http://www.earlham.edu/~peters

Editor, Free Online Scholarship Newsletter
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/
Editor, FOS News blog
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/fosblog.html