[BOAI] filariasis.net - open access to the lymphatic filariasis knowledge base

From: Michael Brown <m.brown AT liverpool.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 17:08:46 +0100

Dear All,

filariasis.net - Open access to the lymphatic filariasis knowledge
base...

Commonly known as elephantiasis, Lymphatic Filariasis (LF) is caused by
thread-like parasitic worms that live in the human lymphatic system. It
is one of the world's most disfiguring and debilitating parasitic
diseases. Over 120 million people are afflicted in 83 countries, with
20% of the world's population (1.2 billion people) living at risk of
the disease. It is a major cause and consequence of poverty, preventing
those afflicted from living a normal working & social life. Recently,
advances in our understanding of the disease and the availability of
safe preventative drug treatments, and new approaches to alleviation of
existing symptoms has created an optimism in the scientific and public
health community that at last the disease can be eliminated as a public
health problem. This task will be accomplished by a global partnership,
the Global Alliance for the Elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis
(http://www.filariasis.org/), who's formation was catalysed by "the
biggest single act of corporate philanthropy in any industry" - the
donation by GlaxoSmithKline of Albendazole, (one of the core drugs
needed to eliminate this disease), to the programme for as long as it
is needed. The Alliance is composed of the ministries of health of the
endemic countries, the World Health Organization, GlaxoSmithKline,
Merck & Co. Inc., the Lymphatic Filariasis Support Centre at the
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine and tens of other academic and
research institutes and Non-Governmental Development Organizations.

By eliminating this disease we will prevent the next generation of
children being infected & subsequently afflicted.

Education and training will play a key role in the success of such an
elimination programme, and therefore, the Liverpool Lymphatic
Filariasis Support Centre has developed an online knowledge base on
lymphatic filariasis, (http://www.filariasis.net), which provides
global, free and open access to the most up-to-date teaching and
learning resources on this disease, and the programme to eliminate it.

For more information on filariasis.net please see Issue 1 of our
newsletter below.

Best wishes,

Mike

> Dear Colleague,
>
> Welcome to issue 1 (May 2003) of filariasis.net Newsletter.
>
> Before we begin, just a quick note to say if you would like to keep
> receiving the monthly filariasis.net Newsletter please reply to
> m.brown AT liv.ac.uk with the subject "Subscribe filariasis.net
> Newsletter".
> If you don't want to receive any further issues you don't need to do
> anything - you will be removed from this list automatically.
>
> So what is filariasis.net?
>
> filariasis.net - http://www.filariasis.net/ - is a web site dedicated
> providing free and open access to the lymphatic filariasis knowledge
> base
> (developed by Mike Brown - m.brown AT liv.ac.uk - at the Liverpool
> Lymphatic
> Filariasis Support Centre).
>
> What is available on filariasis.net?
>
> The article library is now available which includes original
> peer-reviewed
> research articles and reviews (available as PDFs) from journals such as
> the American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene, Annals of
Tropical
> Medicine & Parasitology, Parasitology, Science and Filaria Journal
(see
> below for information on the newest content). Over the next few weeks
> and
> months the site will be expanded extensively with more articles, and
> the
> Learning Centre will open it's doors with teaching and learning
> resources
> on all aspects of lymphatic filariasis (- I'll have more news to share
> with you on these developments in issue 2 - so subscribe!).
>
> And finally...
>
> I would just like to say thanks to all my colleagues, journals,
> publishers
> and organizations that have helped made filariasis.net a reality,
> especially...
>
> The American Journal of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, Annals of
Tropical
> Medicine & Parasitology & Maney Publishing, Bill & Melinda
Gates