Re: [BOAI] Alternative Peer Review Models for Scholarship

From: "Gerry Mckiernan" <gerrymck AT iastate.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 09:24:19 -0500

Threading: Re: [BOAI] Alternative Peer Review Models for Scholarship from Bernard.Lang AT inria.fr
      • This Message

Bernard/

    Thanks for your interest in my posting, your recommendations, and
citations!

/Gerry

>>> Bernard.Lang AT inria.fr 05/05/03 08:02AM >>>
On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 03:24:52PM -0500, Gerry Mckiernan wrote:
>                   Alternative Peer Review Models for Scholarship
>
> For a forthcoming presentation [and, of course, the  obligatory
associated Web registry and article {:-)],  I am greatly interested in
the key articles/report/documents about  Alternative Peer Review for
Scholarship, as well as examples of exemplar (Web-based) publishing
initiatives  that have implemented one or more of these alternatives.

>  The Alternative Models that come to mind are:
>
> Open Peer Review
> Formal Peer Review with Subsequent Commentary
> Commentary Only (No Prior Formal  Peer Review)
> Pre and/or Post Commentary
> Citation-based Peer Review
> Reader-based Peer Review
> Computer-Assisted Peer Review
> Collaborative Filtering
> Others?

and another one :

   any combination of the above,  or all combinations of the above.

   A proper architecture (and standards) could allow users to combine
as they see fit all kinds of reviews.
   briefly summarized (in french)

http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/ecrits/Exposes/Bruxelles-Egov/papierg.htm

http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/ecrits/Exposes/Bruxelles-Egov/papieri.htm

  (note: these slides were developped to show that a change in cost
structures necessarily change production structures in the long run.)

   Reviews are just data, produced by any mean, and made available on
the net (free or at cost).  You take it if you want it, and do
whatever you see fit.

Bernard

Bernard.Lang AT inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 1 3963
5644
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 1 3963
5469
                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX