[BOAI] Re: Bethesda statement on open access publishing

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad AT>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:12:33 +0000 (GMT)

Threading: [BOAI] Bethesda statement on open access publishing from peters AT
      • This Message

    (1) For OA purposes, a *publication* is a peer-reviewed journal
    article that one has published (we ignore here other publications such
    as books, textbooks, magazine/newspaper articles, poems, plays, etc.)

    (2) For academic CV purposes, I list my published journal articles
    under "Publications."

    (3) I list my unpublished papers as "Unpublished." (Those that
    are planned for submission or submitted, I may list as "Submitted
    for Publication".)

    (4) Those that are accepted for publication are listed as "Accepted
    for Publication."

    (5) Any of the above might be self-archived: That does not
    make them "Published" or "Publications." (Nor does it
make them
    "Re-Published.) It just makes them OA.

It therefore follows that there is a *major* piece of equivocation in
calling the Bethesda definition of an OA Publication a definition of

An article that is published in an OA journal is most certainly an
OA publication. But what is an article that is published in a non-OA
journal, to which Open Access has been *provided* by the author, by
self-archiving it in his institutional archive? It is certainly a
*publication*, and it is certainly *OA*, but it does not meet the Bethesda
definition of an "OA publication"! -- And that's the point.

    Garfield: "Acknowledged Self-Archiving is Not Prior Publication"

I have already answered all of J-C Guedon's points below, and many more,
in great and painstaking detail, in a line-by-line critique in Ariadne
of his own recent Serials Review article "Mixing and Matching Green and

    Harnad, S. (2005) Fast-Forward on the Green Road to Open
    Access: The Case Against Mixing Up Green and Gold. Ariadne 43

I regret I haven't the time to repeat the exercise here. Perhaps
Jean-Claude will find the time to give equally painstaking attention to
my published critique; then we will see whether there is anything more to
be said. Failing that, I shall have to leave it to other members of the Forum
to take up Jean-Claude's challenge about publications, publishing, OA
publications, OA publishing, access-provision, "branding," and OA

I do remind AmSci Forum members, however, that there are now at least
three Open Access Forums. This one is the oldest and has since 1998
been treating all aspects of what has since come to be called "OA,"
now it has been re-dedicated specifically to institutional OA Policy
discussion. The AmSci Forum now includes the provosts of the major US
universities; US, Canadian and British funding agency officers; and
representatives of many European and Asian universities and research
institutions. The explicit focus of the Forum is matters pertaining to
designing and implementing concrete, practical institutional Open Access
Provision Policy. Matters without concrete, practical institutional OA
Policy implications should preferably be redirected to either the BOAI
OA Forum or the Sparc OA Forum (so as not to drive the policy-makers
out of this Forum!):

    boai-forum AT
    SPARC-OAForum AT

I have branched this message, containing Jean-Claude's full posting,
unanswered, to those two other Fora, in case anyone there wishes to
take up the discussion.

Stevan Harnad

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, guedon wrote:

> [...]
> > Statement on Open Access *Publishing* [sic]".
> >

> > That meeting -- note that it both called itself and was a meeting on
> > "Open Access Publishing", not on Open Access -- generated a
> > of "An Open Access Publication". This inadequate definition
began (or was
> > a prominent milestone) in a systematic equivocation that has
> > ever since.
> >
> > What was defined there was not "Open Access Publishing,"
but "An Open
> > Access Publication" -- and it was explicitly stated of the
> > property that was there being defined that "Open access is a
property of
> > individual *works*, not necessarily journals or publishers".
> >
> > The Bethesda definition went as follows:
> >
> >    "An Open Access Publication [N1] is one that meets the
following two
> >    conditions:
> >
> >    1. The author(s) and copyright holder(s) grant(s) to all users a
> >    irrevocable, worldwide, perpetual right of access to, and a
license to
> >    copy, use, distribute, transmit and display the work publicly and
> >    make and distribute derivative works, in any digital medium for
> >    responsible purpose, subject to proper attribution of authorship,
> >    as well as the right to make small numbers of printed copies for
> >    their personal use.
> >
> >     [N1. Open access is a property of individual works, not
> >     journals or publishers.]"
> >
> > Not that this sounds very much like a specific Creative Commons
> > by way of *defining* an OA work. (CC Licenses are extremely
> > useful, and desirable, but they neither define nor are they necessary
> > for OA!)
> >
> > Archiving, in this exceedingly Gold-biassed Bethesda definition of
> > is relegated to providing access to and preserving the works that
meet the
> > Bethesda definition, which means either articles published in OA
> > or articles for which the author has adopted something equivalent to
> > CC license as stipulated in 1, above. It certainly does *not* pertain
> > articles published in non-OA journals, with whatever copyright
> > they may already have, which are simply self-archived by their
> > in their institutional OA repositories (and which are hence not OA
> > the Bethesda definition):
> >
> >    "2. A complete version of the work and all supplemental
> >    including a copy of the permission as stated above, in a suitable
> >    standard electronic format is deposited immediately upon initial
> >    publication in at least one online repository that is supported by
> >    an academic institution, scholarly society, government agency, or
> >    other well-established organization that seeks to enable open
> >    unrestricted distribution, interoperability, and long-term
> >    (for the biomedical sciences, PubMed Central is such a
> >
> > Contrast this with the BOAI definition of OA (2001)
> >

> > This definition first specifies the target "literature" in
> > as "[p]rimarily... peer-reviewed journal articles, but...
also... any
> > unreviewed preprints that [authors] might wish to put online":
> >
> >     "By "open access" to this literature, we mean its
free availability
> [...]
> >     should be to give authors control over the integrity of their
> >     and the right to be properly acknowledged and cited."
> >

> > This awkward but adequate BOAI definition is not ideal either, being
> > far too wordy and formalistic, but essentially it says, correctly,
> > that an article is OA if it is
> >
> >     *freely accessible on the web to any user, anywhere, who has
> >     to the web*
> >
> > (It is also implicit, though unstated, that an article is *not* OA
> > the free online full-text access to it is *not* immediate or
> >
> > Anyone-and-everyone's being able to read, download, print, search,
> > and pass the full-text to software analyses comes with the territory
> > if an article is made freely accessible on the Web. So does crawling
> > and indexing by google and others.
> >
> > "Copy and distribute" is equivocal, but irrelevant, as one
can distribute
> > the URL to anyone one might have wanted to copy and distribute the
> > to -- to download and print it for themselves. (And OA, let us remind
> > ourselves, is about providing free access to the *online* text, not
> > the *on-paper* text: The rest just comes naturally with the
territory!) It
> > could still be "unlawful" to distribute paper copies, or to
republish or
> > re-sell the article, but that is not what OA is about either
> > it might be part of what OA *publishing* [Gold] is concerned about).
> >
> > Among the many untoward effects of the Gold-biassed Bethesda
> > was to have it re-enshrined *verbatim* in October 2003 in the Berlin
> > Declaration as the "Definition of an Open Access Contribution
> >

> > This has effectively delayed translating the Berlin Declaration into
> > concrete, implementable institutional OA policy (since institutions
> > create or convert Gold journals, nor can they require their
> > to publish in them: at most they can encourage and help fund them)
> > the recent Berlin 3 meeting in Southampton where the delegates at
> > agreed -- on the basis of the pattern, reported repeatedly at the
> > of what has proved successful in practise at many institutions
> > -- to recommend that the implementation of the Berlin Declaration
> > the following form:
> >
> >      "In order to implement the Berlin Declaration institutions
> >
> >           1. Implement a policy to require their researchers to
> >           a copy of all their published articles in an open access
> >           repository.
> >
> >       and
> >
> >           2. Encourage their researchers to publish their research
> >           articles in open access journals where a suitable journal
> >           exists and provide the support to enable that to
> >
> > This effectively corrects the Bethesda Bias toward Gold and at last
> > the two roads to OA -- Green and Gold -- the weight and priority that
> > proportional to their immediate capacity and probability of providing
> > OA. it is also based on a realistic conception of what it is that
> > an institution can and cannot adopt by way of an institutional OA

in a few days]