[GOAL] Re: [BOAI] Re: Re: Re: a chronology about open access

From: "Stephen Downes" <stephen AT downes.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:06:43 -0300

Threading: [GOAL] Re: [BOAI] Re: a chronology about open access from stephen AT downes.ca
      • This Message

Hiya,

Please note that I am not proposing that one specific license be adopted.
Different open access initiatives have different needs; the evidence for this
is that Creative Commons developed a suite of licenses, and that a significant
number of them (arguably a majority) have opted for a NC license. See
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/explore/open-access-survey-june2014.pdf

It is the original proposition that needs evidence to support it. The assertion
that CC-BY-NC-SA does not count as full open access is contentious. The
assertion does not represent existing practice nor a majority view. The
assertion is a proposal for narrowing the scope of what counts as open access.
There is, in my view, no good reason to support this assertion. It should be
rejected.

-- Stephen