[BOAI] Re: COAR-recting the record

From: Iryna Kuchma <iryna.kuchma AT eifl.net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 11:03:19 +0300

--047d7b2e3e58e9b0ab05171fcab3

[Forwarded message from Kathleen Shearer]

(sorry for any cross-posting)

In its recently released =E2=80=9CSharing and Hosting Policy FAQ=E2=80=9D, =
Elsevier
=E2=80=9Crecognize(s) that authors want to share and promote their work and
increasingly need to comply with their funding body and institution's open
access policies.=E2=80=9D However there are several aspects of their new po=
licy
that severely limit sharing and open access, in particular the lengthy
embargo periods imposed in most journals- with about 90% of Elsevier
journals
<http://www.elsevier.com/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/121293/external-embarg=
o-list.pdf>
having
embargo periods of 12 months or greater. This is a significant rollback
from the original 2004 Elsevier policy which required no embargos for
making author=E2=80=99s accepted manuscripts available; and even with the 2=
012
policy change requiring embargoes only when authors were subject to an OA
mandate.

With article processing charges (APCs) that can cost as much as $5000 US
dollars
<https://www.elsevier.com/journal-authors/open-access/sponsored-articles>
f=
or
publishing in one of Elsevier=E2=80=99s gold open access titles or hybrid j=
ournals,
this is not a viable option for many researchers around the world.
Furthermore, the rationale for lengthy embargo periods is to protect
Elsevier=E2=80=99s subscription revenue. We do not believe that scientific,
economic and social progress should be hindered in order to protect
commercial interests. In addition, there is currently no evidence that
articles made available through OA repositories will lead to cancellations.

Elsevier=E2=80=99s new policy also requires that accepted manuscripts poste=
d in
open access repositories bear a CC-BY-NC-ND license. This type of license
severely limits the re-use potential of publicly funded research. ND
restricts the use of derivatives, yet derivative use is fundamental
<http://oaspa.org/why-cc-by/> to the way in which scholarly research
builds
on previous findings, for example by re-using a part of an article (with
attribution) in educational material. Similarly, this license restricts
commercial re-use greatly inhibiting
<http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/9/11/16331/0655> the potential impact
of the results of research.

Elsevier=E2=80=99s Director of Access & Policy, Alicia Wise states that
the=
y =E2=80=9Chave
received neutral-to-positive responses from research institutions and the
wider research community.=E2=80=9D Yet, since the =E2=80=9CStatement agains=
t Elsevier=E2=80=99s
sharing policy
<https://www.coar-repositories.org/activities/advocacy-leadership/petition-=
against-elseviers-sharing-policy/>=E2=80=9D
was published just one week ago (on Wednesday May 20, 2015), it has been
signed by close to 700 organizations and individuals, demonstrating that
there is significant opposition to the policy.

Elsevier has indicated that they =E2=80=9Care always happy to have a dialog=
ue to
discuss these, or any other, issues further.=E2=80=9D  We would like to off=
er the
following concrete recommendations to Elsevier to improve their policy:

   1.

   Elsevier should allow all authors to make their =E2=80=9Cauthor=E2=80=99=
s accepted
   manuscript=E2=80=9D openly available immediately upon acceptance through=
 an OA
   repository or other open access platform.
   2.

   Elsevier should allow authors to choose the type of open license (from
   CC-BY to other more restrictive licenses like the CC-BY-NC-ND) they want=
   attach to the content that they are depositing into an open access platf=
orm.
   3.

   Elsevier should not attempt to dictate author=E2=80=99s practices around
   individual sharing of articles. Individual sharing of journal articles i=
   already a scholarly norm and is protected by fair use and other copyrigh=
   exceptions. Elsevier cannot, and should not, dictate practices around
   individual sharing of articles.

We strongly encourage Elsevier to revise their policy in order to better
align with the interests of the research community. We would also be
pleased to meet to discuss these recommendations with Elsevier at any time.

Kathleen Shearer, Executive Director, COAR

Heather Joseph, Executive Director, SPARC

On May 21, 2015, at 12:05 PM, Wise, Alicia (ELS-OXF) <A.Wise AT
ELSEVIER.COM>
wrote:

Hello everyone =E2=80=93

Just a quick note to draw your attention to our article, posted today in
Elsevier Connect and in response to yesterday=E2=80=99s statement by COAR:
http://www.elsevier.com/connect/coar-recting-the-record.  I=E2=80=99ll also=
 append
the full text of this response below.

You might also be interested in this Library Connect webinar on some of the
new institutional repository services we are piloting (
http://libraryconnect.elsevier.com/articles/2015-01/webinar-institutional-r=
esearch-repositories-characteristics-relationships-and-roles)
and reading our policies for yourselves:

   - Sharing =E2=80=93 http://www.elsevier.com/about/policies/article-posti=
ng-policy
   - Hosting - http://www.elsevier.com/about/policies/hosting

With best wishes,
Alicia

*COAR-recting the record*
We have received neutral-to-positive responses from research institutions
and the wider research community. We are therefore a little surprised that
COAR has formed such a negative view, and chosen not to feedback their
concerns directly to us.  We would like to correct the misperceptions.
Our sharing policy is more liberal in supporting the dissemination and use
of research:

   - At each stage of the publication process authors can share their
   research: before submission, from acceptance, upon publication, and post
   publication.
   - In institutional repositories, which no longer require a formal
   agreement to host full text content
   - Authors can also share on commercial platforms such as social
   collaboration networks
   - We provide new services to authors such as the share link which
   enables authors to post and share a customized link for 50 days free acc=
ess
   to the final published article
   - For authors who want free immediate access to their articles, we
   continue to give all authors a choice to publish gold open access with a
   wide number of open access journals and over 1600 hybrid titles

Unlike the claims in this COAR document, the policy changes are based on
feedback from our authors and institutional partners, they are
evidence-based, and they are in alignment with the STM article sharing
principles.  They introduce absolutely no changes in our embargo periods.
And they are not intended to suddenly embargo and make inaccessible content
currently available to readers =E2=80=93 as we have already communicated in=
 Elsevier
Connect
<http://www.elsevier.com/connect/elsevier-updates-its-policies-perspectives=
-and-services-on-article-sharing>
.
In fact, we have been developing services, in partnership with libraries,
to help institutional repositories track research output and display
content to their users. This includes:

=E2=80=A2      Sharing metadata: In order to showcase an institutions=E2=80=
=99 work, an
institutional repository must identify their institution=E2=80=99s research=
 output.
By integrating the ScienceDirect metadata API into the repository, this
task becomes simple. Even in cases where the repository doesn=E2=80=99t hol=
d the
full text manuscript, the article information and abstract can be
displayed..

=E2=80=A2      Sharing user access information and embedding final articles=
: We are
testing a workflow in which a user=E2=80=99s access level to the full text =
is
checked on the fly, and if full text access is available, the user will be
served the final published version, instead of the preprint or manuscript
hosted by the repository. Users who are not entitled to view the full text
of the final article will be led to the version available in the
repository, or- if this is not available- to a page where they can view the
first page of the article and options for accessing it (including via
interlibrary loan). This ensures that users will always be served the best
available version. This also enables the repository to display the best
available version to their users even if no self-archived manuscript is
available.
We have not only updated our policies, we are active in developing and
delivering technology that enables research to be shared more widely.
COAR states that the addition of a CC-BY-NC-ND license is unhelpful.
Feedback suggests that clarity about how manuscripts can be used is welcome=
,
 when asked in surveys often choose NC ND of their own volition (see the
T&F study from 2014 at
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/explore/open-access-survey-june2014.pdf),
and it works across a broad range of use cases.
Our refreshed policies are about green OA, and some elements of this =E2=80=
=93 for
example the use of embargo periods =E2=80=93 are specifically for green OA =
when it
is operating in tandem with the subscription business model.  Here time is
needed for the subscription model to operate as libraries will
understandably not subscribe if this material is available immediately and
for free.
In closing, we appreciate an open dialogue and are always happy to have a
dialogue to discuss these, or any other, issues further.
Dr Alicia Wise
Director of Access and Policy
Elsevier I The Boulevard I Langford Lane I Kidlington I Oxford I OX5 1GB
M: +44 (0) 7823 536 826 I E: a.wise AT elsevier.com
*Twitter:  AT wisealic*

------------------------------

Elsevier Limited. Registered Office: The Boulevard, Langford Lane,
Kidlington, Oxford, OX5 1GB, United Kingdom, Registration No. 1982084,
Registered in England and Wales.

--047d7b2e3e58e9b0ab05171fcab3

class=3D"gmail_sendername">Kath=
leen Shearer</b><span
dir=3D"ltr">]</span><br><div
class=3D"gmail_quote"><b=
r><div style=3D"word-wrap:break-word"><div><div
style=3D"word-wrap:break-wo=
rd"><div style=3D"text-align:justify"><font
face=3D"Arial"><span style=3D"f=
ont-size:14px;line-height:19px">(sorry for any
cross-posting)</span></font>=
style=3D"font-size:14px;font-family:Arial;line-height:1.38=
yle=3D"font-size:14px;font-family:Arial;line-height:1.38;text-align:justify=
;vertical-align:baseline">In its recently released =E2=80=9CSharing and
Hos=
ting Policy FAQ=E2=80=9D, Elsevier =E2=80=9Crecognize(s) that authors want =
to share and promote their work and increasingly need to comply with their =
funding body and institution&#39;s open access policies.=E2=80=9D However
t=
here are several aspects of their new policy that severely limit sharing an=
d open access, in particular the lengthy embargo periods imposed in most jo=
urnals-=C2=A0</span><span
style=3D"font-size:14px;font-family:Arial;line-he=
ight:1.38;text-align:justify;vertical-align:baseline">with
about=C2=A0<a hr=
ef=3D"http://www.elsevier.com/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/121293/external-e=
mbargo-list.pdf" target=3D"_blank">90% of Elsevier
journals</a>=C2=A0having=
 embargo periods of 12 months or greater. This is a significant rollback fr=
om the original 2004 Elsevier policy which required no embargos for making =
author=E2=80=99s accepted manuscripts available; and even with the 2012 pol=
icy change requiring embargoes only when authors were subject to an OA mand=
style=3D"font-size:14px"
face=3D"Arial"><br></f=
ont><div
style=3D"line-height:1.38;margin-top:0pt;margin-bottom:0pt;text-al=
ign:justify"><font style=3D"font-size:14px"
face=3D"Arial"><span style=3D"v=
ertical-align:baseline">With article processing charges
(APCs)=C2=A0<font>t=
hat can cost as much as=C2=A0</font></span><span
style=3D"vertical-align:ba=
seline"><font><a
href=3D"https://www.elsevier.com/journal-authors/open-acce=
ss/sponsored-articles" target=3D"_blank"><span
style=3D"vertical-align:base=
line"><font color=3D"#0042aa">$5000 US
t>for publishing in one of Elsevier=E2=80=99s gold open access titles or hy=
brid journals, this is not a viable option for many researchers around the =
world. Furthermore, the rationale for lengthy embargo periods is to protect=
 Elsevier=E2=80=99s subscription revenue. We do not believe that scientific=
, economic and social progress should be hindered in order to protect comme=
rcial interests. In addition, t</span><span
style=3D"line-height:1.38">here=
 is currently no evidence that articles made available through OA repositor=
ies will lead to cancellations.</span><span
style=3D"line-height:1.38">=C2=
style=3D"line-height:1.38;margin-top:0pt;margin=
-bottom:0pt;text-align:justify"><span
style=3D"vertical-align:baseline;font=
-size:14px"><font
-height:1.38;margin-top:0pt;margin-bottom:0pt;text-align:justify"><font sty=
le=3D"font-size:14px" face=3D"Arial"><span
style=3D"vertical-align:baseline=
">Elsevier=E2=80=99s new policy also requires that accepted manuscripts
pos=
ted in open access repositories bear a CC-BY-NC-ND license. This type of li=
cense severely limits the re-use potential of publicly funded research. ND =
restricts the use of derivatives, yet derivative use is=C2=A0</span><a
href=
=3D"http://oaspa.org/why-cc-by/"
style=3D"line-height:1.38;text-decoration:=
none" target=3D"_blank"><span
style=3D"color:rgb(17,85,204);text-decoration=
:underline;vertical-align:baseline">fundamental</span></a><span style=3D"ve=
rtical-align:baseline">=C2=A0to the way in which scholarly research
builds =
on previous findings, for example by re-using a part of an article (with at=
tribution) in educational material. Similarly, this license restricts comme=
rcial re-use greatly=C2=A0</span><a
href=3D"http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2=
005/9/11/16331/0655"
style=3D"line-height:1.38;text-decoration:none" target=
=3D"_blank"><span
style=3D"color:rgb(17,85,204);text-decoration:underline;v=
ertical-align:baseline">inhibiting</span></a><span
style=3D"vertical-align:=
baseline">=C2=A0the potential impact of the results of
research.</span></fo=
style=3D"word-wrap:break-word"><div><font style=
=3D"font-size:14px"
face=3D"Arial"><br></font><div
style=3D"line-height:1.3=
8;margin-top:0pt;margin-bottom:0pt;text-align:justify"><font
style=3D"font-=
size:14px" face=3D"Arial"><span
style=3D"vertical-align:baseline">Elsevier=
=E2=80=99s Director of Access &amp; Policy, Alicia Wise states that they =
=E2=80=9Chave received neutral-to-positive responses from research institut=
ions and the wider research community.=E2=80=9D Yet, since the =E2=80=9C</s=
pan><a
href=3D"https://www.coar-repositories.org/activities/advocacy-leader=
ship/petition-against-elseviers-sharing-policy/"
style=3D"text-decoration:n=
one" target=3D"_blank"><span
style=3D"color:rgb(17,85,204);text-decoration:=
underline;vertical-align:baseline">Statement against Elsevier=E2=80=99s
sha=
ring policy</span></a><span
style=3D"vertical-align:baseline">=E2=80=9D was=
 published just one week ago (on Wednesday May 20, 2015), it has been signe=
d by close to 700 organizations and individuals, demonstrating that there i=
s significant opposition to the
ont-size:14px" face=3D"Arial"><br></font><p
dir=3D"ltr" style=3D"line-heigh=
t:1.38;margin-top:0pt;margin-bottom:10pt"><span
style=3D"vertical-align:bas=
eline;font-size:14px"><font face=3D"Arial">Elsevier has
indicated that they=
 =E2=80=9Care always happy to have a dialogue to discuss these, or any othe=
r, issues further.=E2=80=9D =C2=A0We would like to offer the following conc=
rete recommendations to Elsevier to improve their
<ol style=3D"margin-top:0pt;margin-bottom:0pt"><li
dir=3D"ltr" style=3D"lis=
t-style-type:decimal;vertical-align:baseline"><p
dir=3D"ltr" style=3D"line-=
height:1.38;margin-top:0pt;margin-bottom:10pt"><span
style=3D"vertical-alig=
n:baseline;font-size:14px"><font
face=3D"Arial">Elsevier should allow all a=
uthors to make their =E2=80=9Cauthor=E2=80=99s accepted manuscript=E2=80=9D=
 openly available immediately upon acceptance through an OA repository or o=
ther=C2=A0<font>open
 dir=3D"ltr"
style=3D"list-style-type:decimal;vertical-align:baseline"><p d=
ir=3D"ltr"
style=3D"line-height:1.38;margin-top:0pt;margin-bottom:10pt"><sp=
an style=3D"vertical-align:baseline;font-size:14px"><font
face=3D"Arial">El=
sevier should allow authors to choose the type of open license (from CC-BY =
to other more restrictive licenses like the CC-BY-NC-ND) they want to attac=
h to the content that they are depositing into an open access platform.</fo=
style=3D"list-style-type:decimal;vertica=
l-align:baseline"><p dir=3D"ltr"
style=3D"line-height:1.38;margin-top:0pt;m=
argin-bottom:10pt"><span
style=3D"vertical-align:baseline;font-size:14px"><=
font face=3D"Arial">Elsevier should not attempt to dictate
author=E2=80=99s=
 practices around individual sharing of articles. Individual sharing of jou=
rnal articles is already a scholarly norm and is protected by fair use and =
other copyright exceptions. Elsevier cannot, and should not, dictate practi=
ces around individual sharing of
style=3D"line-height:1.38;margin-top:0pt;margin-bottom:0pt"><font style=3D"=
font-size:14px" face=3D"Arial"><span
style=3D"vertical-align:baseline">We s=
trongly encourage Elsevier to revise their policy in order to better align =
with the interests of the research community.=C2=A0</span>We would also
be =
pleased to meet to discuss these recommendations with Elsevier at any time.=
div
style=3D"line-height:1.38;margin-top:0pt;margin-bottom:0pt"><span style=
=3D"vertical-align:baseline;font-size:14px"><font
face=3D"Arial">Kathleen S=
style=3D"line-heig=
ht:1.38;margin-top:0pt;margin-bottom:0pt"><span
style=3D"line-height:1.38;f=
ont-size:14px"><font
ine-height:1.38;margin-top:0pt;margin-bottom:0pt"><span
style=3D"line-heigh=
t:1.38;font-size:14px"><font face=3D"Arial">Heather
Joseph, Executive Direc=
tor,
ockquote type=3D"cite"><span
class=3D""><div>On May 21, 2015, at 12:05 PM, =
Wise, Alicia (ELS-OXF) &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:A.Wise AT
ELSEVIER.COM" target=3D=
"_blank">A.Wise AT ELSEVIER.COM</a>&gt;
=3D"font-family:TrebuchetMS;font-size:13px;font-style:normal;font-variant:n=
ormal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;line-height:normal;text-alig=
n:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing=
:0px"><span class=3D""><div style=3D"margin:0in
0in 0.0001pt;font-size:12pt=
;font-family:&#39;Times New Roman&#39;,serif"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt=
;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">Hello everyone
=E2=80=93</span></div><p cl=
ass=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin:0in 0in
0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-fami=
ly:&#39;Times New Roman&#39;,serif"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-fami=
ly:Calibri,sans-serif">=C2=A0</span></p><div
style=3D"margin:0in 0in 0.0001=
pt;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roman&#39;,serif"><span style=
=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">Just a quick
note to dra=
w your attention to our article, posted today in Elsevier Connect and in re=
sponse to yesterday=E2=80=99s statement by
COAR:<span>=C2=A0</span><a href=
=3D"http://www.elsevier.com/connect/coar-recting-the-record"
style=3D"color=
:purple;text-decoration:underline"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.elsevier.co=
m/connect/coar-recting-the-record</a><span
style=3D"color:rgb(31,73,125)">.=
append the full tex=
class=3D"MsoNormal" style=
=3D"margin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roman=
&#39;,serif"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">=
=C2=A0</span></p><div style=3D"margin:0in 0in
0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-=
family:&#39;Times New Roman&#39;,serif"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-=
family:Calibri,sans-serif">You might also be interested in this Library
Con=
nect webinar on some of the new institutional repository services we are pi=
loting (<a
href=3D"http://libraryconnect.elsevier.com/articles/2015-01/webi=
nar-institutional-research-repositories-characteristics-relationships-and-r=
oles" style=3D"color:purple;text-decoration:underline"
target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://libraryconnect.elsevier.com/articles/2015-01/webinar-institutional-res=
earch-repositories-characteristics-relationships-and-roles</a>) and
reading=
 our policies for yourselves:</span></div><p
class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"m=
argin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roman&#39;=
,serif"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">=C2=
=A0</span></p><ul
style=3D"margin-bottom:0in;margin-top:0in"
type=3D"disc">=
<li class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin:0in 0in
0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;fon=
t-family:&#39;Times New Roman&#39;,serif"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;fon=
t-family:Calibri,sans-serif">Sharing
=E2=80=93<span>=C2=A0</span><a href=3D=
"http://www.elsevier.com/about/policies/article-posting-policy"
style=3D"co=
lor:purple;text-decoration:underline"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.elsevier=
ormal" style=3D"margin:0in 0in
0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Tim=
es New Roman&#39;,serif"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,=
sans-serif">Hosting -<span>=C2=A0</span><a
href=3D"http://www.elsevier.com/=
about/policies/hosting"
style=3D"color:purple;text-decoration:underline" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">http://www.elsevier.com/about/policies/hosting</a></span></=
li></ul><p class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin:0in
0in 0.0001pt;font-size:1=
2pt;font-family:&#39;Times New Roman&#39;,serif"><span
style=3D"font-size:1=
1pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">=C2=A0</span></p><div style=3D"margin:0=
in 0in 0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roman&#39;,serif"=
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">With best
wi=
shes,</span></div><div style=3D"margin:0in 0in
0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font=
-family:&#39;Times New Roman&#39;,serif"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font=
-family:Calibri,sans-serif">Alicia</span></div><p
class=3D"MsoNormal" style=
=3D"margin:0in 0in 7.5pt;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roman&#3=
9;,serif;line-height:15pt;background-color:white;background-repeat:initial =
initial"><b><span
style=3D"font-size:13.5pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">C=
style=3D"margin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;=
font-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roman&#39;,serif;line-height:15pt=
;background-color:white"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Verdana,=
sans-serif">We have received neutral-to-positive responses from
research in=
stitutions and the wider research community. We are therefore a little surp=
rised that COAR has formed such a negative view, and chosen not to feedback=
 their concerns directly to us.=C2=A0 We would like to correct the misperce=
ptions.</span></div><div style=3D"margin:0in 0in
0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;fo=
nt-family:&#39;Times New
Roman&#39;,serif;line-height:15pt;background-color=
:white"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif">Our s=
haring policy is more liberal in supporting the dissemination and use of re=
search:=C2=A0</span></div><ul
style=3D"margin-bottom:0in" type=3D"disc"><li=
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif">At each
stag=
e of the publication process authors can share their research: before submi=
ssion, from acceptance, upon publication, and post
publication.=C2=A0<span>=
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Verd=
ana,sans-serif">In institutional repositories, which no longer require
a fo=
rmal agreement to host full text content</span></li><li
style=3D"line-heigh=
t:15pt;background-color:white"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Ve=
rdana,sans-serif">Authors can also share on commercial platforms such
as so=
cial collaboration networks</span></li><li
style=3D"line-height:15pt;backgr=
ound-color:white"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Verdana,sans-se=
rif">We provide new services to authors such as the share link which
enable=
s authors to post and share a customized link for 50 days free access to th=
e final published article=C2=A0=C2=A0</span></li><li
style=3D"line-height:1=
5pt;background-color:white"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Verda=
na,sans-serif">For authors who want free immediate access to their
articles=
, we continue to give all authors a choice to publish gold open access with=
 a wide number of open access journals and over 1600 hybrid
titles<span>=C2=
style=3D"margin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;font-size:=
12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roman&#39;,serif;line-height:15pt;backgroun=
d-color:white"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif=
">Unlike the claims in this COAR document, the policy changes are based
on =
feedback from our authors and institutional partners, they are evidence-bas=
ed, and they are in alignment with the STM article sharing principles.=C2=
=A0 They introduce absolutely no changes in our embargo periods.=C2=A0 And =
they are not intended to suddenly embargo and make inaccessible content cur=
rently available to readers =E2=80=93 as we have already communicated in<sp=
an>=C2=A0</span></span><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sa=
ns-serif"><a
href=3D"http://www.elsevier.com/connect/elsevier-updates-its-p=
olicies-perspectives-and-services-on-article-sharing"
style=3D"color:purple=
;text-decoration:underline" target=3D"_blank"><span
style=3D"font-family:Ve=
rdana,sans-serif">Elsevier
e:11pt;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif">.</span></div><div style=3D"margin:0=
in 0in 0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roman&#39;,serif"=
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif">In fact,
we =
have been developing services, in partnership with libraries, to help insti=
tutional repositories track research output and display content to their us=
ers. This includes:</span></div><p
style=3D"margin-left:0.5in"><span style=
=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif"><span>=E2=80=A2<span sty=
le=3D"font-style:normal;font-variant:normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:7p=
t;line-height:normal;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roman&#39;">=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
size:11pt;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif">Sharing metadata: In order to
sho=
wcase an institutions=E2=80=99 work, an institutional repository must ident=
ify their institution=E2=80=99s research output. By integrating the Science=
Direct metadata API into the repository, this task becomes simple. Even in =
cases where the repository doesn=E2=80=99t hold the full text manuscript, t=
he article information and abstract can be
displayed..</span></p><p style=
=3D"margin-left:0.5in"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Verdana,sa=
ns-serif"><span>=E2=80=A2<span
style=3D"font-style:normal;font-variant:norm=
al;font-weight:normal;font-size:7pt;line-height:normal;font-family:&#39;Tim=
es New
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif"=
>Sharing user access information and embedding final articles: We are testi=
ng a workflow in which a user=E2=80=99s access level to the full text is ch=
ecked on the fly, and if full text access is available, the user will be se=
rved the final published version, instead of the preprint or manuscript hos=
ted by the repository. Users who are not entitled to view the full text of =
the final article will be led to the version available in the repository, o=
r- if this is not available- to a page where they can view the first page o=
f the article and options for accessing it (including via interlibrary loan=
). This ensures that users will always be served the best available version=
. This also enables the repository to display the best available version to=
 their users even if no self-archived manuscript is
available.</span></p><d=
iv style=3D"margin:0in 0in
0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times N=
ew
Roman&#39;,serif;line-height:15pt;background-color:white"><span
style=3D=
"font-size:11pt;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif">We have not only
updated ou=
r policies, we are active in developing and delivering technology that enab=
les research to be shared more
gin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roman&#39;,s=
erif;line-height:15pt;background-color:white"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt=
;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif">COAR states that the addition of a
CC-BY-N=
C-ND license is unhelpful.=C2=A0 Feedback suggests that clarity about how m=
anuscripts can be used is
font-size:11pt;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif">when asked in surveys
often =
choose NC ND of their own volition (see the T&amp;F study from 2014
at<span=
>=C2=A0</span><a
href=3D"http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/explore/open-acces=
s-survey-june2014.pdf"
style=3D"color:purple;text-decoration:underline" tar=
get=3D"_blank">http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/explore/open-access-survey-j=
une2014.pdf</a>), and it works across a broad range of use
cases.<span></sp=
style=3D"margin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;font=
-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roman&#39;,serif;line-height:15pt;bac=
kground-color:white"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Verdana,sans=
-serif">Our refreshed policies are about green OA, and some elements of
thi=
s =E2=80=93 for example the use of embargo periods =E2=80=93 are specifical=
ly for green OA when it is operating in tandem with the subscription busine=
ss model.=C2=A0 Here time is needed for the subscription model to operate a=
s libraries will understandably not subscribe if this material is available=
 immediately and for free.=C2=A0</span></div><div
style=3D"margin:0in 0in 0=
.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roman&#39;,serif;line-hei=
ght:15pt;background-color:white"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:=
Verdana,sans-serif">In closing, we appreciate an open dialogue and are
alwa=
ys happy to have a dialogue to discuss these, or any other, issues further.=
style=3D"margin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;font-=
size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New Roman&#39;,serif"><span
style=3D"font-=
size:10pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif;color:rgb(127,127,127)">Dr
Alicia Wi=
se</span></div><div style=3D"margin:0in 0in
0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-fa=
mily:&#39;Times New Roman&#39;,serif"><span
style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-fa=
mily:Arial,sans-serif;color:rgb(127,127,127)">Director of Access and
Policy=
0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-fami=
ly:&#39;Times New Roman&#39;,serif"><span
style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-fami=
ly:Arial,sans-serif;color:rgb(255,153,0)">Elsevier<span>=C2=A0</span></span=
style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif;color:gray">I
T=
he Boulevard I Langford Lane I Kidlington I Oxford I OX5
1GB</span><span st=
yle=3D"font-family:Arial,sans-serif;color:gray"></span></div><div style=3D"=
margin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roman&#39=
;,serif"><span
style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif;color:g=
ray">M: <a href=3D"tel:%2B44%20%280%29%207823%20536%20826"
value=3D"+447823=
536826" target=3D"_blank">+44 (0) 7823 536 826</a> I
E:<span>=C2=A0</span><=
a href=3D"mailto:a.wise AT elsevier.com"
style=3D"color:purple;text-decoration=
:underline" target=3D"_blank">a.wise AT
e=3D"margin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roma=
n&#39;,serif"><b><span
style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif=
;color:gray">Twitter:  AT
styl=
e=3D"margin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;font-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roma=
n&#39;,serif"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"=
>=C2=A0</span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"
style=3D"margin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;f=
ont-size:12pt;font-family:&#39;Times New
Roman&#39;,serif"><span style=3D"f=
ont-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif;color:rgb(31,73,125)">=C2=A0</=
class=3D""><br style=3D"font-family:TrebuchetMS=
;font-size:13px;font-style:normal;font-variant:normal;font-weight:normal;le=
tter-spacing:normal;line-height:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;tex=
t-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px"><hr
style=3D"font-fam=
ily:TrebuchetMS;font-size:13px;font-style:normal;font-variant:normal;font-w=
eight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;line-height:normal;text-align:start;text=
-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px"><p sty=
le=3D"font-family:TrebuchetMS;font-size:13px;font-style:normal;font-variant=
:normal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;line-height:normal;text-al=
ign:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spaci=
ng:0px"><span
style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Elsevie=