[BOAI] Elsevier: Trying to squeeze the virtual genie back into the physical bottle

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum AT gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 14:25:48 -0400

Threading:      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: Elsevier: Trying to squeeze the virtual genie back into the physical bottle from harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk

--001a11357bd08e1c610516ec234c

*Alicia Wise wrote*
<http://www.elsevier.com/connect/coar-recting-the-record#comment-2037996108=

:

*Dear Stevan,*

*I admire your vision and passion for green open access =E2=80=93 in fact w=
e all do
here at Elsevier - and for your tenacity as your definitions and concepts
of green open access have remain unchanged for more than 15 years. We also
recognize that the open access landscape has changed dramatically over the
last few years, for example with the emergence of Social Collaboration
Networks. This refresh of our policy, the first since 2004, reflects what
we are hearing from researchers and research institutions about how we can
support their changing needs. We look forward to continuing input from and
collaboration with the research community, and will continue to review and
refine our policy.*

*Let me state clearly that we support both green and gold OA. Embargo
periods have been used by us =E2=80=93 and other publishers =E2=80=93 for a=
 very long time
and are not new. The only thing that=E2=80=99s changed about IRs is our old=
 policy
said you had to have an agreement which included embargos, and the new
policy is you don=E2=80=99t need to do an agreement provided you and your a=
uthors
comply with the embargo period policy. It might be most constructive for
people to just judge us based on reading through the policy and considering
what we have said and are saying.*

*With kind wishes and good night,*

*Alicia Wise, Elsevier*

Dear Alicia,

You wrote:

*"This refresh of our policy [is| the first since 2004... Embargo periods
have been used by us... for a very long time and are not new. The only
thing that=E2=80=99s changed about IRs is our old policy said you had to ha=
ve an
agreement which included embargos..."*

Is this the old policy that hasn't changed changed since 2004 (when
Elsevier was still on the "side of the angels
<http://j.mp/OAngelS>"
insofar as Green OA was concerned) until the "refresh"? (I don't see
any
mention of embargoes in it...):