[BOAI] US Federal Agency Open Access Mandate Implementation

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 18:24:38 -0400

On Oct 25, 2014, at 5:42 PM, David Wojick <dwojick AT CRAIGELLACHIE.US>
wrote:

> Stevan, I do not expect the various agencies to agree on a process. If
they do it will be the DOE
> approach, because the software is there. It might be like the Science.gov
portal, which OSTI operates.
> Ideally they will get all their articles via CHORUS and that is the hope.

David, CHORUS, with its reliance on publishers is not an ideal hope, it is a
worst-case nightmare!

> The primary consideration is cost because there is no new funding for the
Public Access program.

That’s just fine. No money is needed from the Feds, just the adoption of the
right OA mandate. And
that happens to be the one that entails no cost to the Feds: Institutional
Repository deposit,
monitored and ensured by the institutions, as part of the fulfillment
conditions for the funding.

> PMC is rich while the other agencies have very little money for this.

PMC is not a research funder! PMC does not mandate anything. NIH does. And NIH
too,
rich or not, should mandate institutional deposit (and then exporting to PMC).
All cost-free
software functions.

> However, there was a rumor about 5 months ago that NSF would go with an
"any repository”
> approach, but still with the 12 month embargo. IPA covered it.

Fine, but it won’t work unless NSF specifies institutional repository deposit
and adds an
immediate-deposit clause, to ensure compliance monitoring and verification by
institutions.
The 12-month embargo on OA will be mooted by the institutions’ automated
copy-request
Button — as long as authors must deposit immediately and not just after the
embargo!

> Now the rumor is that NSF will go the DOE route, but no one really knows
what the agencies
> will do because the decisions simply have not been made. Hence my
newsletter.

Fine, good to hear they are still open to different options. Let’s hope some of
us can draw
their attention to the objective evidence.

> The feds have little, if any,interest in what the Brits are doing.

I hope and believe you are wrong about that. The interest should not be in the
UK per
se but in empirical evidence on which to base an evidence-based policy.

> Neither APC nor immediate deposit are on the table.

Good to remove APCs from the table, because the evidence there is negative.

But I hope other factors — like immediate deposit and institutional deposit —
remain
on the table, because the evidence is in their favor.

> But most of the agencies probably have to go through rulemaking to
implement their programs
> so you can comment then, as can everyone.

I will of course comment again, as I have always done in the past. The question
is whether I will be
unheeded again, as in the past...

Harnad, S. (1999) Critiques of H. Varmus E-biomed  Proposal
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/22404/
http://www.nih.gov/about/director/ebiomed/com0801.htm
http://www.nih.gov/about/director/ebiomed/com0725.htm

(2004) Recommendations to UK Science/Technology Committee Open Access
Self-Archiving Mandate
http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Temp/UKSTC.htm

 (2011) What Is To Be Done About Public Access
to Peer-Reviewed Scholarly Publications Resulting From Federally
Funded Research? (Response to US OSTP RFI).
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/273080/

(2012) Public Access to Federally Funded Research
(Harnad Response to US OSTP RFI)  Open Access Archivangelism 865/866
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/865-.html

(2013) Follow-Up Comments for BIS Select Committee
on Open Access. UK Parliament Publications and Records, Spring
Issue http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/352011/

(2013) Comments on HEFCE/REF Open Access Mandate Proposal.
Open access and submissions to the REF post-2014
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/349893/

(2013) Evidence to House of Lords Science and Technology
Select Committee on Open Access. House of Lords Science and Technology
Committee on Open Access, Winter Issue,
119-123. http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/348479/

(2013) Evidence to BIS Select Committee Inquiry on Open Access. Written
Evidence to BIS Select Committee Inquiry on Open Access, Winter
Issue http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/348483/

(2013) Recommandation au ministre québécois de l'enseignement supérieur.
http://j.mp/QUoaRecs

(2013) Harnad Comments on Canada’s NSERC/SSHRC/CIHR Draft Tri-Agency Open
Access Policy.
Canadian Tri-Agency Call for Comments, Autumn Issue
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/358972/

Stevan Harnad

http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html On Oct 25, 2014, at 4:24 PM, David
Wojick <dwojick AT CRAIGELLACHIE.US> wrote:

>>> Stevan, as I keep pointing out, the Federal government does not
see it your way,
>>> so repeating your way is rather beside the point.
>>>
>>> As for my role, when I have a Federal client I do not advocate
policy. I do issue analysis
>>> to facilitate policy decisions, or program design to implement
them, or trouble shooting
>>> when a program does not work.
>>>
>>> In the case of the Public Access program, the OSTP mandate was
preceded by a lengthy
>>> interagency deliberation. The DOE OSTI Director co-chaired that
effort and I did a lot of
>>> his staff work. The group failed to reach consensus because there
were two opposing
>>> schools of thought, which accounts for some of the vagueness in
the mandate.
>>> One school, led by PMC, wanted a PMC approach wherein the
government ran its own repository.
>>> (I call it PubFed Central.) The other, led by DOE, wanted to
maximize the use of existing resources
>>> in a 3 tiered approach. Use the publisher's version of record and
website where possible, or a
>>> repository if the publisher's version was not available, or a
Federal repository as a last resort.
>>> There was never, ever, any consideration of a repository mandate,
much less immediate deposit.

>> It sounds to me more like the "Federal government" has not
yet worked out a coherent implementation
>> of the OSTP mandate, which is vague or moot on the crucial
implementation parameters we are
>> discussing, and the many agencies — of which DOA/OSTI is only one —
have not yet come to an
>> agreement about them either.
>>
>> What is seems obvious is that the “3-tiered approach,” where the OA
provision distributed two ways
>> between the fundees (who are bound by the funder mandate) and
publishers (who are not), and where
>> the locus of the OA provision is distributed between institutional
repositories, central repositories and
>> publisher websites is the worst possible one, both for the authors and
for monitoring and ensuring
>> compliance.
>>
>> Yes, you’re quite right that the agencies did not consult me, as they
did you. But I prefer to believe
>> that they — like the UK funding councils, who have been at it much
loner — remain open to
>> evidence-based recommendations on the crucial implementation
parameters, such as what should
>> be deposited, how, when, where, by whom — and above all why.
>>
>> The optimal mandate is of course institutional deposit, with
compliance monitored by the institution,
>> and then central export or harvest if desired. (Users find OA content
on the web these days, e.g.,
>> via google and google scholar: the notion of a central collection is
already obsolete. No one deposits
>> directly in google. But institutional deposit is crucial for
compliance monitoring as well as institutional
>> record-keeping.
>> Vincent-Lamarre, P., Boivin, J., Gargouri, Y., Larivière, V., &
Harnad, S. (2014).
>> Estimating Open Access Mandate Effectiveness: I. The MELIBEA Score.
arXiv preprint arXiv:1410.2926.

http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html David,

than in your role as policy consultant to OSTI.

doing, but as a consultant you were

of federal agency or university OA policy

the refereed final draft immediately
length on the deposit should be

neither their approval nor their collaboration.

implementation of the mandate that cause the needless

CRAIGELLACHIE.US > wrote:

> [...]
prior to joining DOE in 2004. In this role I get to criticize everyone,
including the publishers. My rag is http://insidepublicaccess.com/ which you
might consider subscribing to in order to know what is actually going on. If
you think the publishers have any sort of control you are mistaken, as the Feds
are in charge. I have written about this in some detail. However, if you know
of any US agency that is taking your proposals seriously I would love to hear
about it.

medical students is investigating DOE, probably looking for improper liaison
with the publishers (which I doubt exists). Here are some excerpts from this
weeks issue of Inside Public Access:

of Information Act request targeting correspondence between DOE and the
"publishing industry" regarding the Department's Public Access
program. The FOIA request comes from the American Medical Student Association
and appears to be related to their "Access to Medicine" campaign. The
purpose of the request is unclear at this time.

Association (AMSA) has filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with
the US Energy Department. The request is reportedly for "Copies of all
correspondence including electronic and paper communications, between all
Department of Energy personnel tasked with developing the Department of
Energy's plan for providing access to the results of federally funded research
and the publishing industry relating to the development, drafting and
implementation of said plan for providing access to the results of federally
funded research released on August 4, 2014." DOE is working to collect and
deliver all the requested documents. Everything prior to September 11, 2014,
when the request was finalized, will be included.

FOIA action. Kent Anderson, editor of the prestigious Scholarly Kitchen blog
and President of the Society for Scholarly Publishing, did a FOIA action
against PubMed Central that yielded a considerable amount of potentially
damaging information. In particular, Anderson made a number of allegations of
conflict of interest and other wrongs in some collaborations between PMC and
certain publishers.

between agencies and the public. Unfortunately this AMSA enquiry comes just
when that sort of communication is most important, because DOE and the
scholarly community must work closely together if Public Access is going to
work well. As they say, the devil is in the details, and the details are now
upon us. As we have documented here in Inside Public Access, there are a host
of serious and complex procedural issues yet to be worked out.

be seen what, if anything, AMSA finds. Perhaps the real danger is that innocent
statements will be taken out of context and used politically, rather than to
improve the Public Access program. On the other hand maybe there is something
wrong going on. In any case the results may be quite interesting, now that the
spotlight is on.

william.gunn AT MENDELEY.COM> wrote:

> [...]
Access" does have a certain ring to it, now that I think about it...
Mendeley |  AT mrgunn
| (650) 614-1749

means Dead On Arrival? Given that the US Public
more like Dominant On Arrival, since the Feds
research. In that regard I notice that the definition of DOA
should. The US action may be decisive.

muddled. Hybrid is not a kind of article access at all,
need a different set of definitions for articles and journals.
that the publishers have basically said "Okay, if you
articles, then we will take it." Wiley, for example, is bringing
looks like DOA and APC are the future of OA. Of course

demise of OA embargoes…

consultants who try to steer them in the direction

subscriptions unsustainable: Mandate Green Open Access.