[BOAI] Re: Open Access Week: Series of reports on OA

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 17:00:20 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] Re: Open Access Week: Series of reports on OA from harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk
      • This Message

On Oct 25, 2014, at 4:24 PM, David Wojick <dwojick AT CRAIGELLACHIE.US>
wrote:

> Stevan, as I keep pointing out, the Federal government does not see it
your way,
> so repeating your way is rather beside the point.
>
> As for my role, when I have a Federal client I do not advocate policy. I
do issue analysis
> to facilitate policy decisions, or program design to implement them, or
trouble shooting
> when a program does not work.
>
> In the case of the Public Access program, the OSTP mandate was preceded by
a lengthy
> interagency deliberation. The DOE OSTI Director co-chaired that effort and
I did a lot of
> his staff work. The group failed to reach consensus because there were two
opposing
> schools of thought, which accounts for some of the vagueness in the
mandate.
> One school, led by PMC, wanted a PMC approach wherein the government ran
its own repository.
> (I call it PubFed Central.) The other, led by DOE, wanted to maximize the
use of existing resources
> in a 3 tiered approach. Use the publisher's version of record and website
where possible, or a
> repository if the publisher's version was not available, or a Federal
repository as a last resort.
> There was never, ever, any consideration of a repository mandate, much
less immediate deposit.

It sounds to me more like the "Federal government" has not yet worked
out a coherent implementation
of the OSTP mandate, which is vague or moot on the crucial implementation
parameters we are
discussing, and the many agencies — of which DOA/OSTI is only one — have not
yet come to an
agreement about them either.

What is seems obvious is that the “3-tiered approach,” where the OA provision
distributed two ways
between the fundees (who are bound by the funder mandate) and publishers (who
are not), and where
the locus of the OA provision is distributed between institutional
repositories, central repositories and
publisher websites is the worst possible one, both for the authors and for
monitoring and ensuring
compliance.

Yes, you’re quite right that the agencies did not consult me, as they did you.
But I prefer to believe
that they — like the UK funding councils, who have been at it much loner —
remain open to
evidence-based recommendations on the crucial implementation parameters, such
as what should
be deposited, how, when, where, by whom — and above all why.

The optimal mandate is of course institutional deposit, with compliance
monitored by the institution,
and then central export or harvest if desired. (Users find OA content on the
web these days, e.g.,
via google and google scholar: the notion of a central collection is already
obsolete. No one deposits
directly in google. But institutional deposit is crucial for compliance
monitoring as well as institutional
record-keeping.
Vincent-Lamarre, P., Boivin, J., Gargouri, Y., Larivière, V., & Harnad, S.
(2014).
Estimating Open Access Mandate Effectiveness: I. The MELIBEA Score. arXiv
preprint arXiv:1410.2926.

http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html David,

>> I am afraid I am less interested in your role as journalist than in
your role as policy consultant to OSTI.

>> As journalist you are reporting what the federal agencies are doing,
but as a consultant you were
>> influencing what a federal agency was doing.
>>
>> To cut to the quick: The simplest way to keep publishers out of
federal agency or university OA policy
>> is not to consult them at all.
>>
>> All Green OA mandates should require institutional deposit of the
refereed final draft immediately
>> upon acceptance for publication, and the allowable OA embargo length
on the deposit should be
>> decided by the federal agency (or university).
>>
>> That’s all. Publishers have nothing to do with it — it needs neither
their approval nor their collaboration.

>> It is attempts to get publishers involved in the implementation of the
mandate that cause the needless

CRAIGELLACHIE.US > wrote:

>>> Stevan (I prefer to reply at the top like most people here),
>>>
>>> As you should know, I am now a journalist, which I was prior to
joining DOE in 2004. In this role I get to criticize everyone, including the
publishers. My rag is http://insidepublicaccess.com/ which you might consider
subscribing to in order to know what is actually going on. If you think the
publishers have any sort of control you are mistaken, as the Feds are in
charge. I have written about this in some detail. However, if you know of any
US agency that is taking your proposals seriously I would love to hear about
it.

>>> Something very interesting is going on, namely a group of medical
students is investigating DOE, probably looking for improper liaison with the
publishers (which I doubt exists). Here are some excerpts from this weeks issue
of Inside Public Access:

>>> DOE hit with Public Access FOIA request
>>>
>>> Synopsis: The US Energy Dept. is responding to a Freedom of
Information Act request targeting correspondence between DOE and the
"publishing industry" regarding the Department's Public Access
program. The FOIA request comes from the American Medical Student Association
and appears to be related to their "Access to Medicine" campaign. The
purpose of the request is unclear at this time.

>>> AMSA and the FOIA request
>>>
>>> Ms. Reshma Ramachandran from the American Medical Student
Association (AMSA) has filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with
the US Energy Department. The request is reportedly for "Copies of all
correspondence including electronic and paper communications, between all
Department of Energy personnel tasked with developing the Department of
Energy's plan for providing access to the results of federally funded research
and the publishing industry relating to the development, drafting and
implementation of said plan for providing access to the results of federally
funded research released on August 4, 2014." DOE is working to collect and
deliver all the requested documents. Everything prior to September 11, 2014,
when the request was finalized, will be included.

>>> Interestingly, there is a recent precedent for the AMSA FOIA
action. Kent Anderson, editor of the prestigious Scholarly Kitchen blog and
President of the Society for Scholarly Publishing, did a FOIA action against
PubMed Central that yielded a considerable amount of potentially damaging
information. In particular, Anderson made a number of allegations of conflict
of interest and other wrongs in some collaborations between PMC and certain
publishers.

>>> FOIA actions have a tendency to chill communications between
agencies and the public. Unfortunately this AMSA enquiry comes just when that
sort of communication is most important, because DOE and the scholarly
community must work closely together if Public Access is going to work well. As
they say, the devil is in the details, and the details are now upon us. As we
have documented here in Inside Public Access, there are a host of serious and
complex procedural issues yet to be worked out.

>>> I have trouble believing it is worth it, but it remains to be seen
what, if anything, AMSA finds. Perhaps the real danger is that innocent
statements will be taken out of context and used politically, rather than to
improve the Public Access program. On the other hand maybe there is something
wrong going on. In any case the results may be quite interesting, now that the
spotlight is on.

william.gunn AT MENDELEY.COM> wrote:

> [...]
does have a certain ring to it, now that I think about it...
AT mrgunn
614-1749

CRAIGELLACHIE.US > wrote:
> [...]
On Arrival? Given that the US Public
like Dominant On Arrival, since the Feds
that regard I notice that the definition of DOA
US action may be decisive.

is not a kind of article access at all,
different set of definitions for articles and journals.
publishers have basically said "Okay, if you
we will take it." Wiley, for example, is bringing
like DOA and APC are the future of OA. Of course

immediately,

who try to steer them in the direction

subscriptions unsustainable: Mandate Green Open Access.