[BOAI] Re: Open Access Week: Series of reports on OA

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 09:02:47 -0400

Threading:      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: Open Access Week: Series of reports on OA from harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk

MENDELEY.COM> wrote:

>> DOA as an acronym for "Delayed Open Access" does have a
certain ring to it, now that I think about it...

CRAIGELLACHIE.US> wrote:

> Are you referring to the fact that DOA usually means Dead On Arrival?
Given that the US Public
> Access program has opted for delayed access it is more like Dominant On
Arrival, since the Feds
> fund a significant fraction of all published research. In that regard I
notice that the definition of DOA
> does not mention government mandates, which it should. The US action may
be decisive.

> Also the references to hybrid are somewhat muddled. Hybrid is not a kind
of article access at all,
> rather it is a kind of journal access. Perhaps we need a different set of
definitions for articles and journals.

> What does seem funny to me, as an observer, is that the publishers have
basically said "Okay, if you
> insist on giving us money to publish your articles, then we will take
it." Wiley, for example, is bringing
> out a bunch of new APC journals. At this point it looks like DOA and APC
are the future of OA. Of course
> that may change given time.

> David Wojick

> http://insidepublicaccess.com/

Try IDOA instead of DOA to bring access back to life immediately,
and to hasten the (inevitable and well-deserved) demise of OA embargoes…

And the feds will lead the way only if they ignore consultants who try to steer
them in the direction
of publisher control, publisher embargoes and DOA, and go IDOA instead.

(Bravo to William Gunn for his spot-on pun!)

Harnad, S (2014) The only way to make inflated journal subscriptions
unsustainable: Mandate Green Open Access.
LSE Impact of Social Sciences Blog 4/28

Vincent-Lamarre, P., Boivin, J., Gargouri, Y., Larivière, V., & Harnad, S.
(2014).
Estimating Open Access Mandate Effectiveness: I. The MELIBEA Score. arXiv
preprint arXiv:1410.2926.