[BOAI] Re: ScieCom info - new issue

From: =?utf-8?B?R2F6ZGFzw6FncHN6aWNob2zDs2dpYWkgdGFuc3rDqWs=?= <dept.psychecon AT>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 07:35:28 -0700 (PDT)

European Department of Economic Psychology

Nice, France
Founding professor: Laszlo Garai DSc
Research manager: Gloria SZALA
Academic dictionaries and encyclopedias:
 Dear Everybody,

What about connecting somehow our correspondance to True enough,
the scientific profile of the is broader then ours is, but so

Kind regards

Laszlo Garai

Laszlo Garai

On Friday, May 30, 2014 3:07 PM, Ingegerd Rabow <ingegerd.rabow AT> wrote:

>Welcome to the May 2014 issue of ScieCom info. Nordic - Baltic Forum for
Scientific Communication.
>We are very pleased to have received new financial support from the Nordic
National Libraries for 2014.
>This enables us to continue to provide our readers with information and
reports on the developments in scholarly communication in the Baltic and Nordic
>Helsinki, Finland: The conference "Open Repositories 2014" is
arranged in Helsinki 9-13.6.2014. More information on:
>Tromsø, Norway:
>The 9th annual Munin Conference on Scholarly Publishing will be held
26–27 November 2014 at UiT The Arctic University of Norway in Tromsø.
>The Munin Conferences raise and debate questions within the theme of
scholarly publishing. The list of keynote speakers for this year’s conference
is as exciting as ever.
>Žibutė Petrauskienė and Saulius Maskeliūnas from Vilnius University
describe the implementing of a national OA archive of research data - MIDAS
-and how it will provide virtual services for participants in researchers and
>This is expected to lead to more efficient research and higher quality. The
various benefits and possibilities are discussed, as well as the tools
>The aim of this National Open Access Research Data Archive is to increase
the global visibility of Lithuanian science and facilitate international
>In her study “Open Access publishing in Lithuania: Mykolas Romeris
University publishing case study“ Natalija Popkova, a librarian at Mykolas
Romeris University (MRU) in Vilnius , analyses the 2013 results on readability
and sales since the introduction of the eBooks Portal at the university.
>MRU is the first Lithuanian university to give open access to scientific
journals, textbooks, and monographs. The MRU eBooks Portal applies the Creative
Commons 4.0 license.
>An interesting feature is that they have used the DAISY format to publish
MRU eBooks, thus also making it available for the disabled.
>Our Icelandic editor Sólveig Thorsteinsdottir describes the “Open Access
to research articles published in Iceland in 2013 “. She carefully compares
the number of Icelandic publications in foreign journals, as shown by searching
in the Web of Science with the open access availability, either Green, Hybrid
or Gold, of the same articles according to the Directory of Open Access
Journals (DOAJ).
>There has been a slow but steady growth of OA in Iceland.The total number
of all varieties of OA for all of Iceland is now approximately 30% and for
Landspitali, the National University Hospital, 40%. Figures split per OA
variety show some interesting differences
>In his article “The past, present & future of Open Access“, Mikael
Laakso, researcher in Information Systems Science at Hanken School of Economics
in Helsinki, summarizes his recent doctoral thesis “Measuring Open Access -
Studies of Web-enabled Innovation in Scientific Journal Publish, in which
Mikael Laakso examines the Open Access phenomenon from a quantitative
>He has looked at the development of article publishing in scientific open
access journals as well as the number of articles uploaded on the Internet and
made available by authors themselves. His results show that there has been a
rapid and even aggressive change in the field of scientific and scholarly
publishing, but that there still remains a lot to be done to promote openness
in research, and especially when it comes to the important factor of individual
researchers taking an active interest in the process of publishing.
>Our Danish editor Adrian Price at the Faculty of Science Library,
Frederiksberg, University of Copenhagen, presents a recently published report
from the Knowledge Exchange (KE) project in “Knowledge Exchange working group
on authority files”.
>The report explains the concept “authority files”- controlled lists of
data elements - and how they are used in the information infrastructure.
>There is an increasing need for quality controlled data as the amount of
global information grows. Authority files are very useful for repositories.
Examples of authority files are ISSN, ISBN, and the DOI (Digital Object
Identifier) for articles, and the ORCID system for identifying authors,
inventors, artists etc.
>Finally, Mikael K Elbæk, a systems librarian at the Technical Information
Center of Denmark, has written about the “Danish Open Access Barometer.“
>This was a project financed by DEFF with two related goals: to investigate
the OA-status of Danish research publications from 2011, and to develop a
prototype for a web-based Danish “Open Access Barometer”. The main results
of the OA investigation are presented here, together with a general description
of the OA Barometer.
>It was found that the technical universities had the highest OA rate, led
by the IT University with more than half of all its publications OA.
>The universities that performed less well tended to be biased towards the
humanities and social sciences. 57 % of all publications were found to have OA
potential, and for 21% the potential had been realised.