[BOAI] New and Old Articles About Innovative Information Systems

From: "Gerry Mckiernan" <gerrymck AT iastate.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:47:47 -0600

Threading:      • This Message
             [BOAI] New and Old Articles About Innovative Information Systems from gerrymck AT iastate.edu

        _New and Old Articles About Innovative Information Systems_

I am pleased to announce the publication and availability of self-archived
copies of
two of my SCI-5 columns devoted to Innovative Information Systems:

"New Age E-Journals, Indexes, and Services,"
Science & Technology Libraries, Vol. 21, No. 3/4, 2001 [2003], pp. 223-233.

[ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/EJIS.pdf]

"Scholar-Based Initiatives in Publishing," Science & Technology
Libraries, Vol. 22, No. 3/4, 2002 [2003], pp. 181-191

[ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/SBI.pdf  ]

I am also pleased to announce the availability of self-archived copies of
previously published articles that profile other Innovative Information
Systems, etc:

"eCONF: The SLAC Electronic Conference Proceedings Archive," Library
Hi Tech News, Vol. 18 No. 5, 2001, pp. 16-23.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/eCONF.pdf

ABSTRACT

To promote the publication and expedite the availability of conference
proceedings, an experimental archive titled eConf has been established under
the auspices of the SLAC Technical Information Services department. At this
time, the eConf archive is limited to proceedings in high-energy physics and
related fields. The archive
presently contains the conference papers of two proceedings: the 19th
International Symposium on Lepton and Photon Interactions at High Energies (LP
99) and 20th International
Linac Conference.

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/econf/

"EnergyFiles: The Virtual Library of Energy Science and Technology,"
Library Hi Tech News, Vol. 20, No. 1, January/February  2003, 30-36.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/EnergyFiles.pdf

ABSTRACT

The targeted audience for EnergyFiles is end users and organizations having a
need for
energy-related scientific and technical information. Anticipated primary users
include
researchers, scientists, project managers, program, managers, academic
(educators and students), and associated information professionals.

NOTE: Review of previous version of interface and system

http://www.osti.gov/EnergyFiles/

"Library Database Advisors - Emerging Innovative Augmented Digital Library
Services," Library Hi Tech News Vol. 19, No. 4, May 2002, pp. 27-33.

"Why should we make our users hunt down the best resource for a given
information need and learn how to use its particular options for searching? Why
not provide them with a simple way to get started?" || Roy Tennant ||

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/LDBA.pdf

"Web-based Journal Manuscript Management and Peer-Review Systems and
Services," Library Hi Tech News Vol. 19, No. 7, August 2002, pp.  31-43.

"* [A] paperless system would significantly reduce delays in all aspects
of the dissemination cycle. The composition process itself should be speeded up
and so should the whole interaction among writers, publishers, and
referees."  || F. W. Lancaster ||

[Lancaster, F.W., Toward Paperless Information Systems ( Academic Press: New
York, NY, 1978), 127.]

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/PeerSoft.pdf

And BTW: For the Irish amongst us, as well as those who wish they were [:-)]:
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Enjoy!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
New and Old Irish Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck AT iastate.edu

"You should never wear your best [green] trousers when you go out to fight
for freedom and liberty." With Apologies to Henrik Ibsen (1828 - 1906)