[BOAI] Launch of Open Access Button Crowd Funding Campaign!

From: Nick Shockey <nick AT arl.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:17:50 -0400

Hi all,

I’m excited to share that the Open Access Button, a student-led project to map
collisions with paywalls and connect users with freely accessible copies of
paywalled articles, is crowd funding its next stage of development. We have
been involved with this project from the beginning and have been continually
impressed with the utility of the tool the students have been able to create.
If you haven’t seen the Button already, I encourage you to check it out at
www.openaccessbutton.org.

The students involved really want the Button to be a community owned resource
and thought crowd funding the development of its next generation would be a
great way of doing so while seeking additional sources of support for the
project.  With the right support, I think the Button could become a useful
piece of infrastructure for the Open Access community, and the project is a
perfect example of the next generation leading the way on creating a more open
system of scholarly communication.

The press release for the crowd funding campaign is copied below.  You can
contribute directly through the campaign’s page on Indiegogo:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/button-2-0#home.  Finally, please share this
announcement with any friends and colleagues who may be interested!

Thanks,

Nick

___________
Nick Shockey
Director, Right to Research Coalition
Director of Programs and Engagement, SPARC
nick AT arl.org
+1 202 296 2296
Skype: nick.shockey
http://www.righttoresearch.org
http://www.sparc.arl.org

The Open Access Button to crowdfund Button 2.0
Contact: openaccessbutton AT medsin.org, David Carroll +447849573408

LONDON, UK – The Open Access Button is launching a crowdfunding campaign on
Indiegogo to raise £20,000 to support the development of Button 2.0. The Open
Access Button is a browser bookmarklet that helps users report when they hit
journal paywalls and cannot access research articles. Button 2.0 will be an
expanded version of this tool with new features and further ways to gain access
to research.

Every day, people try to access academic research articles – doctors seeking
the newest treatments, researchers advancing our understanding of the world,
students trying to further their education. But instead of the essential
information they seek, too often these people are confronted by paywalls
demanding a fee in exchange for access, sometimes as high as $40 per article.
These paywalls exist because a large portion of the academic literature is
published in expensive, subscription-based journals whose prices have outpaced
inflation for several decades.

University students David Carroll and Joseph McArthur created The Open Access
Button in response to their own frustrations with gaining access to the results
of academic research. “My university is able to afford subscriptions to many
journals, and yet I still can’t access everything I need,” said Carroll, who
studies Medicine at Queen’s University Belfast. “It made me wonder how many
others have had the same experience, and how it is impacting people across the
globe.”

The beta version of the Open Access Button was launched in November 2013 and
has since mapped over 6500 paywalls across the globe. McArthur, who studies
pharmacology at University College London, said, “Until now, being denied
access was invisible, because it happened to people individually. The Button
collects these separate experiences and showcases the global magnitude of the
problem.”

The project now boasts an international team of 20 students and a professional
steering committee. Ultimately, the Button supports a full move to Open Access
publishing, which is the free, immediately online availability of research
articles along with the rights to fully re-use these articles. The data
generated by the project will be a critical tool for advocates, politicians and
government officials as the Open Access movement works to drive policy change.

The money raised through the crowdfunding campaign will be used to fund the
development of Button 2.0, and allow the project’s team to achieve their target
of launching Button 2.0 during Open Access Week in October 2014. The
crowdfunding campaign will run until May 29.