[BOAI] Now we really know what OA is all about, thanks to Beall :-)

From: Jean-Claude =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gu=E9don?= <jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 09:30:54 -0500

This has to be the funniest article I have read in years. IUt should
have been published on April 1st.

http://triplec.at/index.php/tripleC/article/view/525?utm_term=%
23oa&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Here is the abstract:

While the open-access (OA) movement purports to be about making
scholarly content
open-access, its true motives are much different. The OA movement is an
anti-corporatist movement
that wants to deny the freedom of the press to companies it disagrees
with. The movement is also
actively imposing onerous mandates on researchers, mandates that
restrict individual freedom. To
boost the open-access movement, its leaders sacrifice the academic
futures of young scholars and
those from developing countries, pressuring them to publish in
lower-quality open-access journals.
The open-access movement has fostered the creation of numerous predatory
publishers and
standalone journals, increasing the amount of research misconduct in
scholarly publications and the
amount of pseudo-science that is published as if it were authentic
science.

Incidentally, I wonder if Beall knows that corporatism was a doctrine
supported by Pope Leo XIII in the late 19th century. Fascist corporatism
was of course one of the main tenets of Mussolini's political agenda. I
suspect he meant "anti-corporation" meaning really anti-capitalistic.

Jean-Claude Guédon
--

Jean-Claude Guédon
Professeur titulaire