[BOAI] Elsevier's Philippe Terheggen on the state of Open Access: Where are we, what still needs to be done?

From: "Richard Poynder" <ricky AT richardpoynder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 14:00:36 +0100

Threading:      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: Elsevier's Philippe Terheggen on the state of Open Access: Where are we, what still needs to be done? from peter.suber AT gmail.com
             [BOAI] Re: Elsevier's Philippe Terheggen on the state of Open Access: Where are we, what still needs to be done? from richard.poynder AT btinternet.com

A new Q&A in a series exploring the current state of Open Access has been
published. This one is with Philippe Terheggen Director Journal Development
and Support at Elsevier. Terheggen, who is responsible for all 2,500 of
Elsevier's journals, is the second representative of a traditional
commercial publisher to take part in this series.

As the largest legacy journal publisher, Elsevier tends to attract more
criticism from the OA movement than other publishers. One could argue,
however, that it has conspired in this by doing more than other publishers
to try to derail OA - not least by aggressively supporting the infamous
Research Works Act (RWA) in 2011. Today, however, Elsevier accepts that OA
has become mainstream, that it needs to embrace it, and that it may not turn
out to be the monster that the publisher assumed it to be. As Philippe
Terheggen says in the Q&A, "In my opinion, we're past the notion of OA
as a
threat to publishers as there are many examples of OA publishers who run a
perfectly healthy business."

The  Q&A can be read here:

http://poynder.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/elseviers-philippe-terheggen-on-state.
html