[BOAI] http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/blog/2013/sep/05/university-london-shakespeare-folio-sale

From: Julia Bolton Holloway <holloway.julia AT tiscali.it>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 11:28:47 +0200

Excerpted from the above by Martin Paul Eve:

More interesting, I think, is the fact that this sale exposes the larger
and ongoing economic problem faced by research libraries. In tandem with
lagging library budgets
<http://cen.acs.org/articles/90/i46/Easy-Answer-Library-Budgets.html>,
the cost of providing access to all the journal articles (not including
books and historical research materials) needed by a researcher has
risen by 300% above inflation
<http://uksg.metapress.com/content/9tvk4t7324388071/?genre=article&id=doi%3a10.1629%2f2048-7754.25.2.158>
since 1986.

While the humanities contribute in lower absolute terms to this figure
than scientists, we, as academics, are the primary cause of this as we
continue to publish in commercial venues (in order to satisfy conditions
of hiring, firing and assessment). This, in turn, legitimises the
extortion of our libraries who must hold a prestigious collection to
"compete". Were we to work to lower the billions of pounds of
shareholder profits
<http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/elsevier-2009-2-billion-profits-could.html>
built-in to serials subscriptions, perhaps through open access, research
libraries would have fewer justifications for selling our national
treasures.

--
Julia Bolton Holloway Mediatheca 'Fioretta Mazzei' 'English' Cemetery
P.le Donatello, 38 50132 FIRENZE ITALY