[BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia

From: "Prof. T.D. Wilson" <t.d.wilson AT sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 10:14:08 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com
      • This Message

--089e0117691597ddb304e59e81ea

This is probably not the place to debate the BOAI definition, but I think
there's a distinction to be made between the ND clause and "re-use".
The
ND clause in effect prevents someone from taking a work and incorporating
their own material to produce a new work, without permission, whereas
"re-use" could mean either the creation of a derivative work or
simply,
taking a work and re-presenting it in a new environment. I don't think the
ND clause would prevent Wikipedia, for example, taking a paper from
Information Research and presenting it as a supplement or appendix to an
article in the encyclopedia, and, given that Wikipedia is non-commercial,
the NC clause is not involved.

On 5 September 2013 09:06, Julia Bolton Holloway
<holloway.julia AT tiscali.it>wrote:

> We really need a keyboard copyleft symbol that we can use on documents
> and web pages.
> --
> Julia Bolton Holloway Mediatheca 'Fioretta Mazzei' 'English' Cemetery
> P.le Donatello, 38 50132 FIRENZE ITALY

Professor T.D. Wilson, PhD, PhD (h.c.)
Publisher and Editor in Chief: Information Research
http://informationr.net/ir/
E-mail: wilsontd AT gmail.com

--089e0117691597ddb304e59e81ea

BOAI definiti=
on, but I think there&#39;s a distinction to be made between the ND clause
=
and &quot;re-use&quot;.=A0 The ND clause in effect prevents someone
from ta=
king a work and incorporating their own material to produce a new work, wit=
hout permission,=A0whereas &quot;re-use&quot; could mean either the
creatio=
n of a derivative work or simply, taking a work and re-presenting it in a n=
ew environment. I don&#39;t think the ND clause would prevent Wikipedia,
fo=
r example, taking a paper from Information Research and presenting it as a =
supplement or appendix to an article in the encyclopedia, and, given that W=
ikipedia is non-commercial, the NC clause is not involved.</div>
class=3D"gmail_quote">On 5 Septembe=
r 2013 09:06, Julia Bolton Holloway <span
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
:holloway.julia AT tiscali.it"
target=3D"_blank">holloway.julia AT tiscali.it</a>=
&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
.8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">We really need a keyboard copyleft
symbol th=
at we can use on documents<br>
and web pages.<br>
color=3D"#888888">--<br>
Julia Bolton Holloway Mediatheca &#39;Fioretta Mazzei&#39;
&#39;English&#39=
; Cemetery<br>
P.le Donatello, 38 50132 FIRENZE ITALY<br>
class=3D"h5"><br>
--<br>
To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this page:<br>
<a
href=3D"http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum"
targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum</a=
>Professor T.D. Wilson, PhD, PhD (h.c.)<div>Publisher and Editor in
Chief: =
Information Research</div>
target=3D"_blank">http://infor=
href=3D"mailto:wilsontd AT gmail.com"=