[BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia

From: Daniel Mietchen <daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 01:19:30 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com
      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from holloway.julia AT tiscali.it
             [BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from holl AT konkoly.hu
             [BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from holloway.julia AT tiscali.it

Dear Tom,

linking out only to freely available content is certainly an option,
but the initiative that I was referring to has a slightly different
goal - it wants to signal to the readers and editors of Wikipedia
pages (starting with English) not just whether a given reference is
free to read but also whether it is free to reuse, or not.

To take the example of your journal Information Research, its CC
BY-NC-ND license would make it free to read but not free to reuse on
Wikipedia (where materials under -NC and -ND clauses are not
accepted).

I agree that WebCite is useful, and I would like to see it (or some
functional equivalent) used more often by scholarly publishers.

Best,

Daniel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Open_Access/Signalling_OA-ness

http://tools.wmflabs.org/glamtools/baglama.php?group=Open+access+%28publishing%29&date=201307