[BOAI] Re: Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia

From: "Prof. T.D. Wilson" <t.d.wilson AT sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 12:46:28 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] Signalling the openness of references cited on Wikipedia from daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com
      • This Message

--001a1133eaca838aec04e58c84ac

Hello Daniel,

I have the same issue in relation to references in the open acess e-journal
I publish (http://informationr.net/ir/). My solution is to provide links
only to open sources and also to ask authors to archive such sources to
WebCite - you'll see this in most of the papers in recent volumes on the
site.  Archiving to WebCite is absolutely essential, since the open sources
have limited lifetimes - one calculation suggests a half-life of only 2.5
years - arciving to WebCite means that the item should be available more or
less indefinitely, or at least as long as WebCite continues to function.

Kind regards,

Tom Wilson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Open_Access/Signalling_OA-ness

http://tools.wmflabs.org/glamtools/baglama.php?group=Open+access+%28publishing%29&date=201307
> .
> [5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Open_Access/Signalling_OA-ness

Professor T.D. Wilson, PhD, PhD (h.c.)
Publisher and Editor in Chief: Information Research
http://informationr.net/ir/
E-mail: wilsontd AT gmail.com

--001a1133eaca838aec04e58c84ac

 issue in relation to references in the open acess e-journal I publish (<a =
href=3D"http://informationr.net/ir/">http://informationr.net/ir/</a>). My s=
olution is to provide links only to open sources and also to ask authors to=
 archive such sources to WebCite - you&#39;ll see this in most of the
paper=
s in recent volumes on the site.=A0 Archiving to WebCite is absolutely esse=
ntial, since the open sources have limited lifetimes - one calculation sugg=
ests a half-life of only 2.5 years - arciving to WebCite means that the ite=
m should be available more or less indefinitely, or at least as long as Web=
Cite continues to function.</div>
Wilson</div></=
class=3D"gmail_quote">On 4 Sept=
ember 2013 00:15, Daniel Mietchen <span
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:d=
aniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com"
target=3D"_blank">daniel.mietchen AT googlemail=
.8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Dear all,<br>
your feedback is invited on a system to signal the openness of<br>
references cited on Wikipedia:<br>
<a
href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Open_Access/=
Signalling_OA-ness"
target=3D"_blank">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped=
ia:WikiProject_Open_Access/Signalling_OA-ness</a><br>
.<br>
Millions of references are being cited on Wikipedia, including on<br>
scholarly topics. [1]<br>
The citation typically contains a hyperlink to an online version of<br>
the cited resource, yet many of these are paywalled and thus not<br>
accessible to the vast majority of Wikipedia readers.<br>
So the above-mentioned proposal has been made to signal the OA-ness
of<br>
a cited reference. One of the expected effects of the scheme is to<br>
save readers the disappointing clicks on links leading them to<br>
paywalls. Considering that all Wikipedias combined get over 20
billion<br>
page views per month [2] and e.g. medical topics on the English<br>
Wikipedia still over 200 million views per month [3], there is a lot<br>
of potential to save clicks.<br>
Another possible effect is that the signaling of the availability of<br>
an OA version might entice some readers to actually click through to<br>
the reference when they otherwise would not, especially after having<br>
hit paywalls in previous attempts.<br>
Furthermore, such a system might signal to Wikipedia editors if they<br>
can use materials from a particular cited source, e.g. images or
video<br>
files. [4]<br>
Your thoughts on any of these or related issues would be greatly<br>
appreciated. The preferred channel for feedback would be the talk
page<br>
of that proposal [5].<br>
Thanks and cheers,<br>
Daniel<br>
for <a
href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Open_Acc=
ess"
target=3D"_blank">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_=
Open_Access</a><br>
[1] <a
href=3D"http://opensym.org/wsos2013/proceedings/p0203-ford.pdf" targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://opensym.org/wsos2013/proceedings/p0203-ford.pdf</a> fo=
und<br>
67,026,537 cited sources on the English Wikipedia as of May 2, 2012.<br>
[2] <a href=3D"http://reportcard.wmflabs.org/"
target=3D"_blank">http://rep=
ortcard.wmflabs.org/</a><br>
[3] <a href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:MED500"
target=3D"_b=
lank">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:MED500</a><br>
[4] For an overview of the extent to which images and other media
from<br>
OA sources are being used across Wikimedia projects, see<br>
<a
href=3D"http://tools.wmflabs.org/glamtools/baglama.php?group=3DOpen+acce=
ss+%28publishing%29&amp;date=3D201307"
target=3D"_blank">http://tools.wmfla=
bs.org/glamtools/baglama.php?group=3DOpen+access+%28publishing%29&amp;date=
=3D201307</a><br>

.<br>
[5] <a
href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Ope=
n_Access/Signalling_OA-ness"
target=3D"_blank">https://en.wikipedia.org/wik=
i/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Open_Access/Signalling_OA-ness</a><br>
--<br>
To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this page:<br>
<a
href=3D"http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum"
targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum</a=
clear=3D"all"><br>--
T=
.D. Wilson, PhD, PhD (h.c.)<div>Publisher and Editor in Chief:
Information =
Research</div>
target=3D"_blank">http://infor=
href=3D"mailto:wilsontd AT gmail.com"=