[BOAI] Dominique Babini on the state of Open Access: Where are we, what still needs to be done?

From: "Richard Poynder" <richard.poynder AT>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 09:23:13 +0100

Threading:      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: Dominique Babini on the state of Open Access: Where are we, what still needs to be done? from jean.claude.guedon AT

The ninth Q&A in a series exploring the current state of Open Access (OA)
has been published. On this occasion the questions are answered by Dominique
Babini, Open Access Advocacy leader at the Latin American Council on Social
Sciences (CLACSO). Based in Argentina, CLACSO is an academic network of 345
social science institutions, mainly in the universities of 21 of the
region's countries.

In inviting people to take part in this Q&A series I have been conscious
that much of the discussion about Open Access still tends to be dominated by
those based in the developed world; or at least developing world voices are
often drowned out by the excitable babble of agreement, disagreement, and
frequent stalemate, that characterises the Open Access debate.

It has therefore never been entirely clear to me how stakeholders in the
developing world view OA, and whether their views differ greatly from those
that have dominated the OA conversation since it began in around 1994. In
the hope of gaining a better understanding I plan to invite a number of
people based in the developing world to take part in this series.

To start the ball rolling I have published a Q&A with Dominique Babini, who
is based at the University of Buenos Aires. Readers will judge for
themselves how, and to what extent, Babini's views differ from those we hear
so often from those based in, say, North America or Europe.

The Q&A can be read here:

-- To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this page: