[BOAI] Fwd: Use of e-print request button

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum AT gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 08:59:45 -0400

--047d7b6245b026820c04e0225655

[This is an informed, positive testimonial about the e-print Request Button
on DSpace. Please also send information about implementing it on
Eprints<http://wiki.eprints.org/w/RequestEprint>,
where it originated.]

From: Michael White University of Stirling
Date: Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 5:25 AM
To: JISC-REPOSITORIES AT jiscmail.ac.uk

Apologies for the delay replying =96 but I=92m not sure if you got any othe=
replies, so thought I=92d chip in with my experiences of using =93Request a
copy=94 with DSpace (it looks like you are using DSpace, although we are
still using the JSPUI not the XMLUI).

** **

We implemented the DSpace =93Embargo=94 and =93Request a copy=94 add-ons ba=
ck in
their earliest days (around 2007) when we introduced our Institutional
Policy that required immediate deposit of full text of Journal Articles to
the repository on acceptance =96 obviously, due to Publisher embargoes, it
isn=92t really possible for a policy like that to be successful without a
method to handle embargoes/copy requests . . .****

** **

As we have upgraded through the versions of DSpace, I have simply tweaked
our existing implementation of the Request a copy add-on to make it work in
the latest version (a process I have just completed for v3.1 this week!) =
=96
i.e. we are still running our own, locally customised version of the
original version of the =93Request a copy=94 add-on, so I can=92t comment o=
n the
later releases of this add-on. I do know though, from a discussion just
this week on the DSpace Tech email list, that colleagues at a Spanish
institution are just putting the finishing touches to a release of the
latest version of this add-on for the XMLUI interface . . . .****

** **

Of course, DSpace handles =93Embargoes=94 out of the box now (in a differen=
way to the original add-on we installed), so I=92ve had to extend the Reque=
st
a copy add-on to be able to deal with Embargoes implemented using the 2
different methods. Personally I believe that =93Request a copy=94 is the ot=
her
side of the Embargo coin, so I for one would really love to see the
=93Request a copy=94 functionality become part of the DSpace core at some p=
oint
in the (not too distant!) future J****

** **

Another issue that we had to address pretty quickly with the DSpace add-on
is that, by default, it sends the email request to the original submitter
of the item =96 even since our earliest days, in many cases, articles were
deposited by departmental admins or other delegated =93proxy-depositors=94 =
on
behalf of academics, which meant the eprint requests were going to the
=93wrong=94 person =96 the email does include a note to say that only an au=
thor
of the original article can respond to the request so the request should be
forwarded on but this was far from ideal. So I added a new metadata field
to hold a =93Contact Email Address=94 on a Publication record and extended =
the
add-on to use this address if the Publication record had one, or use the
submitter=92s email if not =96 this has the added benefit that, if a member=
 of
staff leaves, we can simply update the =93Contact Email Address=94 on their
Publication records, and they will continue to get eprint requests =96 this
is also very useful for embargoed PhDs (we have an eTheses mandate too), as
Research Students have to submit using their University login (we have
authentication linked to Active Directory which picks up their University
email address), but Research Students usually leave just after submission,
so it is great to be able to add an external email address in the =93Contac=
email=94 filed so that they can receive requests after they have left.****

** **

Also, I removed the facility for the =93request responder=94 to submit a
request to have the item=92s embargo removed, as embargo removal is handled
automatically by the system.****

** **

Finally, we have recently integrated our Repository with our Research
Management System, so submission of all Publication data (including
=93Contact Email=94) is now via the RMS, and, when full text is attached, t=
his
is automatically pushed across to the Repository (subject to Workflow,
policy checking, embargo setting, etc all carried out in RMS) =96 this mean=
that all publications in our repository are now submitted by our RMS =96
therefore, without the ability to send eprint requests to the Contact Email
in the metadata, all the eprint requests would be directed to the RMS=92s
DSpace account!****

** **

This RMS integration has caused one issue =96 updates to records in RMS
automatically update the corresponding record in DSpace. Unfortunately the
RMS updates by removing the original record and adding a new record with
the same handle =96 for normal end users, they don=92t see a difference, bu=
the removal and addition results in the associated full text getting a new
bitstream ID in the system. However the Request a copy feature uses the
bitstream ID to note what has been requested and what should be sent if the
request is responded to =96 so if an item is updated between being requeste=
and that request being responded to, the bitstream ID of the associated
full text has changed, and the attempt to respond to the request fails =96
this generates an Internal Server Error, and I get an email, so I know that
it has happened, and, from the token in the request email, I can reverse
engineer what was requested and =93fix it=94, but it is a bit of a nuisance=
 =96
fortunately it doesn=92t happen very often now that things are settling dow=
in our RMS.****

** **

I can=92t really comment on time savings for academics, but I know our
academics are very happy with the service and it provides an easy mechanism
for them to respond to eprint requests (and I=92m assuming it involves less
clicking and hunting around than responding to =93traditional=94 reprint
requests) . . .****

** **

Bottom line, I heartily recommend this add-on and believe we could not run
our repository without the functionality it provides! J****

** **

I hope that is helpful and of interest.****

** **