[BOAI] Re: a question on the nature of this group

From: Dominique Babini <dasbabini AT gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 09:22:45 -0300

Threading: [BOAI] a question on the nature of this group from carolina.rossini AT gmail.com
      • This Message

--047d7b2e47f498bd2004dfbd3c3f

Dear OA friends,

Greetings from Buenos Aires,

Sorry for the late reaction, due to deadlines this month in the
implementations, together with UNESCO, of recommendations from our group re=
port
after the first UNESCO regional consultation on OA in Latin America and the
Caribbean.<http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/CI/CI/pdf/news=
/report_open_access_en.pdf>In
the report some topics of this discussion are considered.

Thank you Carolina for raising the issue on how to advance OA in Latin
America in this BOAI Forum list.  And thank you Jean-Claude, who in the
North is the most active supporter of the way we, in Latin America and the
Caribbean, are building gold OA in the past 15 years (with
SciELO<http://www.scielo.org/php/index.php?lang=3Den>,
Redalyc <http://www.redalyc.org/home.oa>,
Latindex<http://www.latindex.unam.mx/>and extensive use of
OJS/PKP <http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs-geog> in university journal collections)
and
more recently green OA (with a growing collection of institutional
repositories, and now La Referencia
<http://lareferencia.redclara.net/rfr/>-sponsored by
RedCLARA-, <http://www.redclara.net/index.php?lang=3Den> a regional
agreeme=
nt
among 9 national systems of S&T digital repositories), in a region where
research is mainly government-funded, and OA is well-grounded.

As Saray mentions, our OA mailing list is LLAAR, and has 353 members in the
list <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/LLAAR>, and 534
members in Facebook-LLAAR
<http://www.facebook.com/groups/184675074889032/>=
,
both initiatives started by Paola Bongiovani and Nancy Gomez (from
Argentina)

I am now updating the OA LAC region/country profiles I have prepared two
years ago for the UNESCO-GOAP Global Open Access
Portal<http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/portals-a=
nd-platforms/goap/access-by-region/latin-america-and-the-caribbean/>.
UNESCO promised to include OA contact people in the updated version of
GOAP, and each contact will propose updates for GOAP.  Considering
Carolina=B4s question =93if the members of this list could play a more acti=
ve
role in supporting regional policy initiatives=94, my perception is that ou=
region is one of the most advanced in OA initiatives, but there is a need
for OA policy advocacy, and advocacy for developing our own regional OA
indicators, within:

1. *The science parliamentary commissions* (OA national legislation is
under discussion in Congress in
Brazil<http://kuramoto.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/pls387_2011.pdf>since
2007 and reentered in 2011,
Argentina<http://www1.hcdn.gov.ar/proyxml/expediente.asp?fundamentos=3Dsi&n=
umexp=3D1927-D-2011>since
2011 and
M=E9xico<http://www.senado.gob.mx/sgsp/gaceta/62/1/2013-03-14-1/assets/docu=
mentos/Ini_Herrera_Anzaldo-CyT_LGE.pdf>2013),
in all cases requiring OA to government-funded research in OA
digital repositories.  Approved in
Per=FA<http://www2.congreso.gob.pe/sicr/comisiones/2012/com2012ciencia.nsf/=
0/cb7c863ded37261e05257b3b007c029c/$FILE/1188_Sustitutoria_27MAR2013.pdf>(2=
013)

2. At regional meetings of *science ministers, education ministers, science
council=B4s authorities* (a first step: science council=B4s authorities are
members of the Global Research Council that has recently issued its OA
Action Plan<http://www.dfg.de/download/pdf/dfg_magazin/internationales/1305=
28_grc_annual_meeting/grc_action_plan_open_access.pdf>)
and also at university
authorities<http://www.unesco.org.ve/index.php?option=3Dcom_content&view=3D=
article&id=3D3203%3Ael-iesalc-llevara-a-cabo-el-v-encuentro-de-redes-univer=
sitarias-y-consejos-de-rectores-de-america-latina-y-el-caribe&catid=3D100%3=
Aen-portada&Itemid=3D449&lang=3Des>meetings.
**

3. At science/education/parliamentary integration meetings of the* regional
political and economic agreements organizations* (ex.
MERCOSUR<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercosur>,
UNASUR <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_South_American_Nations>,
Ande=
an
Community <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andean_Community>, Pacific
Alliance<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Alliance>),
And  BRICS <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRICS> for South-South
cooperation
on OA issues.

We have an OA declaration issued in
LAC<http://www.icml9.org/channel.php?lang=3Des&channel=3D87&content=3D437>(=
Salvador
de Bah=EDa, 2005), sponsored by SciELO, which is not so famous as
the other OA international declarations, but  it stated that =93Developing
countries have pioneering initiatives that promote "Open Access" and,
therefore, should play an important role in shaping the =B4Open Access=B4
worldwide=94.   I completely agree.

As Saray, Dave, Carolina and Sueli mention, dialogue may continue at
BIREDIAL <http://biredial2013.ucr.ac.cr/index.php/Biredial2013/ai> (Costa
Rica, Octobrer 15-17), PKP-UNAM <http://pkp.sfu.ca/pkp2013> (M=E9xico,
Augu=
st
19-21), CONFOA
<http://www.acessoaberto.pt/c/index.php/confoa2013/2013>(USP=
,
Brazil, 6-9 October) and CC
Global Summit <http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Global_Summit_2013>
(Buenos
Aires, 21-24 August) Conferences

Abrazos,

Dominique

Dra. Dominique Babini
* Latin America Council on Social Sciences-CLACSO/Open Access Program
Coordinator
* University of Buenos Aires-IIGG/Open access scholarly communications
researcher
* UNESCO-GOAP Global Open Access Portal/Latin America Contributor
* International Social Science Council-ISSC/ Editor Open Access Web
Resources

Publications<http://eprints.rclis.org/view/creators/Babini=3D3ADominique=3D=
3A=3D3A.html>

Mail: dasbabini AT gmail.com
Skype: dominique.babini
Twitter:   AT dominiquebabini

CLACSO - Estados Unidos 1168 (C1101AAX) Buenos Aires, Argentina
Tel.: (54-11) 4304-9145/9505  Fax: (54-11) 4305-0875
www.clacso.org

2013/6/17 Sueli Mara Soares Pinto Ferreira <sueli.ferreira AT
dt.sibi.usp.br>

> Dear all
>

> The Confoa 2013 will be in my university and I am the coordinator, then I
> will be more then happy to organize a meeting to talk about some projects
> or strategies, as proposed by Jean Claude Guedon and Carolina.
>
> Please, let me know what I can do about that, who will be here and should
> be invited to this discussion and so on.
>
> Saray, it is very nice to know that you will participate in the CONFOA
> 2013, thanks.
>
> I am sending the CONFOA 2013 URL again, then you can confirm the period -
> October 6th to 9th, 2013 at University of S=E3o Paulo. I am sorry the sit=
e is
> in Portuguese, but I can help who needs any information, ok?
> http://www.acessoaberto.pt/c/index.php/confoa2013/2013
>
> Best regards
>

> Sueli Mara Ferreira
>
> Enviado via iPhone
>
> Em 16/06/2013, =E0s 19:19, Saray C=F3rdoba <saraycg AT gmail.com>
escreveu:

> I also be there, it will be a good chance to discuss about this theme.
> Best regards,
>
> Saray C=F3rdoba Gonz=E1lez
>
> El 16/06/2013, a las 08:17, Carolina <carolina.rossini AT gmail.com>
> escribi=F3:
>
> We will also have the CONFOA conference in Brazil in October this year.
> That could be a great opportunity too, and give us more time to prepare a=
nd
> identify the right people.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 15, 2013, at 2:59 PM, David Solomon <dsolomon AT msu.edu>
wrote:

> The PKP Conference in Mexico City this August might be a forum to start
> the process.
>
> http://pkp.sfu.ca/pkp2013
>
> I expect a lot of like-minded people will be attending, I believe
> including you Jean-Claude. I hesitate to speak up as I am not from Latin
> America nor speak much Spanish but will be attending the conference and
> happy to help in any way I can.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Dave Solomon
>

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Jean-Claude Gu=E9don <
> jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
>> **
>> What Carolina asks for makes a great deal of sense, but is this not
what
>> CLACSO is already doing? What is needed, perhaps, is a source of
funding
>> for a year or two to give CLACSO the elbow room needed to pursue this
go=
al.
>> It is really a question of aggregating what is already on the ground.
An=
>> the best ways to do this, beyond a CLACSO-like entity to manage the
>> operation, is to build a trustworthy network of people on the ground.
Th=
ese
>> people can be identified rather quickly in many LA countries. Making
the=
se
>> people meet somewhere in Latin America for a few days would be a
wonderf=
ul
>> way to kick things off. A foundation could fund this for less than a
>> 100,000 dollars. There, they could share experiences and best
practices,
>> and they could design a collective strategy to achieve the goal just
>> pointed out by Carolina. But a lot has been done already and it would
be=
>> pity to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>> Just my two cents' worth.
>>
>> jc
>>
>> Le vendredi 14 juin 2013 =E0 22:30 -0400, Carolina Rossini a =E9crit :
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Creo que la primeira cosa a hacer, es mapear mejor lo que pasa en la
>> region y ahi desarrollar una estategia para politica pubica que se
pueda
>> llevar a cabo localmente.
>>
>> Que les parece? Hay candidatos voluntarios a hacer eso? Yo puedo
>> desarrolar un formulario y ahi la gente los responde. Algo lo mas
sensil=
lo
>> posible, pero ai podremos pensar conjuntamente lo que puede avanzar en
O=
>> en latin america y saber como la gente como Jean Claude y otros del
"nor=
te"
>> pueden ayudarnos
>>
>> Yo termine hace poco un relatorio para SPARC/ARL con foco en Brasil.
Est=
>> largo, pues tambien cubre open educational resources y open scientific
>> data. Pero podemos hacer algo solo focado en OA.
>>
>> Hay gente de cuales paises aca?
>>
>> Carolina
>>
>>  On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Gabriela Ort=FAzar <gortuzar AT
u.uchile=
.cl>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Dear all,
>>

>>   I agree with Jean Claude on the need to advance through stages in
>> creating a basis of a OA scientific pole in Latin America.
>>
>> Universities have led several initiatives: optimization of academic
>> journals, implementing Creative Commons, developing institutional
>> repositories, etc..
>> No doubt that SciELO, Redalyc, Latindex, PKP (with OJS & OMP)
have also
>> contributed to this development.
>>
>> Some interesting results that I share with you:
>>
>>   Latin American Repositories Network
>>
>>   http://www.repositorioslatinoamericanos.info/
>>
>>   developed by the University of Chile and provides simultaneous
access
>> to 65 repositories, from 16 countries.
>>
>> Latin America Thesis Portal
>> http://tesislatinoamericanas.info/
>>
>>   Simultaneous access to 40 universities.
>>

>>   Electronic journals (with OJS / PKP)
>> http://www.revistas.uchile.cl/
>>

>>   Electronic books (OMP / PKP)
>>
>>   http://libros.uchile.cl/
>>

>>   The south also exists !
>>

>>   -------------------------------------------------
>>
>>   Gabriela Ort=FAzar
>>
>>   Director
>>
>>   Information Services & Library System
>>
>>   Universidad de Chile
>> Tel 56-29782584
>>
>>   http://www.uchile.cl
>>
>>   http://m.uchile.cl (m=F3vil)
>>

>>   El 14-06-2013, a las 9:34, Jean-Claude Gu=E9don <
>> jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca> escribi=F3:
>>

>>    Me parece muy bien,
>>
>> pero...
>>
>> It is important to remember that perfection can be the enemy of good.
>> What is really needed is a road map of steps that could start
low-hangin=
>> fruits and move forward from there. Objectives do not need to be
horizon=
s;
>> they can be plateaus that allow launching the next stage of
operations.

>> This said, in terms of innovations, latin America clearly leads the
way.
>> Look at the Peruvian law regarding a national repository that emerged
ve=
ry
>> recently. Argentina has already moved on this. Etc. etc.
>>
>> What is going to be crucial in the near future is that a large
majority
>> of journals in Latin America are located within universities. Thanks
>> projects like OJS, they are fast professionalizing. Lists such as
Latind=
ex,
>> and platforms such as RedALyC and SciELO, by providing clear criteria
of
>> quality are accelerating the process. Discussions are going on to
explor=
>> the possibility of creating LA mega-journals and La Referencia, based
on
>> Redclara, offers the beginning of a network of repositories. These
large
>> collections of journals (6,000 at least are vetted in Latindex) can
form
>> the basis for an autonomous scientific pole that will engage as a
region=
al
>> publication in the "grand conversation" of science as a
counterweight to
>> the present publishing oligarchy. India, China, Africa and South-East
As=
ia
>> can imagine developing similar publication poles. When that is done,
>> science will have achieved a healthy form of internationalization.
>>
>> In short, Latin America is on the verge of reclaiming the right and
powe=
>> to create value over its own publications, and not rely on such
perverse
>> tools as the impact factor, etc. Other regions of the world will have
>> wonderful model to follow.
>>
>> There is one big obstacle to remove, however, in Latin America: it is
th=
>> very fascination for the impact factor in some institutional sectors
of
>> Latin America. SciELO is an example of this. But the science councils
th=
at
>> are also the funding agencies do the same. In some countries (e.g.
>> Colombia), some universities even offer financial incentives for
people =
>> publish in "international" journals (i.e. journals that have
garnered hi=
gh
>> IF's in Thomson-Reuters' JCR).
>>
>> It might be a good idea to create a site to document such practices in
>> order to compare them, and criticize them as silly and
counterproductive=
.

>> Jean-Claude
>>
>> Le vendredi 14 juin 2013 =E0 07:42 -0400, Carolina a =E9crit :
>>
>>    This is true, but if you go deeper, our universities still do not
>> have OA policies and a lot of Unesco and our governments call OA are
>> actually just free access (public access)...
>>
>>     So my question is: should we move a step forward to guarantee that
>> all that is paid with public funding is OA under the Budapest
declaratio=
n,
>> which means licensed under a CC-by license ?
>> Que les parece?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Jun 13, 2013, at 11:35 PM, Saray C=F3rdoba <saraycg AT
gmail.com> wrote:

>>  Dear all,
>> Latin America is a open access region because open access movement is
>> stronger than other regions in the world. Here you have the Unesco's
Goa=

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/portals-and-p=
latforms/goap/access-by-region/latin-america-and-the-caribbean/ which
>> describes the OA situation from different facets.
>>

>> We have the LLAAR forum where someone translates to Spanish the BOAI
>> Forum news: https://www.facebook.com/groups/184675074889032/. Latindex
>> (1997), Redalyc and SciELO (1998) are pioneers. Before there was
talked
>> about open access in the world (2001) these already existed.
>>

>> Thanks to Carolina, Jean Claude and others that remind us that
"the sout=
>> also exists" and this BOAI Forum is the best site to discuss
about open
>> access and to support the local and regional development.
>>

>> We invite you to our Conference Biredial 2013, that will be held in
Cost=
>> Rica on next October 15-17th. For more information visit:

http://www.biredial2013.ucr.ac.cr/<http://www.biredial2013.ucr.ac.cr/ind=
ex.php/Biredial2013/ai>

>> Best wishes
>> Saray
>>
>> 2013/6/13 Fran=E7oise Salager-Meyer <francoise.sm AT gmail.com>
>>
>> Regarding the coverage of Latin American journals (SciELO) in the web
of
>> science, here are 2 interesting papers. The first one is entitled
"Latin
>> American Scientific Journals: from "Lost Science" to Open
Access.

http://www.mexicanistas.eu/uploads/documents/Latin%20American%20Scientif=
ic%20Journals,%20ponencia,%20Sanchez%20Pereira.pdf

p://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)61600<htt=
p://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2812%2961600>-6=
/fulltext

>> Fran=E7oise Salager-Meyer
>>

>>  ***
>> Greetings from Vancouver
>>
>> Interestingly enough, at least from the perspective of an earth
sciences
>> librarian, it appears that some journals that
>> are in Latindex are also indexed in Web of Science and GeoRef.
>>
>> For example,

--047d7b2e47f498bd2004dfbd3c3f

lang=3D"EN-US">Dear OA
friends,</span></p>

from Buenos Aires,</span></p>

the late reaction, due to deadlines this month in the implementations, toge=
ther
with UNESCO, of recommendations from our group <a
href=3D"http://www.unesco=
.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/CI/CI/pdf/news/report_open_access_en.pdf">=
report
after the first UNESCO regional consultation on OA in Latin America and the
Caribbean.</a> In the report some topics of this discussion are
considered.=

Carolina for raising the issue on </span><span
lang=3D"EN-US" style=3D"font=
-size:10pt;line-height:115%;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">how to
advance OA=
 in Latin America in
this BOAI Forum list. =A0And thank you
Jean-Claude, who in the North is the most active supporter of the way we, i=
Latin America and the Caribbean, are building gold OA in the past 15 years
(with <a
href=3D"http://www.scielo.org/php/index.php?lang=3Den">SciELO</a>,=
www.latindex.unam.mx/">Latindex</a> and extensive use of <a
href=3D"http://=
pkp.sfu.ca/ojs-geog">OJS/PKP</a> in university journal
collections)
and more recently green OA (with a growing collection of institutional
repositories, and now <a
href=3D"http://lareferencia.redclara.net/rfr/"><sp=
an style=3D"text-decoration:none">La
Referencia</span></a> -sponsored
by <a
href=3D"http://www.redclara.net/index.php?lang=3Den">RedCLARA-,</a> a
regional agreement among 9 national systems of S&amp;T digital
repositories=
),
in a region where research is mainly government-funded, and OA is
well-grounded.=A0 </span></p>

style=3D"font-size:10pt;line-height:115%=
;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">As Saray mentions, our OA mailing list
is LL=
AAR, and has 353 members in
the <a
href=3D"https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/LLAAR">li=
st</a>,
and 534 members in <a
href=3D"http://www.facebook.com/groups/18467507488903=
2/">Facebook-LLAAR</a>,
both initiatives started by Paola Bongiovani and Nancy Gomez (from Argentin=
a)</span></p>

style=3D"font-size:10pt;line-height:115%=
;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">I am now updating the OA LAC
region/country =
profiles I have prepared two
years ago for the <a
href=3D"http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and=
-information/portals-and-platforms/goap/access-by-region/latin-america-and-=
the-caribbean/">UNESCO-GOAP
Global Open Access Portal</a>. UNESCO promised to include OA contact
people=
 in
the updated version of GOAP, and each contact will propose updates for GOAP=
.=A0 Considering Carolina=B4s question =93if the
members of this list could play a more active role in supporting regional
policy initiatives=94, my perception is that our region is one of the most
advanced in OA initiatives, but there
is a need for OA policy advocacy, and advocacy for developing our own regio=
nal
OA indicators, within:</span></p>

style=3D"font-size:10pt;line-height:115%=
;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">1. <b>The science parliamentary
commissions</b> (OA national legislation is under discussion in Congress
in=
 <a
href=3D"http://kuramoto.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/pls387_2011.pdf">Br=
azil</a>
since 2007 and reentered in 2011, <a
href=3D"http://www1.hcdn.gov.ar/proyxm=
l/expediente.asp?fundamentos=3Dsi&amp;numexp=3D1927-D-2011">Argentina</a>
since 2011 and <a
href=3D"http://www.senado.gob.mx/sgsp/gaceta/62/1/2013-03=
-14-1/assets/documentos/Ini_Herrera_Anzaldo-CyT_LGE.pdf">M=E9xico</a>
2013), in all cases requiring OA to government-funded research in OA digita=
repositories.=A0 Approved in <a
href=3D"http://www2.congreso.gob.pe/sicr/co=
misiones/2012/com2012ciencia.nsf/0/cb7c863ded37261e05257b3b007c029c/$FILE/1=
188_Sustitutoria_27MAR2013.pdf">Per=FA</a>
(2013)</span></p>

style=3D"font-size:10pt;line-height:115%=
;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">2. At regional meetings of
<b>science
ministers, education ministers, science council=B4s authorities</b> (a
firs=
step: science council=B4s authorities are members of the Global Research Co=
uncil
that has recently issued its <a
href=3D"http://www.dfg.de/download/pdf/dfg_=
magazin/internationales/130528_grc_annual_meeting/grc_action_plan_open_acce=
ss.pdf">OA
Action Plan</a>) and also at <a
href=3D"http://www.unesco.org.ve/index.php?=
option=3Dcom_content&amp;view=3Darticle&amp;id=3D3203%3Ael-iesalc-llevara-a=
-cabo-el-v-encuentro-de-redes-universitarias-y-consejos-de-rectores-de-amer=
ica-latina-y-el-caribe&amp;catid=3D100%3Aen-portada&amp;Itemid=3D449&amp;la=
ng=3Des">university

style=3D"font-size:10pt;line-height:115%=
;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">3. At science/education/parliamentary
integr=
ation meetings of the<b>
regional political and economic agreements organizations</b> (ex. <a
href=
=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercosur">MERCOSUR</a>,
/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_South_American_Nations">UNASUR</a>,
<a
href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andean_Community">Andean
Community=
</a>, <a
href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Alliance">Pacific
Al=
liance</a>),
And=A0 <a
href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRICS">BRICS</a> for
South-S=
outh cooperation
on OA issues.</span></p>

style=3D"font-size:10pt;line-height:115%=
;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">We have an <a
href=3D"http://www.icml9.org/c=
hannel.php?lang=3Des&amp;channel=3D87&amp;content=3D437">OA
declaration issued in LAC</a> (Salvador de Bah=EDa, 2005), sponsored by
Sci=
ELO, which
is not so famous as the other OA international declarations, but =A0it stat=
ed that =93Developing countries have
pioneering initiatives that promote &quot;Open Access&quot; and,
therefore,
should play an important role in shaping the =B4Open Access=B4 worldwide=94=
.=A0 =A0</span><span
style=3D"font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;l=
ine-height:115%">I completely agree.</span><span
style=3D"font-family:Arial=
,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;line-height:115%">=A0=A0</span></p>
style=3D"font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;li=
ne-height:115%">As Saray,
Dave, Carolina and Sueli mention, dialogue may continue at </span><a
href=
=3D"http://biredial2013.ucr.ac.cr/index.php/Biredial2013/ai"
style=3D"font-=
family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;line-height:115%">BIREDIAL</a><span =
style=3D"font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;line-height:115%">
(Costa Rica, Octobrer 15-17), </span><a
href=3D"http://pkp.sfu.ca/pkp2013" =
style=3D"font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;line-height:115%">PKP-=
UNAM</a><span
style=3D"font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;line-hei=
ght:115%">
(M=E9xico, August 19-21), </span><a
href=3D"http://www.acessoaberto.pt/c/in=
dex.php/confoa2013/2013"
style=3D"font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:10=
pt;line-height:115%">CONFOA</a><span
style=3D"font-family:Arial,sans-serif;=
font-size:10pt;line-height:115%"> (USP,
Brazil, 6-9 October) and </span><a
href=3D"http://wiki.creativecommons.org/=
Global_Summit_2013"
style=3D"font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;li=
ne-height:115%">CC Global Summit</a><span
style=3D"font-family:Arial,sans-s=
erif;font-size:10pt;line-height:115%">
(Buenos Aires, 21-24 August) Conferences</span></p>

style=3D"font-size:10pt;line-height:115%=
;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Abrazos,</span></p>

style=3D"font-size:10pt;line-height:115%=
;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Dominique</span></p>

style=3D"font-size:10pt;line-height:115%=
;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">=A0</span></p>

lang=3D"EN-US">=A0</span></p>

style=3D"margin-bottom:0.0001pt"><span lang=3D"EN-US"
style=
=3D"font-size:8pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Dra. Dominique
Babini</span><span lang=3D"EN-US"
style=3D"font-size:8pt;font-family:Arial,=
sans-serif"><br>
* Latin America Council on Social Sciences-CLACSO/Open Access Program
Coordinator<br>
* University of Buenos Aires-IIGG/Open access scholarly communications
researcher<br>
* UNESCO-GOAP Global Open Access Portal/Latin America Contributor<br>
* International Social Science Council-ISSC/ Editor Open Access Web Resourc=
es</span></p>

style=3D"margin-bottom:0.0001pt"><span
style=3D"font-size:8pt=
"><a
href=3D"http://eprints.rclis.org/view/creators/Babini=3D3ADominique=3D=
3A=3D3A.html"><span lang=3D"EN-US"
style=3D"font-family:Arial,sans-serif">P=
lang=3D"EN-US" style=3D"font-size:8pt;fo=
nt-family:Arial,sans-serif"></span></p>

style=3D"margin-bottom:0.0001pt"><span lang=3D"EN-US"
style=
=3D"font-size:8pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Mail: <a
href=3D"mailto:das=
babini AT gmail.com">dasbabini AT gmail.com</a><br>
Skype: dominique.babini<br>
Twitter: =A0 AT dominiquebabini</span></p>

style=3D"font-size:8pt;fon=
t-family:Arial,sans-serif"><br>
CLACSO - Estados Unidos 1168 (C1101AAX) Buenos Aires, Argentina<br>
Tel.: (54-11) 4304-9145/9505 =A0Fax: (54-11) 4305-0875<br>
href=3D"http://www.clacso.org/" tar=
get=3D"_blank"><span
style=3D"font-family:Arial,sans-serif">www.clacso.org<=
/span></a></span><span
style=3D"font-size:8pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif"=

style=3D"font-size:8pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif"></span></=
p>

class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><br><div class=3D=
"gmail_quote">2013/6/17 Sueli Mara Soares Pinto Ferreira <span
dir=3D"ltr">=
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sueli.ferreira AT dt.sibi.usp.br"
target=3D"_blank">suel=
.8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div
class=3D"HOEnZb"><div class=3D"h5"><div=
 dir=3D"auto"><div><br>Dear
 2013 will be in my university and I am the coordinator, then I will be mor=
e then happy to organize a meeting to talk about some projects or strategie=
s, as proposed by Jean Claude Guedon and Carolina.<br>

shou=
ld be invited to this discussion and so on.<br><br>Saray, it is
very nice t=
o know that you will participate in the CONFOA 2013,
thanks.<br><br>I am se=
nding the CONFOA 2013 URL again, then you can confirm the period - October =
6th to 9th, 2013 at University of S=E3o Paulo. I am sorry the site is in Po=
rtuguese, but I can help who needs any information, ok?<br>

target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.acessoaberto.pt/c/index.php/confoa2013/2013</a><br>=
Ferreira<br><br>Enviado via iPhon=
e</div>
href=3D"mailto:s=
araycg AT gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">saraycg AT
gmail.com</a>&gt; escreveu:<br>
o be there, it will be a good chance to discuss about this
theme.=A0</div><=
div>Best regards,=A0<br><br>Saray C=F3rdoba
16/06/2013, a las 08:17, Carolina &lt;<a
href=3D"mailto:carolina.rossini AT gm=
ail.com" target=3D"_blank">carolina.rossini AT
gmail.com</a>&gt; escribi=F3:<b=
r>

type=3D"cite"><div><div>We will also have the CONFOA =
conference in Brazil in October this year. That could be a great opportunit=
y too, and give us more time to prepare and identify the right
people.<br>

at 2:59 PM, David So=
lomon &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dsolomon AT msu.edu"
target=3D"_blank">dsolomon AT ms=
type=3D"cite"><div><div dir=
=3D"ltr">

The PKP Conference in Mexico City this August might be a forum to start the=
href=3D"http://pkp.sfu.ca/pkp2013" targe=
xpect a lot of like-minded people will be attending, I believe including yo=
u Jean-Claude. I hesitate to speak up as I am not from Latin America nor sp=
eak much Spanish but will be attending the conference and happy to help in =
any way I can.=A0<div>

Solomon</div></di=
v></div><div
class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><br><div
class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sa=
t, Jun 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Jean-Claude Gu=E9don <span
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a h=
ref=3D"mailto:jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca"
target=3D"_blank">jean.claud=

.8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

 =20
 =20

What Carolina asks for makes a great deal of sense, but is this not what CL=
ACSO is already doing? What is needed, perhaps, is a source of funding for =
a year or two to give CLACSO the elbow room needed to pursue this goal. It =
is really a question of aggregating what is already on the ground. And the =
best ways to do this, beyond a CLACSO-like entity to manage the operation, =
is to build a trustworthy network of people on the ground. These people can=
 be identified rather quickly in many LA countries. Making these people mee=
t somewhere in Latin America for a few days would be a wonderful way to kic=
k things off. A foundation could fund this for less than a 100,000 dollars.=
 There, they could share experiences and best practices, and they could des=
ign a collective strategy to achieve the goal just pointed out by Carolina.=
 But a lot has been done already and it would be a pity to reinvent the whe=
el.<br>

Just my two cents&#39; worth.<br>
jc<br>
Le vendredi 14 juin 2013 =E0 22:30 -0400, Carolina Rossini a =E9crit
:<br>
    Dear all,<br>
    Creo que la primeira cosa a hacer, es mapear mejor lo que pasa en la re=
gion y ahi desarrollar una estategia para politica pubica que se pueda llev=
ar a cabo localmente. <br>
    Que les parece? Hay candidatos voluntarios a hacer eso? Yo puedo desarr=
olar un formulario y ahi la gente los responde. Algo lo mas sensillo posibl=
e, pero ai podremos pensar conjuntamente lo que puede avanzar en OA en lati=
n america y saber como la gente como Jean Claude y otros del
&quot;norte&qu=
ot; pueden ayudarnos<br>

    Yo termine hace poco un relatorio para SPARC/ARL con foco en Brasil. Es=
ta largo, pues tambien cubre open educational resources y open scientific d=
ata. Pero podemos hacer algo solo focado en OA. <br>
    Hay gente de cuales paises aca?<br>
    Carolina<br>
    On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Gabriela Ort=FAzar &lt;<a
href=3D"mai=
lto:gortuzar AT u.uchile.cl" target=3D"_blank">gortuzar AT
u.uchile.cl</a>&gt; wr=
ote:
        Dear all,
        I agree with Jean Claude on the need to advance through stages in c=
reating a basis of a OA scientific pole in Latin America.<br>
        Universities have led several initiatives:=A0optimization of academ=
ic journals, implementing=A0Creative Commons, developing institutional repo=
sitories, etc..<br>
        No doubt that SciELO, Redalyc, Latindex, PKP (with OJS &amp; OMP) =
=A0have also contributed to this development.<br>
        Some interesting results that I share with you:<br>
        Latin American Repositories Network=A0
target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.repositorioslatinoamericanos.info/</a>
        developed by the University of Chile and provides simultaneous acce=
ss to 65 repositories, from 16 countries.<br>
        Latin America Thesis Portal<br>
target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://tesislatinoamericanas.info/</a>
        Simultaneous access to 40 universities.
        Electronic journals (with OJS / PKP)<br>
target=3D"_blank">http:/=
/www.revistas.uchile.cl/</a>
        Electronic books (OMP / PKP)
target=3D"_blank">http://libro=
s.uchile.cl/</a>
        The south also exists !
color=3D"#005493">-------------------------------------------=
------</font>
        Gabriela Ort=FAzar
        Director
        Information Services &amp; Library System
        Universidad de Chile<br>
        Tel <a href=3D"tel:56-29782584"
target=3D"_blank">56-29782584</a><b=
r>
href=3D"http://www.uchile.cl" target=3D"=
_blank">http://www.uchile.cl</a></font>
target=3D"_blank">http://m.uchile.cl=
</a> (m=F3vil)
        El 14-06-2013, a las 9:34, Jean-Claude Gu=E9don &lt;<a
href=3D"mail=
to:jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca"
target=3D"_blank">jean.claude.guedon AT um=
ontreal.ca</a>&gt; escribi=F3:
            Me parece muy bien,<br>
            pero...<br>
            It is important to remember that perfection can be the enemy of=
 good. What is really needed is a road map of steps that could start low-ha=
nging fruits and move forward from there. Objectives do not need to be hori=
zons; they can be plateaus that allow launching the next stage of operation=
s.<br>

            This said, in terms of innovations, latin America clearly leads=
 the way. Look at the Peruvian law regarding a national repository that eme=
rged very recently. Argentina has already moved on this. Etc. etc.<br>

            What is going to be crucial in the near future is that a large =
majority of journals in Latin America are located within universities. Than=
ks to projects like OJS, they are fast professionalizing. Lists such as Lat=
index, and platforms such as RedALyC and SciELO, by providing clear criteri=
a of quality are accelerating the process. Discussions are going on to expl=
ore the possibility of creating LA mega-journals and La Referencia, based o=
n Redclara, offers the beginning of a network of repositories. These large =
collections of journals (6,000 at least are vetted in Latindex) can form th=
e basis for an autonomous scientific pole that will engage as a regional pu=
blication in the &quot;grand conversation&quot; of science as a
counterweig=
ht to the present publishing oligarchy. India, China, Africa and South-East=
 Asia can imagine developing similar publication poles. When that is done, =
science will have achieved a healthy form of internationalization.<br>

            In short, Latin America is on the verge of reclaiming the right=
 and power to create value over its own publications, and not rely on such =
perverse tools as the impact factor, etc. Other regions of the world will h=
ave a wonderful model to follow.<br>

            There is one big obstacle to remove, however, in Latin America:=
 it is the very fascination for the impact factor in some institutional sec=
tors of Latin America. SciELO is an example of this. But the science counci=
ls that are also the funding agencies do the same. In some countries (e.g. =
Colombia), some universities even offer financial incentives for people to =
publish in &quot;international&quot; journals (i.e. journals that have
garn=
ered high IF&#39;s in Thomson-Reuters&#39; JCR). <br>

            It might be a good idea to create a site to document such pract=
ices in order to compare them, and criticize them as silly and counterprodu=
ctive. <br>
            Jean-Claude<br>
            Le vendredi 14 juin 2013 =E0 07:42 -0400, Carolina a =E9crit :
                This is true, but if you go deeper, our universities still =
do not have OA policies and a lot of Unesco and our governments call OA are=
 actually just free access (public access)...
                So my question is: should we move a step forward to guarant=
ee that all that is paid with public funding is OA under the Budapest decla=
ration, which means licensed under a CC-by license ?=A0<br>
                Que les parece? =A0<br>
                Sent from my iPhone<br>
                On Jun 13, 2013, at 11:35 PM, Saray C=F3rdoba &lt;<a
href=
=3D"mailto:saraycg AT gmail.com"
target=3D"_blank">saraycg AT gmail.com</a>&gt; w=
rote:<br>
                    Dear all, <br>
                    Latin America is a open access region because open acce=
ss movement is stronger than other regions in the world. Here you have the =
Unesco&#39;s Goap=A0<a
href=3D"http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-a=
nd-information/portals-and-platforms/goap/access-by-region/latin-america-an=
d-the-caribbean/"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communicat=
ion-and-information/portals-and-platforms/goap/access-by-region/latin-ameri=
ca-and-the-caribbean/</a>=A0which describes the OA situation from
different=
 facets.=A0 <br>

                    We have the LLAAR forum where someone translates to Spa=
nish the BOAI Forum news:=A0<a
href=3D"https://www.facebook.com/groups/1846=
75074889032/"
target=3D"_blank">https://www.facebook.com/groups/18467507488=
9032/</a>. Latindex (1997), Redalyc and SciELO (1998) are pioneers.
Before =
there was talked about open access in the world (2001) these already existe=
d.=A0 <br>

                    Thanks to Carolina, Jean Claude and others that remind =
us that &quot;the south also exists&quot; and this BOAI Forum is the
best s=
ite to discuss about open access and to support the local and regional deve=
lopment.=A0 <br>

                    We invite you to our Conference Biredial 2013, that wil=
l be held in Costa Rica on next October 15-17th. For more information visit=
:=A0<a
href=3D"http://www.biredial2013.ucr.ac.cr/index.php/Biredial2013/ai"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.biredial2013.ucr.ac.cr/</a>

                    Best wishes <br>
                    Saray <br>
                    2013/6/13 Fran=E7oise Salager-Meyer &lt;<a
href=3D"mail=
to:francoise.sm AT gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">francoise.sm
AT gmail.com</a>&gt;=
                        Regarding the coverage of Latin American journals (=
SciELO) in the web of science, here are 2 interesting papers. The first one=
 is entitled &quot;Latin American Scientific Journals: from &quot;Lost
Scie=
nce&quot; to Open Access. <br>

                        <a
href=3D"http://www.mexicanistas.eu/uploads/docum=
ents/Latin%20American%20Scie"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.mexicanistas.eu/=
uploads/documents/Latin%20American%20Scie</a>ntific%20Journals,%20ponencia,=
%20Sanchez%20Pereira.pdf <br>

                        p://<a
href=3D"http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la=
ncet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2812%2961600"
target=3D"_blank">www.thelancet.co=
m/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)61600</a>-6/fulltext
Salager-Meyer</=
font> <br>
                            ***<br>
                            Greetings from Vancouver<br>
                            Interestingly enough, at least from the perspec=
tive of an earth sciences librarian, it appears that some journals
that<br>
                            are in Latindex are also indexed in Web of Scie=
nce and GeoRef.<br>
                            For example,<br>

type=3D"cite"><div><span></=
span><br>

from the BOAI Forum=
href=3D"http://mailman.ecs.=
soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum"
target=3D"_blank">http://mailman.e=

--<br>
To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this page:<br>
<a
href=3D"http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum"
targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum</a=