[BOAI] Re: Tensions grow as data-mining discussions fall apart

From: Julia Bolton Holloway <holloway.julia AT tiscali.it>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:23:48 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] Tensions grow as data-mining discussions fall apart from carolina.rossini AT gmail.com
      • This Message

Initially, copyright came about to protect authors' intellectual
property and to provide them an income in exchange for their work.
Today, publishers use this for their own profits, not for their authors.
With hard copy books and articles there are also the costs involved of
paper, ink, binding, distributing, advertising, shelving, cataloguing,
etc. While some of my books are published in this way, others I
self-publish on the Web on my websites, using a server I pay for out of
my pension, outside of the academic structures, making accessible,
globally, primary research materials such as manuscript texts and
facsimiles that otherwise could only be accessed by a few scholars
travelling to European libraries. I write the texts with html and jpg
using the Sea Monkey Composer (successor to the Netscape Composer), and
add meta-tags for search engines. Keeping the programme simple is
essential for transferability. I would recommend scholars do this, using
editing skills, creating departmental cottage industries, and that these
holistic liberating methods be taught in graduate schools. We do not
need the exclusive expert proprietary corporate model, but rather the
monastic one where learning was produced and preserved in-house, then
shared, Continent-wide, with reciprocal networks.

Julia Bolton Holloway Mediatheca 'Fioretta Mazzei' 'English' Cemetery
P.le Donatello, 38 50132 FIRENZE ITALY