[BOAI] Re: a question on the nature of this group

From: Jean-Claude =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gu=E9don?= <jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 10:35:47 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] a question on the nature of this group from carolina.rossini AT gmail.com
      • This Message

What Carolina asks for makes a great deal of sense, but is this not what
CLACSO is already doing? What is needed, perhaps, is a source of funding
for a year or two to give CLACSO the elbow room needed to pursue this
goal. It is really a question of aggregating what is already on the
ground. And the best ways to do this, beyond a CLACSO-like entity to
manage the operation, is to build a trustworthy network of people on the
ground. These people can be identified rather quickly in many LA
countries. Making these people meet somewhere in Latin America for a few
days would be a wonderful way to kick things off. A foundation could
fund this for less than a 100,000 dollars. There, they could share
experiences and best practices, and they could design a collective
strategy to achieve the goal just pointed out by Carolina. But a lot has
been done already and it would be a pity to reinvent the wheel.

Just my two cents' worth.

jc

Le vendredi 14 juin 2013 à 22:30 -0400, Carolina Rossini a écrit :

> [...]
> <gortuzar AT u.uchile.cl> wrote:
>
>         Dear all,
>

>         I agree with Jean Claude on the need to advance through stages
>         in creating a basis of a OA scientific pole in Latin America.
>
>         Universities have led several initiatives: optimization of
>         academic journals, implementing Creative Commons, developing
>         institutional repositories, etc..
>         No doubt that SciELO, Redalyc, Latindex, PKP (with OJS & OMP)
>          have also contributed to this development.
>
>         Some interesting results that I share with you:
>
>         Latin American Repositories Network
>         http://www.repositorioslatinoamericanos.info/
>         developed by the University of Chile and provides simultaneous
>         access to 65 repositories, from 16 countries.
>
>         Latin America Thesis Portal
>         http://tesislatinoamericanas.info/
>         Simultaneous access to 40 universities.
>

>         Electronic journals (with OJS / PKP)
>         http://www.revistas.uchile.cl/
>

>         Electronic books (OMP / PKP)
>         http://libros.uchile.cl/
>

>         The south also exists !
>

>         -------------------------------------------------
>         Gabriela Ortúzar
>         Director
>
>         Information Services & Library System
>         Universidad de Chile
>         Tel 56-29782584
>
>         http://www.uchile.cl
>
>         http://m.uchile.cl (móvil)
>

>         El 14-06-2013, a las 9:34, Jean-Claude Guédon
>         <jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca> escribió:
>

>         > Me parece muy bien,
>         >
>         > pero...
>         >
>         > It is important to remember that perfection can be the enemy
>         > of good. What is really needed is a road map of steps that
>         > could start low-hanging fruits and move forward from there.
>         > Objectives do not need to be horizons; they can be plateaus
>         > that allow launching the next stage of operations.
>         >
>         > This said, in terms of innovations, latin America clearly
>         > leads the way. Look at the Peruvian law regarding a national
>         > repository that emerged very recently. Argentina has already
>         > moved on this. Etc. etc.
>         >
>         > What is going to be crucial in the near future is that a
>         > large majority of journals in Latin America are located
>         > within universities. Thanks to projects like OJS, they are
>         > fast professionalizing. Lists such as Latindex, and
>         > platforms such as RedALyC and SciELO, by providing clear
>         > criteria of quality are accelerating the process.
>         > Discussions are going on to explore the possibility of
>         > creating LA mega-journals and La Referencia, based on
>         > Redclara, offers the beginning of a network of repositories.
>         > These large collections of journals (6,000 at least are
>         > vetted in Latindex) can form the basis for an autonomous
>         > scientific pole that will engage as a regional publication
>         > in the "grand conversation" of science as a
counterweight to
>         > the present publishing oligarchy. India, China, Africa and
>         > South-East Asia can imagine developing similar publication
>         > poles. When that is done, science will have achieved a
>         > healthy form of internationalization.
>         >
>         > In short, Latin America is on the verge of reclaiming the
>         > right and power to create value over its own publications,
>         > and not rely on such perverse tools as the impact factor,
>         > etc. Other regions of the world will have a wonderful model
>         > to follow.
>         >
>         > There is one big obstacle to remove, however, in Latin
>         > America: it is the very fascination for the impact factor in
>         > some institutional sectors of Latin America. SciELO is an
>         > example of this. But the science councils that are also the
>         > funding agencies do the same. In some countries (e.g.
>         > Colombia), some universities even offer financial incentives
>         > for people to publish in "international" journals
(i.e.
>         > journals that have garnered high IF's in Thomson-Reuters'
>         > JCR).
>         >
>         > It might be a good idea to create a site to document such
>         > practices in order to compare them, and criticize them as
>         > silly and counterproductive.
>         >
>         > Jean-Claude
>         >
>         > Le vendredi 14 juin 2013 à 07:42 -0400, Carolina a écrit :
>         > >
>         > > This is true, but if you go deeper, our universities
still
>         > > do not have OA policies and a lot of Unesco and our
>         > > governments call OA are actually just free access
(public
>         > > access)...
>         > >
>         > > So my question is: should we move a step forward to
>         > > guarantee that all that is paid with public funding is
OA
http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/portals-and-platforms/goap/access-by-region/latin-america-and-the-caribbean/ which describes the OA situation from different facets.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184675074889032/.
>         > > > Latindex (1997), Redalyc and SciELO (1998) are
pioneers.
>         > > > Before there was talked about open access in the
world
>         > > > (2001) these already existed.
>         > > >
>         > > >
>         > > > Thanks to Carolina, Jean Claude and others that
remind
>         > > > us that "the south also exists" and this
BOAI Forum is
http://www.biredial2013.ucr.ac.cr/
>         > > >
>         > > > Best wishes
>         > > > Saray
>         > > >
>         > > > 2013/6/13 Françoise Salager-Meyer
>         > > > <francoise.sm AT gmail.com>
>         > > >
>         > > >         Regarding the coverage of Latin American
>         > > >         journals (SciELO) in the web of science,
here
>         > > >         are 2 interesting papers. The first one is
>         > > >         entitled "Latin American Scientific
Journals:
>         > > >         from "Lost Science" to Open
Access.
http://www.mexicanistas.eu/uploads/documents/Latin%20American%20Scientific%20Journals,%20ponencia,%20Sanchez%20Pereira.pdf
p://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)61600-6/fulltext

>         > > >
>         > > >
>         > > >         Françoise Salager-Meyer
>         > > >
>         > > >
>         > > >
>         > > >         > ***
>         > > >         > Greetings from Vancouver
>         > > >         >
>         > > >         > Interestingly enough, at least from
the
>         > > >         > perspective of an earth sciences
librarian, it
>         > > >         > appears that some journals that
>         > > >         > are in Latindex are also indexed in
Web of
http://www.latindex.unam.mx/buscador/ficRev.html?folio=18159&opcion=3
>         > > >         >
>         > > >         > Knowing the coverage of GeoRef, this
doesn't
>         > > >         > really surprise me.
>         > > >         >
>         > > >         > Kevin
>         > > >         >
>         > > >         > Kevin Lindstrom
>         > > >         > Physical Sciences and Engineering
Librarian
>         > > >         > Woodward Library
>         > > >         > 2198 Health Sciences Mall
>         > > >         > University of British Columbia
>         > > >         > Vancouver, B.C. Canada V6T 1Z3
>         > > >         > Email:kevin.lindstrom AT ubc.ca
>         > > >         > Voice: (604) 822-0695
>         > > >         > scieng.library.ubc.ca
>         > > >         >
>         > > >         >
>         > > >         >
>         > > >         > From: boai-forum-bounces AT
ecs.soton.ac.uk
>         > > >         > [boai-forum-bounces AT
ecs.soton.ac.uk] on behalf
>         > > >         > of Jean-Claude Guédon
>         > > >         > [jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca]
>         > > >         > Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:00 AM
>         > > >         > To: boai-forum AT ecs.soton.ac.uk
>         > > >         > Subject: [BOAI] Re: a question on the
nature
>         > > >         > of this group
>         > > >         > Having tried for years to demonstrate
that
>         > > >         > what is going on outside the North
Atlantic
>         > > >         > region of the world, is significant at
a world
>         > > >         > scale - how long did it take for
people to
>         > > >         > begin paying attention to both SciELO
and
>         > > >         > RedALyC? Who pays attention to the
6000
>         > > >         > journals vetted by Latindex? Why are
people
>         > > >         > mesmerized by the Web of Science,
SCOPUS and
>         > > >         > Ulrich's? - and after publishing
several
>         > > >         > articles on this kind of issues, I
would
>         > > >         > support Carolina's call with passion.
I would
>         > > >         > simply add that local actions are
wonderful,
>         > > >         > but one should never forget that their
>         > > >         > potential world impact is also great.
The
>         > > >         > North Atlantic region is not the sole
fount of
>         > > >         > wisdom in the scientific world, and it
should
>         > > >         > not masquerade as the only site of
>         > > >         > "international" science
(international here
>         > > >         > meaning "core journals" as
defined by
>         > > >         > Thomson-Reuters...).
>         > > >         >
>         > > >         > What SciELO and RedALyC are doing is
probably
>         > > >         > far more significant than all the
battles in
>         > > >         > Britain about a silly Finch report,
because
>         > > >         > the Finch report affects only Britain
and
>         > > >         > Brazil's GDP is just about to pass
that of
>         > > >         > Britain, if it is not already the
case. The
>         > > >         > future lies with Brazil, not Britain,
or
>         > > >         > France or Germany.
>         > > >         >
>         > > >         > I am with you 120%' Carolina.
>         > > >         >
>         > > >         > Jean-Claude
>         > > >         >
>         > > >         >
>         > > >         >
>         > > >         > Le mercredi 12 juin 2013 à 13:06
-0400,
>         > > >         > Carolina Rossini a écrit :
>         > > >         >
>         > > >         > > Hi all,
>         > > >         > >
>         > > >         > >
>         > > >         > > In the past few days, thinking on
how to
>         > > >         > > advance OA in Latin America, I
was wondering
>         > > >         > > if the members of this list could
play a
>         > > >         > > more active role in supporting
regional
>         > > >         > > policy initiatives.
>         > > >         > >
>         > > >         > >
>         > > >         > > I was thinking of a coalition of
sorts,
>         > > >         > > which can publish statements and
positions
>         > > >         > > supporting local actions.
>         > > >         > >
>         > > >         > >
>         > > >         > > What do you think? This would not
change
>         > > >         > > other roles for this list,
regarding
>         > > >         > > discussions on concepts and
events, but
>         > > >         > > would add a additional and spicy
element.
>         > > >         > >
>         > > >         > >
>         > > >         > > Carolina
>         > > >         > >
>         > > >         > >
>         > > >         > > --
>         > > >         > > Carolina Rossini
>         > > >         > > http://carolinarossini.net/
>         > > >         > > + 1 6176979389
>         > > >         > > *carolina.rossini AT gmail.com*
>         > > >         > > skype: carolrossini
>         > > >         > >  AT carolinarossini
>         > > >         > >
>         > > >         > >
>         > > >         > >         --      To unsubscribe
from the BOAI
>         > > >         > > Forum, use the form on this page:
>         > > >         > >
>         > > >         > Jean-Claude Guédon Professeur
titulaire
>         > > >         > Littérature comparée Université de
Montréal

--

Jean-Claude Guédon
Professeur titulaire