[BOAI] Re: a question on the nature of this group

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gabriela_Ort=FAzar?= <gortuzar AT u.uchile.cl>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:05:57 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] a question on the nature of this group from carolina.rossini AT gmail.com
      • This Message

Dear all,

I agree with Jean Claude on the need to advance through stages in creating a
basis of a OA scientific pole in Latin America.

Universities have led several initiatives: optimization of academic journals,
implementing Creative Commons, developing institutional repositories, etc..
No doubt that SciELO, Redalyc, Latindex, PKP (with OJS & OMP)  have also
contributed to this development.

Some interesting results that I share with you:
Latin American Repositories Network
http://www.repositorioslatinoamericanos.info/
developed by the University of Chile and provides simultaneous access to 65
repositories, from 16 countries.

Latin America Thesis Portal
http://tesislatinoamericanas.info/
Simultaneous access to 40 universities.

Electronic journals (with OJS / PKP)
http://www.revistas.uchile.cl/

Electronic books (OMP / PKP)
http://libros.uchile.cl/

The south also exists !

Gabriela Ortúzar
Director
Information Services & Library System
Universidad de Chile
Tel 56-29782584
http://www.uchile.cl
http://m.uchile.cl (móvil)

El 14-06-2013, a las 9:34, Jean-Claude Guédon <jean.claude.guedon AT
umontreal.ca> escribió:

> Me parece muy bien,
>
> pero...
>
> It is important to remember that perfection can be the enemy of good. What
is really needed is a road map of steps that could start low-hanging fruits and
move forward from there. Objectives do not need to be horizons; they can be
plateaus that allow launching the next stage of operations.

> This said, in terms of innovations, latin America clearly leads the way.
Look at the Peruvian law regarding a national repository that emerged very
recently. Argentina has already moved on this. Etc. etc.

> What is going to be crucial in the near future is that a large majority of
journals in Latin America are located within universities. Thanks to projects
like OJS, they are fast professionalizing. Lists such as Latindex, and
platforms such as RedALyC and SciELO, by providing clear criteria of quality
are accelerating the process. Discussions are going on to explore the
possibility of creating LA mega-journals and La Referencia, based on Redclara,
offers the beginning of a network of repositories. These large collections of
journals (6,000 at least are vetted in Latindex) can form the basis for an
autonomous scientific pole that will engage as a regional publication in the
"grand conversation" of science as a counterweight to the present
publishing oligarchy. India, China, Africa and South-East Asia can imagine
developing similar publication poles. When that is done, science will have
achieved a healthy form of internationalization.

> In short, Latin America is on the verge of reclaiming the right and power
to create value over its own publications, and not rely on such perverse tools
as the impact factor, etc. Other regions of the world will have a wonderful
model to follow.

> There is one big obstacle to remove, however, in Latin America: it is the
very fascination for the impact factor in some institutional sectors of Latin
America. SciELO is an example of this. But the science councils that are also
the funding agencies do the same. In some countries (e.g. Colombia), some
universities even offer financial incentives for people to publish in
"international" journals (i.e. journals that have garnered high IF's
in Thomson-Reuters' JCR).

> It might be a good idea to create a site to document such practices in
order to compare them, and criticize them as silly and counterproductive.

> Jean-Claude
>
> Le vendredi 14 juin 2013 à 07:42 -0400, Carolina a écrit :
>>
>> This is true, but if you go deeper, our universities still do not have
OA policies and a lot of Unesco and our governments call OA are actually just
free access (public access)...
>> So my question is: should we move a step forward to guarantee that all
that is paid with public funding is OA under the Budapest declaration, which
means licensed under a CC-by license ?

gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Dear all,
>>> Latin America is a open access region because open access movement
is stronger than other regions in the world. Here you have the Unesco's Goap
http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/portals-and-platforms/goap/access-by-region/latin-america-and-the-caribbean/ which describes the OA situation from different facets.

>>> We have the LLAAR forum where someone translates to Spanish the
BOAI Forum news: https://www.facebook.com/groups/184675074889032/. Latindex
(1997), Redalyc and SciELO (1998) are pioneers. Before there was talked about
open access in the world (2001) these already existed.

>>> Thanks to Carolina, Jean Claude and others that remind us that
"the south also exists" and this BOAI Forum is the best site to
discuss about open access and to support the local and regional development.

>>> We invite you to our Conference Biredial 2013, that will be held
in Costa Rica on next October 15-17th. For more information visit:
http://www.biredial2013.ucr.ac.cr/

>>> Best wishes
>>> Saray
>>>
>>> 2013/6/13 Françoise Salager-Meyer <francoise.sm AT
gmail.com>
>>> Regarding the coverage of Latin American journals (SciELO) in the
web of science, here are 2 interesting papers. The first one is entitled
"Latin American Scientific Journals: from "Lost Science" to Open
Access.

http://www.mexicanistas.eu/uploads/documents/Latin%20American%20Scientific%20Journals,%20ponencia,%20Sanchez%20Pereira.pdf

p://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)61600-6/fulltext

>>> Françoise Salager-Meyer

earth sciences librarian, it appears that some journals that

http://www.latindex.unam.mx/buscador/ficRev.html?folio=18159&opcion=3

[boai-forum-bounces AT ecs.soton.ac.uk] on behalf of Jean-Claude Guédon
[jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca]
outside the North Atlantic region of the world, is significant at a world scale
- how long did it take for people to begin paying attention to both SciELO and
RedALyC? Who pays attention to the 6000 journals vetted by Latindex? Why are
people mesmerized by the Web of Science, SCOPUS and Ulrich's? - and after
publishing several articles on this kind of issues, I would support Carolina's
call with passion. I would simply add that local actions are wonderful, but one
should never forget that their potential world impact is also great. The North
Atlantic region is not the sole fount of wisdom in the scientific world, and it
should not masquerade as the only site of "international" science
(international here meaning "core journals" as defined by
Thomson-Reuters...).

significant than all the battles in Britain about a silly Finch report, because
the Finch report affects only Britain and Brazil's GDP is just about to pass
that of Britain, if it is not already the case. The future lies with Brazil,
not Britain, or France or Germany.

Latin America, I was wondering if the members of this list could play a more
active role in supporting regional policy initiatives.

statements and positions supporting local actions.

this list, regarding discussions on concepts and events, but would add a
additional and spicy element.

the form on this page:

Université de Montréal

>>> www.revistas.ucr.ac.cr