[BOAI] Re: a question on the nature of this group

From: Jean-Claude =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gu=E9don?= <jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:34:43 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] a question on the nature of this group from carolina.rossini AT gmail.com
      • This Message

Me parece muy bien,

pero...

It is important to remember that perfection can be the enemy of good.
What is really needed is a road map of steps that could start
low-hanging fruits and move forward from there. Objectives do not need
to be horizons; they can be plateaus that allow launching the next stage
of operations.

This said, in terms of innovations, latin America clearly leads the way.
Look at the Peruvian law regarding a national repository that emerged
very recently. Argentina has already moved on this. Etc. etc.

What is going to be crucial in the near future is that a large majority
of journals in Latin America are located within universities. Thanks to
projects like OJS, they are fast professionalizing. Lists such as
Latindex, and platforms such as RedALyC and SciELO, by providing clear
criteria of quality are accelerating the process. Discussions are going
on to explore the possibility of creating LA mega-journals and La
Referencia, based on Redclara, offers the beginning of a network of
repositories. These large collections of journals (6,000 at least are
vetted in Latindex) can form the basis for an autonomous scientific pole
that will engage as a regional publication in the "grand
conversation"
of science as a counterweight to the present publishing oligarchy.
India, China, Africa and South-East Asia can imagine developing similar
publication poles. When that is done, science will have achieved a
healthy form of internationalization.

In short, Latin America is on the verge of reclaiming the right and
power to create value over its own publications, and not rely on such
perverse tools as the impact factor, etc. Other regions of the world
will have a wonderful model to follow.

There is one big obstacle to remove, however, in Latin America: it is
the very fascination for the impact factor in some institutional sectors
of Latin America. SciELO is an example of this. But the science councils
that are also the funding agencies do the same. In some countries (e.g.
Colombia), some universities even offer financial incentives for people
to publish in "international" journals (i.e. journals that have
garnered
high IF's in Thomson-Reuters' JCR).

It might be a good idea to create a site to document such practices in
order to compare them, and criticize them as silly and
counterproductive.

Jean-Claude

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/portals-and-platforms/goap/access-by-region/latin-america-and-the-caribbean/ which describes the OA situation from different facets.

> > We have the LLAAR forum where someone translates to Spanish the BOAI
> > Forum news: https://www.facebook.com/groups/184675074889032/.
> > Latindex (1997), Redalyc and SciELO (1998) are pioneers. Before
> > there was talked about open access in the world (2001) these already
> > existed.
> >

> > Thanks to Carolina, Jean Claude and others that remind us that
"the
> > south also exists" and this BOAI Forum is the best site to
discuss
> > about open access and to support the local and regional
> > development.
> >

> > We invite you to our Conference Biredial 2013, that will be held in
> > Costa Rica on next October 15-17th. For more information
> > visit: http://www.biredial2013.ucr.ac.cr/
> >
> > Best wishes
> > Saray
> >

> > 2013/6/13 Françoise Salager-Meyer <francoise.sm AT gmail.com>
> >
> >         Regarding the coverage of Latin American journals (SciELO)
> >         in the web of science, here are 2 interesting papers. The
> >         first one is entitled "Latin American Scientific
Journals:

p://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)61600-6/fulltext

http://www.latindex.unam.mx/buscador/ficRev.html?folio=18159&opcion=3
> >         >
> >         > Knowing the coverage of GeoRef, this doesn't really
> >         > surprise me.
> >         >
> >         > Kevin
> >         >
> >         > Kevin Lindstrom
> >         > Physical Sciences and Engineering Librarian
> >         > Woodward Library
> >         > 2198 Health Sciences Mall
> >         > University of British Columbia
> >         > Vancouver, B.C. Canada V6T 1Z3
> >         > Email:kevin.lindstrom AT ubc.ca
> >         > Voice: (604) 822-0695
> >         > scieng.library.ubc.ca
> >         >
> >         >
Science,
> >         > SCOPUS and Ulrich's? - and after publishing several
> >         > articles on this kind of issues, I would support
> >         > Carolina's call with passion. I would simply add that
> >         > local actions are wonderful, but one should never forget
> >         > that their potential world impact is also great. The
North
> >         > Atlantic region is not the sole fount of wisdom in the
> >         > scientific world, and it should not masquerade as the
only
> >         > site of "international" science (international
here
> >         > meaning "core journals" as defined by
Thomson-Reuters...).
> >         >
> >         > What SciELO and RedALyC are doing is probably far more
> >         > significant than all the battles in Britain about a
silly
> >         > Finch report, because the Finch report affects only
> >         > Britain and Brazil's GDP is just about to pass that of
> >         > Britain, if it is not already the case. The future lies
> >         > with Brazil, not Britain, or France or Germany.
> >         >
> >         > I am with you 120%' Carolina.
> >         >
> >         > Jean-Claude
> >         >
> >         >
> >         >
> >         > Le mercredi 12 juin 2013 à 13:06 -0400, Carolina
Rossini a
> >         > écrit :
> >         >
> >         > > Hi all,
> >         > >
> >         > >
> >         > > In the past few days, thinking on how to advance OA
in
> >         > > Latin America, I was wondering if the members of
this
> >         > > list could play a more active role in supporting
> >         > > regional policy initiatives.
> >         > >
> >         > >
> >         > > I was thinking of a coalition of sorts, which can
> >         > > publish statements and positions supporting local
> >         > > actions.
> >         > >
> >         > >
> >         > > What do you think? This would not change other
roles for
> >         > > this list, regarding discussions on concepts and
events,
> >         > > but would add a additional and spicy element.
> >         > >
> >         > >
> >         > > Carolina
> >         > >
> >         > >
> >         > > --
> >         > > Carolina Rossini
> >         > > http://carolinarossini.net/
> >         > > + 1 6176979389
> >         > > *carolina.rossini AT gmail.com*
> >         > > skype: carolrossini
> >         > >  AT carolinarossini
> >         > >
> >         > >
> >         > >         --      To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum,
use
> >         > > the form on this page:
> >         > >
> >         >
> >         >
> >         > --
> >         > Jean-Claude Guédon Professeur titulaire Littérature
> >         > comparée Université de Montréal
> >         >
> >         >
> >         > --
> >         > To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this
> >         > page:
> >         >
> >         >

> >         --