[BOAI] Re: a question on the nature of this group

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Saray_C=F3rdoba?= <saraycg AT gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:35:23 -0600

Threading: [BOAI] a question on the nature of this group from carolina.rossini AT gmail.com
      • This Message

--0023547c8a910bf11c04df14f137

Dear all,
Latin America is a open access region because open access movement is
stronger than other regions in the world. Here you have the Unesco's Goap
http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/portals-and-plat=
forms/goap/access-by-region/latin-america-and-the-caribbean/
which
describes the OA situation from different facets.

We have the LLAAR forum where someone translates to Spanish the BOAI Forum
news: https://www.facebook.com/groups/184675074889032/. Latindex (1997),
Redalyc and SciELO (1998) are pioneers. Before there was talked about open
access in the world (2001) these already existed.

Thanks to Carolina, Jean Claude and others that remind us that "the south
also exists" and this BOAI Forum is the best site to discuss about open
access and to support the local and regional development.

We invite you to our Conference Biredial 2013, that will be held in Costa
Rica on next October 15-17th. For more information visit:
http://www.biredial2013.ucr.ac.cr/<http://www.biredial2013.ucr.ac.cr/index.=
php/Biredial2013/ai>

Best wishes
Saray

2013/6/13 Fran=E7oise Salager-Meyer <francoise.sm AT gmail.com>

> **
> Regarding the coverage of Latin American journals (SciELO) in the web of
> science, here are 2 interesting papers. The first one is entitled
"Latin
> American Scientific Journals: from "Lost Science" to Open
Access.

http://www.latindex.unam.mx/buscador/ficRev.html?folio=3D18159&opcion=3D3

> Knowing the coverage of GeoRef, this doesn't really surprise me.
>
> Kevin
>

> Kevin Lindstrom
> Physical Sciences and Engineering Librarian
> Woodward Library
> 2198 Health Sciences Mall
> University of British Columbia
> Vancouver, B.C. Canada V6T 1Z3
> Email:kevin.lindstrom AT ubc.ca
> Voice: (604) 822-0695
> scieng.library.ubc.ca
>
>  ------------------------------

--=20
Saray C=F3rdoba Gonz=E1lez
Encargada de Latindex
Vicerrector=EDa de Investigaci=F3n
Universidad de Costa Rica
4=BA piso Biblioteca Luis Demetrio Tinoco
Ciudad Universitaria Rodrigo Facio
Tel. 506-2511 4412, 506-2447 1908
Fax 506-2224 9367
www.latindex.ucr.ac.cr
www.revistas.ucr.ac.cr
www.kerwa.ucr.ac.cr
www.latindex.org

--0023547c8a910bf11c04df14f137

access region becaus=
e open access movement is stronger than other regions in the world. Here yo=
u have the Unesco&#39;s Goap=A0<a
href=3D"http://www.unesco.org/new/en/comm=
unication-and-information/portals-and-platforms/goap/access-by-region/latin=
-america-and-the-caribbean/"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.unesco.org/new/en=
/communication-and-information/portals-and-platforms/goap/access-by-region/=
latin-america-and-the-caribbean/</a>=A0which describes the OA situation
fro=
m different facets.=A0</div>

someone translates to Spa=
nish the BOAI Forum news:=A0<a
href=3D"https://www.facebook.com/groups/1846=
75074889032/">https://www.facebook.com/groups/184675074889032/</a>. Latinde=
x (1997), Redalyc and SciELO (1998) are pioneers. Before there was talked a=
bout open access in the world (2001) these already existed.=A0</div>

class=3D"gmail_extra">Thanks to C=
arolina, Jean Claude and others that remind us that &quot;the south also
ex=
ists&quot; and this BOAI Forum is the best site to discuss about open
acces=
s and to support the local and regional development.=A0</div>

class=3D"gmail_extra">We invite y=
ou to our Conference Biredial 2013, that will be held in Costa Rica on next=
 October 15-17th. For more information visit:=A0<a
href=3D"http://www.bired=
ial2013.ucr.ac.cr/index.php/Biredial2013/ai">http://www.biredial2013.ucr.ac=
.cr/</a></div>

wishes</div><div class=3D"gmail_extra" =
style>Saray</div><div
class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div
class=3D"gmail_quote">=
2013/6/13 Fran=E7oise Salager-Meyer <span
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
:francoise.sm AT gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">francoise.sm AT
gmail.com</a>&gt;</=
span><br>

0.8ex;border-=
left-width:1px;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-style:solid;p=
adding-left:1ex"><u></u>
web of science, here are 2 interesting papers. The first one is
entitled &quot;<font face=3D"Arial Bold"
color=3D"#000000">Latin American
Scientific Journals: from &quot;Lost Science&quot; to Open
Access.</font></div>
href=3D"http://www.mexicanistas.eu/uploads/documents/Latin%20Americ=
an%20Scie"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.mexicanistas.eu/uploads/documents/L=
chez%20Pereira.pdf</div>

href=3D"http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS01=
40-6736(12)61600"
target=3D"_blank">www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/artic=
r=3D"#888888">
Greetings from Vancouver<br>
Interestingly enough, at least from the perspective of an earth
sciences librarian, it appears that some journals that<br>
are in Latindex are also indexed in Web of Science and GeoRef.<br>
For example,<br>
<a
href=3D"http://www.latindex.unam.mx/buscador/ficRev.html?folio=3D18159&a=
mp;opcion=3D3"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.latindex.unam.mx/buscador/ficRe=
Knowing the coverage of GeoRef, this doesn&#39;t really surprise
me.<br>
Kevin<br>
size=3D"-1">Kevin Lindstrom<br>
Physical Sciences and Engineering Librarian<br>
Woodward Library<br>
2198 Health Sciences Mall=A0<br>
University of British Columbia<br>
Vancouver, B.C. Canada V6T 1Z3<br>
target=3D"_blank">Email:k=
evin.lindstrom AT ubc.ca</a><br>
Voice: (604) 822-0695<br>
target=3D"_blank">scieng.library.u=
<hr></blockquote>
size=3D"-1" color=3D"#00000=
0"><b>From:</b> <a
href=3D"mailto:boai-forum-bounces AT ecs.soton.ac.uk" targe=
t=3D"_blank">boai-forum-bounces AT ecs.soton.ac.uk</a>
[<a href=3D"mailto:boai-forum-bounces AT ecs.soton.ac.uk"
target=3D"_blank">bo=
ai-forum-bounces AT ecs.soton.ac.uk</a>] on behalf of Jean-Claude
Gu=E9don
[<a href=3D"mailto:jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca"
target=3D"_blank">jean.=
claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca</a>]<br>
<b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:boai-forum AT
ecs.soton.ac.uk" target=3D"_blank">=
boai-forum AT ecs.soton.ac.uk</a><br>
<b>Subject:</b> [BOAI] Re: a question on the nature of this
group</font><br>
color=3D"#000000"></font></blockquote>
that what is going on outside the North Atlantic region of the world,
is significant at a world scale - how long did it take for people to
begin paying attention to both SciELO and RedALyC? Who pays attention
to the 6000 journals vetted by Latindex? Why are people mesmerized by
the Web of Science, SCOPUS and Ulrich&#39;s? - and after publishing
several articles on this kind of issues, I would support Carolina&#39;s
call with passion. I would simply add that local actions are
wonderful, but one should never forget that their potential world
impact is also great. The North Atlantic region is not the sole fount
of wisdom in the scientific world, and it should not masquerade as the
only site of &quot;international&quot; science (international here
meaning &quot;core journals&quot; as defined by
Thomson-Reuters...).<br>
What SciELO and RedALyC are doing is probably far more significant
than all the battles in Britain about a silly Finch report, because
the Finch report affects only Britain and Brazil&#39;s GDP is just about
to pass that of Britain, if it is not already the case. The future
lies with Brazil, not Britain, or France or Germany.<br>
I am with you 120%&#39; Carolina.<br>
Jean-Claude<br>
Le mercredi 12 juin 2013 =E0 13:06 -0400, Carolina Rossini a =E9crit
:<br>
advance OA in Latin America, I was wondering if the members of this
list could play a more active role in supporting regional policy
initiatives.<br>
a=A0coalition=A0of sorts, which can
publish=A0statements=A0and positions supporting local
actions.<br>
change
other roles for this list, regarding discussions on concepts and
events, but would add a additional and spicy element.<br>
Rossini</b><br>
href=3D"http://carolinarossini.net/" target=3D=
"_blank"><font
color=3D"#666666">+ 1
6176979389</font><br>
href=3D"mailto:carolina.rossini AT gmail.co=
m" target=3D"_blank">carolina.rossini AT
gmail.com</a><font color=3D"#666666">=
*</font><br>
color=3D"#666666">skype:
carolrossini</font><br>
color=3D"#666666"> AT carolinarossini</font><b=
r>
--=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum,
use the form on this page:</tt> <a
href=3D"http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/m=
ailman/listinfo/boai-forum"
target=3D"_blank"><tt>http://mailman.ecs.soton.=
Professeur
titulaire Litt=E9rature compar=E9e Universit=E9 de
Montr=E9al</tt></blockquote>
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0<br>
--=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0<br>
To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this page:<br>
et=3D"_blank">http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum</a=
--<br>
To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this page:<br>
<a
href=3D"http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum"
targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum</a=
C=
=F3rdoba Gonz=E1lez<br>

Encargada de Latindex<br>Vicerrector=EDa de
Investigaci=F3n<br>Universidad =
de Costa Rica<br>4=BA piso Biblioteca Luis Demetrio
Tinoco<br>Ciudad Univer=
sitaria Rodrigo Facio<br>Tel. <a
href=3D"tel:506-2511%204412" value=3D"+506=
25114412" target=3D"_blank">506-2511 4412</a>, <a
href=3D"tel:506-2447%2019=
08" value=3D"+50624471908"
target=3D"_blank">506-2447 1908</a><br>

Fax <a href=3D"tel:506-2224%209367"
value=3D"+50622249367" target=3D"_blank=
">506-2224 9367</a><br>
target=3D"_blank">www.latindex.uc=
r.ac.cr</a><div><a
href=3D"http://www.revistas.ucr.ac.cr" target=3D"_blank"=