[BOAI] Re: a question on the nature of this group

From: Carolina Rossini <carolina.rossini AT gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 19:35:22 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] Re: a question on the nature of this group from jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca
      • This Message

--00248c76910a888cc104df1195ad

Thank you. Good to meet you Luis.
Gildenir, I am Brazilian actually. But leaving in the US for the past 6
years.
I am a lawyer, academic and activist on many issues concerning access to
knowledge. I was part of Creative Commons Brazil and helped many journals
(and also Scielo) to adopt CC. Another of my efforts that thankfully is now
lead by a broader and very energetic community is the rea.net.br on open
educational resources. A UNICAMP professor contributes a lot with it -Tel
Amiel, it would be good if you reach out to him. In Brazil and in Latin
America the Librarians have not got much involved in the politics of all of
this.

Sometimes I just feel this list has a lot of knowledge, but we exchange
just among of us. I have an activist heart, so I think it is highly
important to bring more people to the debate ... so, my question
is...should this list has a "public face"...as a coalition that also
supports regional activities and also responds for calls for help?

For instance, in USP something really bad happened recently....The dean for
research for the whole university sent internal communications to the USP
community saying that folks should not publish in OA because OA is a scam
(!!!!!!)...his allegations were based on the Nature article (and of course,
were totally without context)
http://www.nature.com/news/predatory-publishers-are-corrupting-open-access-=
1.11385

This is REALLY bad, but nobody has done much about it. It would be great to
have a BOAI coalition that help in this cases by providing minds and words
to help clarify such issues and publish statements in the name of OA.

Carol

http://www.latindex.unam.mx/buscador/ficRev.html?folio=3D18159&opcion=3D3

> Knowing the coverage of GeoRef, this doesn't really surprise me.
>
> Kevin
>

> Kevin Lindstrom
> Physical Sciences and Engineering Librarian
> Woodward Library
> 2198 Health Sciences Mall
> University of British Columbia
> Vancouver, B.C. Canada V6T 1Z3
> Email:kevin.lindstrom AT ubc.ca
> Voice: (604) 822-0695
> scieng.library.ubc.ca
>
>  ------------------------------

--=20
*Carolina Rossini*
http://carolinarossini.net/
+ 1 6176979389
*carolina.rossini AT gmail.com*
skype: carolrossini
 AT carolinarossini

--00248c76910a888cc104df1195ad

Luis. </span><=
br style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)"><span
style=3D"font-size:11pt;font-family:&qu=
ot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:rgb(0,0,0)"
lang=3D"EN-US">Gi=
ty is the <a href=3D"http://rea.net.br">rea.net.br</a> on
open educational =
resources. A UNICAMP professor contributes a lot with it -Tel Amiel, it wou=
ld be good if you reach out to him. In Brazil and in Latin America the Libr=
arians have not got much involved in the politics of all of
this.</span><br=
 style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)">
style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)">Sometimes I=
 just feel this list has a lot of knowledge, but we exchange just among of =
us. I have an activist heart, so I think it is highly important to bring mo=
re people to the debate ... so, my question is...should this list has a
&qu=
ot;public face&quot;...as a coalition that also supports regional
activitie=
s and also responds for calls for help?</span><br
style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)=
">
style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)">For instanc=
e, in USP something really bad happened recently....The dean for research f=
or the whole university sent internal communications to the USP community s=
aying that folks should not publish in OA because OA is a scam (!!!!!!)...h=
is allegations were based on the Nature article (and of course, were totall=
y without context)</span> <a
href=3D"http://www.nature.com/news/predatory-p=
ublishers-are-corrupting-open-access-1.11385">http://www.nature.com/news/pr=
edatory-publishers-are-corrupting-open-access-1.11385</a><br
style=3D"color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)">This is REA=
LLY bad, but nobody has done much about it. It would be great to have a BOA=
I coalition that help in this cases by providing minds and words to help cl=
arify such issues and publish statements in the name of OA.</span><br
style=
=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)">
style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)">Carol</span=
style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)"><div style=
=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)" class=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Jun
13, 2013 at 3:41 PM=
, Fran=E7oise Salager-Meyer <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a
href=3D"mailto:francoi=
se.sm AT gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">francoise.sm AT
gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wr=
ote:<br>
.8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
the University of The Andes (M=E9rida, Venezuela) who also works in
Bucaramanga (Universidad Industrial de Santander. Bucaramanga.
Colombia).</div>
target=3D"_blank">luis.nune=
z AT redclara.net</a></div>
target=3D"_blank">nunez AT ula.ve</a></di=
v>
class=3D"im"><br>
Greetings from Vancouver<br>
Interestingly enough, at least from the perspective of an earth
sciences librarian, it appears that some journals that<br>
are in Latindex are also indexed in Web of Science and GeoRef.<br>
For example,<br>
<a
href=3D"http://www.latindex.unam.mx/buscador/ficRev.html?folio=3D18159&a=
mp;opcion=3D3"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.latindex.unam.mx/buscador/ficRe=
Knowing the coverage of GeoRef, this doesn&#39;t really surprise
me.<br>
Kevin<br>
size=3D"-1">Kevin Lindstrom<br>
Physical Sciences and Engineering Librarian<br>
Woodward Library<br>
2198 Health Sciences Mall=A0<br>
University of British Columbia<br>
Vancouver, B.C. Canada V6T 1Z3<br>
target=3D"_blank">Email:k=
evin.lindstrom AT ubc.ca</a><br>
Voice: <a href=3D"tel:%28604%29%20822-0695"
value=3D"+16048220695" target=
=3D"_blank">(604) 822-0695</a><br>
target=3D"_blank">scieng.library.u=
<hr></blockquote>
face=3D"Tahoma" size=3D"-1"><div clas=
s=3D"im"><b>From:</b> <a
href=3D"mailto:boai-forum-bounces AT ecs.soton.ac.uk"=
 target=3D"_blank">boai-forum-bounces AT ecs.soton.ac.uk</a>
[<a href=3D"mailto:boai-forum-bounces AT ecs.soton.ac.uk"
target=3D"_blank">bo=
ai-forum-bounces AT ecs.soton.ac.uk</a>] on behalf of Jean-Claude
Gu=E9don
[<a href=3D"mailto:jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca"
target=3D"_blank">jean.=
claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca</a>]<br>
<b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:boai-forum AT
ecs.soton.ac.uk" target=3D"_blank">=
boai-forum AT ecs.soton.ac.uk</a><br>
this
group</font><br>
that what is going on outside the North Atlantic region of the world,
is significant at a world scale - how long did it take for people to
begin paying attention to both SciELO and RedALyC? Who pays attention
to the 6000 journals vetted by Latindex? Why are people mesmerized by
the Web of Science, SCOPUS and Ulrich&#39;s? - and after publishing
several articles on this kind of issues, I would support Carolina&#39;s
call with passion. I would simply add that local actions are
wonderful, but one should never forget that their potential world
impact is also great. The North Atlantic region is not the sole fount
of wisdom in the scientific world, and it should not masquerade as the
only site of &quot;international&quot; science (international here
meaning &quot;core journals&quot; as defined by
Thomson-Reuters...).<br>
What SciELO and RedALyC are doing is probably far more significant
than all the battles in Britain about a silly Finch report, because
the Finch report affects only Britain and Brazil&#39;s GDP is just about
to pass that of Britain, if it is not already the case. The future
lies with Brazil, not Britain, or France or Germany.<br>
I am with you 120%&#39; Carolina.<br>
Jean-Claude<br>
Le mercredi 12 juin 2013 =E0 13:06 -0400, Carolina Rossini a =E9crit
:<br>
advance OA in Latin America, I was wondering if the members of this
list could play a more active role in supporting regional policy
initiatives.<br>
a=A0coalition=A0of sorts, which can
publish=A0statements=A0and positions supporting local
actions.<br>
change
other roles for this list, regarding discussions on concepts and
events, but would add a additional and spicy element.<br>
Rossini</b><br>
href=3D"http://carolinarossini.net/" target=3D=
"_blank">http://carolinarossini.net/</a><br>
target=3D"_blank">6176979=
389</a><br>
*<a href=3D"mailto:carolina.rossini AT gmail.com"
target=3D"_blank">carolina.r=
ossini AT gmail.com</a>*<br>
carolrossini<br>
--=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum,
use the form on this page:</tt> <a
href=3D"http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/m=
ailman/listinfo/boai-forum"
target=3D"_blank"><tt>http://mailman.ecs.soton.=
Professeur
titulaire Litt=E9rature compar=E9e Universit=E9 de
Montr=E9al</tt></blockquote>
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0<br>
--=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0<br>
To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this page:<br>
et=3D"_blank">http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum</a=
--<br>
To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this page:<br>
<a
href=3D"http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum"
targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/boai-forum</a=
style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)"><br style=3D"color:r=
gb(0,0,0)" clear=3D"all">
style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)">-- </span><=
br style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)"><div
style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)"><b>Carolina R=
href=3D"http://carolinarossini.net/" target=3D"_b=
lank">http://carolinarossini.net/</a></div>
AT gmail.com" targe=
t=3D"_blank">carolina.rossini AT
"color:rgb(0,0,0)">skype: carolrossini</div><div
style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)"=