[BOAI] Re: Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria

From: "Beall, Jeffrey" <Jeffrey.Beall AT>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 08:48:41 -0600

Threading: [BOAI] Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria from peter.suber AT
      • This Message

As David notes, there is some overlap between my list and DOAJ, and the overlap
is due to different criteria. I don't think the overlap is large.

Here are my reasons for adding World Scholars to my list:

1. The domain name data is blocked. Some of the journals show an Oklahoma City
P.O. Box as an address; others lack any physical location information.  This
shows a tendency towards non-transparency. Where is this journal really
headquartered? Who is operating it? These questions are not sufficiently
answered on the site.

2. Each of the publisher's journals has a broad scope, perhaps to attract more
papers, e.g., American Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. Also, the
journals contain articles that don't really match their scope. The lead article
in the current issue of the American Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences
is entitled, "Effects of Interest Rate and Debt on Equity

3. Some of the editorial boards are small. For example, the one for the Journal
of Sustainable Society has only six members, with only one from the U.S.

4. The publisher does place the CC BY logo on its website, but the PDFs of the
individual articles do not bear any licensing information.

5. Each of the journals purports to be indexed by a long list of services, but
some on the list are not indexing services.

6. Contact information is always generic and avoids listing any names, for

Principal Contact

Email: ajtr AT
Support Contact
Support Email: support AT

7. The International Journal of Community Development has no editorial board
listed, yet it has published an issue. Also, that journal title duplicates
another journal established earlier.

8. There's no indication that the publisher pays any attention to digital
preservation. The author guidelines are minimalist, and stated policies
regarding retraction and the like are non-existent.

9. Despite the publisher's purported U.S. location, a good portion of the
published papers originate in east and southern Africa.

Thank you,

Jeffrey Beall