[BOAI] Re: Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria

From: Jean-Claude =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gu=E9don?= <jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 09:26:17 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] Fwd: [GOAL] DOAJ announces new selection criteria from peter.suber AT gmail.com
      • This Message

Beall's list is useful, but that is exactly where it stands. This is not
logical truth.

I saw Hindawi appear in that list a couple of years ago... then it
disappeared

This said, Beall's list is very important and useful, but, like DOAJ, it
is not perfect.

I do not know American Scholars. Whether it should be in DOAJ or not, I
do not know. Perhaps, the DOAJ people should make it a habit to check
their list against Beall's, not as a way to exclude, but as a flag
pointing to the need for further investigation.

Clearly, DOAJ is a (wonderful) work in progress, and I take it that Jan
Szczepanski's remark is positive and meant to help DOAJ (and Beall's
list) improve.

One way for DOAJ to improve would be to place journals in various
quality categories that would be built on reliable indicators (no impact
factor, please...). One of the main tasks of Open Access at this
historical juncture is to rebuild the ways in which value is created
around the results of research. The present system, based as it is on
impact factors, is simply broken and perverse.

Jean-Claude Guédon

(http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=loadTemplate&template=about&uiLanguage=en#board)

http://www.plos.org/about/open-access/howopenisit/):
> > - Full text, metadata, and citations of articles can be crawled and
accessed
> > with permission (Machine Readability Level 4)
> > - Provides free readership rights to all articles immediately upon
> > publication (Reader Rights Level 1)
> > - Reuse is subject to certain restrictions; no remixing (Reuse Rights
Level

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlFw8p9XB3C6dHE3ZC1Hd2FMMjAweE96czRQb3NDbnc&usp=sharing

> > Future submissions for inclusion in to DOAJ must include the complete
set of
> > information provided by the publisher. This information will be
publicly
> > available in the Directory. The journals currently listed in the DOAJ
will
> > have to go through a re-evaluation process based on the new criteria.
This
> > work will take place over the next 12 months or so.
> >
> > *DOAJ Seal of Approval* At the same time we are launching the DOAJ
Seal of
> > Approval for Open Access Journals (in short: the DOAJ Seal) to
encourage a
> > high practice standard. These journals will be identified with the
DOAJ Seal
> > logo.
> >
> > In addition to the more general criteria, above, required for
inclusion in
> > the DOAJ, the following criteria must be met for a journal to receive
the
> > DOAJ Seal:
> >
> > *
> >  Provides machine readable copyright information to help search
engines
> > identify open works
> >
> > *
> >  Provides DOIs at the article level
> >
> > *
> >  Provides metadata to DOAJ at the article level
> >
> > *
> >  Has a digital archiving/preservation arrangement in place
> >
> > *
> >  Allows use and reuse at least at the following levels (as specified
in the
> > Open Access Spectrum,
http://www.plos.org/about/open-access/howopenisit/):
> > + Allows a community standard API or other protocol to crawl or
access full
> > text, metadata, citations, and data (including supplementary data)
for
> > articles (Open Access Spectrum: Machine Readability Level 2)
> > + Ensures generous reuse and remixing rights (Open Access Spectrum:
Reuse
> > Rights Level 1)
> > + Allows authors to post any version of their article to any
repository or
> > website (Open Access Spectrum: Author Posting Rights Level 1)
> >
> > +++++++++++++++++++++
> >
> > We are confident that the new criteria will positively contribute to
the
> > transparency of open access. Since open access journals are a
relatively new
> > phenomenon, and one that is continuously changing, we will probably
have to
> > revise the criteria in a couple of years to keep them current and up
> > date.
> >
> > To avoid any misunderstanding, we are restating DOAJ’s scope here:
> >
> > The DOAJ has the ambition to continue to be the white list of open
access
> > journals that are global in scope in terms of geography, scientific
> > discipline and language.
> >
> > In scope: Journals that provide immediate access to scholarly
articles
> > without reader payment, including back-files from those journals made
freely
> > available after transitioning to open access.
> >
> > Not in scope: Single articles from subscription based journals made
freely
> > available under an open access option (hybrid articles).
> >
> > Articles from subscription based journals made freely available after
an
> > embargo period (so-called delayed open access – not a term in our
> > dictionary).
> >
> > Your comments on the new criteria are much appreciated and will
contribute
> > toward their implementation. Comments must be received before 6pm
CEST on
> > Monday 15th July 2013 and should be sent to the DOAJ Community
Manager
> > Dominic Mitchell (dom AT doaj.org).
> >

> > Kind regards
> >
> > Lars Bjørnshauge