[BOAI] Re: a question on the nature of this group

From: Jean-Claude =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gu=E9don?= <jean.claude.guedon AT umontreal.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 09:00:36 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] a question on the nature of this group from carolina.rossini AT gmail.com
      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: a question on the nature of this group from francoise.sm AT gmail.com
             [BOAI] Re: a question on the nature of this group from carolina.rossini AT gmail.com

Having tried for years to demonstrate that what is going on outside the
North Atlantic region of the world, is significant at a world scale -
how long did it take for people to begin paying attention to both SciELO
and RedALyC? Who pays attention to the 6000 journals vetted by Latindex?
Why are people mesmerized by the Web of Science, SCOPUS and Ulrich's? -
and after publishing several articles on this kind of issues, I would
support Carolina's call with passion. I would simply add that local
actions are wonderful, but one should never forget that their potential
world impact is also great. The North Atlantic region is not the sole
fount of wisdom in the scientific world, and it should not masquerade as
the only site of "international" science (international here meaning
"core journals" as defined by Thomson-Reuters...).

What SciELO and RedALyC are doing is probably far more significant than
all the battles in Britain about a silly Finch report, because the Finch
report affects only Britain and Brazil's GDP is just about to pass that
of Britain, if it is not already the case. The future lies with Brazil,
not Britain, or France or Germany.

I am with you 120%' Carolina.

Jean-Claude

Le mercredi 12 juin 2013 à 13:06 -0400, Carolina Rossini a écrit :

> Hi all,
>

> In the past few days, thinking on how to advance OA in Latin America,
> I was wondering if the members of this list could play a more active
> role in supporting regional policy initiatives.
>

> I was thinking of a coalition of sorts, which can
> publish statements and positions supporting local actions.
>

> What do you think? This would not change other roles for this list,
> regarding discussions on concepts and events, but would add a
> additional and spicy element.
>

> Carolina
>

> --
>
> Carolina Rossini