[BOAI] Re: On Author/Publisher Agreements

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum AT gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 20:59:44 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] On Author/Publisher Agreements from amsciforum AT gmail.com
      • This Message

--001a11c38f3a6afa0404dc023793

Ifr any of the 60% of journals that currently endorse immediate,
unembargoed Green OA (the "Side of the Angels") were to decide to
backslide
and join the 40% of journals that embargo Green OA, what is awaiting them
is (1) some extremely bad press (which one publisher in particular can ill
afford) plus (2) the institutional repository's facilitated reprint request
Button <https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/RequestCopy>, ready to
provide Almost-Immediate, Almost-OA during the embargo, thereby hastening
the inevitable and well-deserved death of OA embargoes.

This is why it is important for universities and research funders to adopt
the Liege
<http://roarmap.eprints.org/56/>/HEFCE<http://roarmap.eprints.org=
/834/>-style
of immediate-deposit mandate. It requires deposit immediately upon
acceptance for publication, regardless of whether access to the deposit is
immediate or embargoed. And immediate-deposit is designated the sole means
of submitting published articles for performance evaluation.

Think about it.

Stevan Harnad

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM, David Groenewegen <
david.groenewegen AT monash.edu> wrote:

> I have seen evidence of both types of agreements - either a new clause in
> existing contracts at renewal time, or of a separate agreement that serve=
> as an addendum to the contract in between renewals. The danger I foresee =
if
> institutions refuse to sign them (or even if some do) is that the
> publishers will also change the author agreements to achieve the same end=
s.
> This will close up the loophole Stevan has identified.

> On 4/05/2013 12:57 AM, Stevan Harnad wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM, David Kane <DKANE AT wit.ie
>> <mailto:DKANE AT wit.ie>> wrote:
>>
>>     Thanks for flagging this.  I am not clear about exactly what you
>>     mean though.
>>     Are you talking about an extra clause in the existing
Institutional
>>     LICENCING agreement, or a second Institutional agreement that they
>>     are now introducing?
>>     **
>>

>> Nothing whatsoever to do with institutional licensing agreements
>> (nor with institutional subscription pricing agreements, nor with
>> author rights).
>>
>> That's the point!
>>
>> It's an arbitrary agreement that some publishers (playing on confusion
>> about whether this is about author rights, institutional licenses, or
>> institutional price negotiations) are trying  to
>> con institutions into signing
>> /for no reason whatsoever!/
>>
>> Caveat emptor.
>>
>> [/Funny side-note/: Does Elsevier faintly imagine that an
institutional
>> agreement (from any institution gullible enough to sign it!) will
restra=
in
>> 25 years of authors' posting their AAMs to Arxiv, immediately,
unmandate=
d?
>> Computer scientists and physicists have been the ones with the good
>> sense to go ahead and provide Green OA without fear or favour, and
>> /without requiring a mandate/, ever since the Web made it possible.
All
>> the
>> OA nonsense for the past 25 years has been about the rest of the
>> disciplines --
>> the ones that did not have the good sense to do likewise!]
>>
>>     *From:* Repositories discussion list
>>     [JISC-REPOSITORIES AT JISCMAIL.**AC.UK<JISC-REPOSITORIES AT
JISCMAIL.AC.UK=

>>     <mailto:JISC-REPOSITORIES AT
**JISCMAIL.AC.UK<JISC-REPOSITORIES AT JISCMAI=
L.AC.UK>>]
>> on behalf of Stevan
>>     Harnad [amsciforum AT GMAIL.COM <mailto:amsciforum AT
GMAIL.COM>]

policies/article-posting-**policy#accepted-author-**manuscript<http://ww=

external-embargo-list.pdf<http://cdn.elsevier.com/assets/pdf_file/0018/1=
21293/external-embargo-list.pdf>>
>> for
>>         a list of journal specific embargo periods (PDF) and see our
>>         funding body agreements
>>         <http://www.elsevier.com/**about/open-access/open-access-**

policies/funding-body-**agreements<http://www.elsevier.com/about/open-ac=
cess/open-access-policies/funding-body-agreements>>
>> for
>>         more details.
>>
>>     Let us all ask ourselves the following question:
>>
>>         "Why, if Elsevier's /author/ agreement is what it says it
is,
>>         does Elsevier feel it needs a /further agreement with the
>>         author's institution/?"
>>

>>     Is a rights agreement not something between the author and the
>>     publisher?
>>
>>     The answer is simple: Elsevier knows perfectly well that an
author's
>>     agreement that states *authors retain their right to post their
AAMs
>>     to their institutional repositories, immediately* means that their
>>     *authors retain their right to post their AAMs to their
>>     institutional repositories, immediately.*
>>
>>     So the only way to try to prevent institutions from requiring that
>>     their employees /exercise/ that right is to try to get the
>>     /institution/ to sign an agreement with the publisher that
>>     over-rides that right!
>>
>>     *Advice for authors:* Post your AAMs to your institutional
>>     repositories, immediately.
>>
>>     *Advice to Institutions: *Don't sign any agreements with
publishers
>>     about what rights your employees may or may not exercise.
>>
>>     Stevan
>>

> --
> David Groenewegen
> Director, Research Infrastructure
> Monash University Library
> Box 4, Monash University,
> Victoria, 3800
> AUSTRALIA
>
> Ph: +61 3 9902 0570
> Fx: +61 3 9905 2610
> Mb: +61 (0) 409 969 658
> david.groenewegen AT monash.edu

--001a11c38f3a6afa0404dc023793

Ifr any of the 60% of journals that currently endorse immediate, unembargoe=
d Green OA (the &quot;Side of the Angels&quot;) were to decide to
backslide=
 and join the 40% of journals that embargo Green OA, what is awaiting them =
is (1) some extremely bad press (which one publisher in particular can ill =
afford) plus=A0(2) the institutional repository&#39;s facilitated reprint
r=
equest <a
href=3D"https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/RequestCopy">Bu=
tton</a>, ready to provide Almost-Immediate, Almost-OA during the
embargo, =
thereby hastening the inevitable and well-deserved death of OA embargoes.<d=
iv>
and research fu=
nders to adopt the <a
href=3D"http://roarmap.eprints.org/56/">Liege</a>/<a =
href=3D"http://roarmap.eprints.org/834/">HEFCE</a>-style of
immediate-depos=
it mandate. It requires deposit immediately upon acceptance for publication=
, regardless of whether access to the deposit is immediate or embargoed. An=
d immediate-deposit is designated the sole means of submitting published ar=
ticles for performance evaluation.</div>
br><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sun, May 5, 2013
at 7:51 PM, David Gro=
enewegen <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a
href=3D"mailto:david.groenewegen AT monash.e=
du" target=3D"_blank">david.groenewegen AT
monash.edu</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br=

.8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I have seen evidence of both types of
agreem=
ents - either a new clause in existing contracts at renewal time, or of a s=
eparate agreement that serves as an addendum to the contract in between ren=
ewals. The danger I foresee if institutions refuse to sign them (or even if=
 some do) is that the publishers will also change the author agreements to =
achieve the same ends. This will close up the loophole Stevan has identifie=
d.<br>

D<br>
On 4/05/2013 12:57 AM, Stevan Harnad wrote:<br>
.8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM, David Kane &lt;<a
href=3D"mailto:DKANE AT wit=
.ie" target=3D"_blank">DKANE AT wit.ie</a><br>
&lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:DKANE AT wit.ie"
target=3D"_blank">DKANE AT wit.ie</=
a>&gt;&gt; wrote:<br>
=A0 =A0 Thanks for flagging this. =A0I am not clear about exactly what you<=
br>
=A0 =A0 mean though.<br>
=A0 =A0 Are you talking about an extra clause in the existing Institutional=
=A0 =A0 LICENCING agreement, or a second Institutional agreement that they<=
br>
=A0 =A0 are now introducing?<br>
=A0 =A0 **<br>
Nothing whatsoever to do with institutional licensing agreements<br>
(nor with institutional subscription pricing agreements, nor with<br>
author rights).<br>
That&#39;s the point!<br>
It&#39;s an arbitrary agreement that some publishers (playing on
confusion<=
br>
about whether this is about author rights, institutional licenses, or<br>
institutional price negotiations) are trying =A0to<br>
con institutions into signing<br>
/for no reason whatsoever!/<br>
Caveat emptor.<br>
[/Funny side-note/: Does Elsevier faintly imagine that an
institutional<br>
agreement (from any institution gullible enough to sign it!) will restrain<=
br>
25 years of authors&#39; posting their AAMs to Arxiv, immediately,
unmandat=
ed?<br>
Computer scientists and physicists have been the ones with the good<br>
sense to go ahead and provide Green OA without fear or favour, and<br>
/without requiring a mandate/, ever since the Web made it possible. All the=
OA nonsense for the past 25 years has been about the rest of the<br>
disciplines --<br>
the ones that did not have the good sense to do likewise!]<br>
=A0 =A0 *From:* Repositories discussion list<br>
=A0 =A0 [<a href=3D"mailto:JISC-REPOSITORIES AT JISCMAIL.AC.UK"
target=3D"_bla=
nk">JISC-REPOSITORIES AT
=A0 =A0 &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:JISC-REPOSITORIES AT
JISCMAIL.AC.UK" targ=
et=3D"_blank">JISC-REPOSITORIES AT
 Stevan<br>
=A0 =A0 Harnad [<a href=3D"mailto:amsciforum AT GMAIL.COM"
target=3D"_blank">a=
msciforum AT GMAIL.COM</a> &lt;mailto:<a
href=3D"mailto:amsciforum AT GMAIL.COM" =
target=3D"_blank">amsciforum AT
GMAIL.COM</a>&gt;]<br>
=A0 =A0 *Sent:* 03 May 2013 14:53<br>
=A0 =A0 *To:* <a href=3D"mailto:JISC-REPOSITORIES AT
JISCMAIL.AC.UK" target=3D=
"_blank">JISC-REPOSITORIES AT
=A0 =A0 &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:JISC-REPOSITORIES AT
JISCMAIL.AC.UK" targ=
et=3D"_blank">JISC-REPOSITORIES AT
=A0 =A0 *Subject:* On Author/Publisher Agreements<br>
=A0 =A0 On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM, &lt;<a
href=3D"mailto:brentier AT ulg.=
ac.be" target=3D"_blank">brentier AT
ulg.ac.be</a><br>
=A0 =A0 &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:brentier AT ulg.ac.be"
target=3D"_blank">=
brentier AT ulg.ac.be</a>&gt;&gt; wrote:<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Elsevier&#39;s policy is now clear:<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 *Accepted author manuscripts (AAM)<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 &lt;<a
href=3D"http://www.elsevier.com/about/open-access/op=
en-access-policies/article-posting-policy#accepted-author-manuscript"
targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://www.elsevier.com/<u></u>about/open-access/open-access-<=
ipt</a>&gt;*:<br>

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Immediate posting and dissemination of AAM=92s is allowed t=
o<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 personal websites, to institutional repositories, or to arX=
iv.<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 However, if your institution has an open access policy or<b=
r>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 mandate that requires you to post, Elsevier requires
an<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 agreement to be in place which respects the journal-specifi=
c<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 embargo periods. Click here<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 &lt;<a
href=3D"http://cdn.elsevier.com/assets/pdf_file/0018=
/121293/external-embargo-list.pdf"
target=3D"_blank">http://cdn.elsevier.co=
t; for<br>

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 a list of journal specific embargo periods (PDF) and see ou=
r<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 funding body agreements<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 &lt;<a
href=3D"http://www.elsevier.com/about/open-access/op=
en-access-policies/funding-body-agreements"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.el=

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 more details.<br>
=A0 =A0 Let us all ask ourselves the following question:<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 &quot;Why, if Elsevier&#39;s /author/ agreement is what
it =
says it is,<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 does Elsevier feel it needs a /further agreement with the<b=
r>
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 author&#39;s institution/?&quot;<br>
=A0 =A0 Is a rights agreement not something between the author and
the<br>
=A0 =A0 publisher?<br>
=A0 =A0 The answer is simple: Elsevier knows perfectly well that an
author&=
#39;s<br>
=A0 =A0 agreement that states *authors retain their right to post their AAM=
s<br>
=A0 =A0 to their institutional repositories, immediately* means that their<=
br>
=A0 =A0 *authors retain their right to post their AAMs to their<br>
=A0 =A0 institutional repositories, immediately.*<br>
=A0 =A0 So the only way to try to prevent institutions from requiring that<=
br>
=A0 =A0 their employees /exercise/ that right is to try to get the<br>
=A0 =A0 /institution/ to sign an agreement with the publisher that<br>
=A0 =A0 over-rides that right!<br>
=A0 =A0 *Advice for authors:* Post your AAMs to your institutional<br>
=A0 =A0 repositories, immediately.<br>
=A0 =A0 *Advice to Institutions: *Don&#39;t sign any agreements with
publis=
hers<br>
=A0 =A0 about what rights your employees may or may not exercise.<br>
=A0 =A0 Stevan<br>
color=3D"#888888">
class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=3D"#888888">
-- <br>
David Groenewegen<br>
Director, Research Infrastructure<br>
Monash University Library<br>
Box 4, Monash University,<br>
Victoria, 3800<br>
AUSTRALIA<br>
Ph: <a href=3D"tel:%2B61%203%209902%200570"
value=3D"+61399020570" target=
=3D"_blank">+61 3 9902 0570</a><br>
Fx: <a href=3D"tel:%2B61%203%209905%202610"
value=3D"+61399052610" target=
=3D"_blank">+61 3 9905 2610</a><br>
Mb: <a href=3D"tel:%2B61%20%280%29%20409%20969%20658"
value=3D"+61409969658=
" target=3D"_blank">+61 (0) 409 969 658</a><br>
target=3D"_blank">david.gro=
enewegen AT monash.edu</a><br>

--001a11c38f3a6afa0404dc023793--