[BOAI] Accelerating Science Award Program - Nominate now!

From: Iryna Kuchma <iryna.kuchma AT eifl.net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 18:16:42 +0300

--089e01183260d8d9de04dbbdb87a

*Nominate a pioneer who has applied scientific research published through
Open Access to innovate in any field. *

PLOS, the Wellcome Trust and Google launch the Accelerating Science Award
Program (ASAP) that recognizes the use of scientific research, published
through Open Access, which has led to innovations in any field that benefit
society.

The ASAP Program recognizes individuals who have used, applied or remixed
scientific research to innovate and make a difference in science, medicine,
business, technology or society as a whole.  Potential nominees include
individuals, teams or groups of collaborators such as scientists,
researchers, educators, technology leaders, entrepreneurs, policy makers,
patient advocates, public health workers, and students. There are three top
awards of $30,000 each.*

The ASAP Program will illuminate how the unrestricted exchange of
information can advance science and medicine, and benefit society.  It also
aspires to encourage a new generation of individuals to embrace the use and
application of scientific research published through Open Access=AD.

=93PLOS is delighted to collaborate with two dozen global organizations to
highlight the impact that Open Access research has on science, medicine and
society,=94 said Gary Ward, Chairman of the Board, PLOS.  =93We know there =
are
countless examples of individuals who have used Open Access research to
accelerate science but these stories often go untold.  Through this
program, we hope to bring them to the forefront.=94

The ASAP Program will be judged by an international committee composed of
distinguished leaders in multiple fields, including:

   - Agnes Binagwaho, M.D.,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnes_Binagwaho>Minister of Health,
Rwanda and faculty member in the Department of Global
   Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School
   - Helga Nowotny <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helga_Nowotny>,
President
   of the European Research Council (ERC) and Professor emeritus of Social
   Studies of Science, ETH Zurich
   - Tim O=92Reilly <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_O%27Reilly>,
Founder
   and CEO, O=92Reilly Media
   - Hans Rosling, M.D.,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Rosling>Professor of International
Health at Karolinska Institute and co-founder
   and chairman of the Gapminder
   - Harold Varmus, M.D.,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Varmus>Co-recipient of a Nobel
Prize for studies of the genetic basis of cancer
   and the current Director of the National Cancer Institute

=93The Wellcome Trust is proud to sponsor the ASAP Program, and in doing so=
,
recognize those who have maximized the impact of scientific research
published through Open Access,=94 said Robert Kiley, Head of Digital Servic=
es
at the Wellcome Trust.  =93We are eager to see real case studies that
showcase the unique value of Open Access and, through these stories,
inspire greater support for Open Access.=94

Three top awards of $30,000 each will be presented.  *The nomination period
is open from May 1 to June 15, 2013*.  Winners will be announced in
Washington, DC in October 2013, at an Open Access Week kickoff event hosted
by SPARC and the World Bank.

*For more information, including the full details of the ASAP Program,
nomination process, and the Award specifics, go to asap.plos.org. For
Program rules visit http://asap.plos.org/nominate/rules/.

Sponsors are the Association of College Research Libraries, the Association
of Research Libraries, Co-Action Publishing, Creative Commons, the
Directory of Open Access Journals, Doris Duke Charitable Trust, eLife,
EIFL, Hindawi, Health Research Alliance, Howard Hughes Medical Institute,
Impact Story, Max Planck Society, Mendeley, Microsoft Research, the Open
Access Scholarly Publishers Association, Research Councils UK, Research
Libraries UK, SPARC, SURF (Netherlands), the World Bank, and major sponsors
Google, Public Library of Science, and the Wellcome Trust

(
http://blogs.plos.org/plos/2013/05/plos-announces-accelerating-science-awar=
d-program/
)

--089e01183260d8d9de04dbbdb87a

scientific research =
published through Open Access to innovate <span>in any field.
>PLOS, the Wellcome Trust and Google launch the Accelerating Science Award =
Program (ASAP)
 that recognizes the use of scientific research, published through Open=20
Access, which has led to innovations in any field that benefit society. <br=
remixed scientific research to innovate and make a difference in=20
science, medicine, business, technology or society as a whole.=A0=20
Potential nominees include individuals, teams or groups of collaborators
 such as scientists, researchers, educators, technology leaders,=20
entrepreneurs, policy makers, patient advocates, public health workers,=20
and students. There are three top awards of $30,000 each.*</p>
information can advance science and medicine, and benefit society.=A0 It=20
also aspires to encourage a new generation of individuals to embrace the
 use and application of scientific research published through Open=20
Access=AD.</p>
organizations
 to highlight the impact that Open Access research has on science,=20
medicine and society,=94 said Gary Ward, Chairman of the Board, PLOS.=A0 =
=93We
 know there are countless examples of individuals who have used Open=20
Access research to accelerate science but these stories often go=20
untold.=A0 Through this program, we hope to bring them to the forefront.=94=
o=
f distinguished leaders in multiple fields, including:</p>
<ul><li><a
href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnes_Binagwaho">Agnes Bina=
gwaho, M.D.,</a> Minister of Health, Rwanda and faculty member in the
Depar=
tment of Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School</li>
<li><a
href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helga_Nowotny">Helga
Nowotny</a=
>, President of the European Research Council (ERC) and Professor emeritus =
of Social Studies of Science, ETH Zurich</li><li><a
href=3D"http://en.wikip=
edia.org/wiki/Tim_O%27Reilly">Tim O=92Reilly</a>, Founder and
CEO, O=92Reil=
ly Media</li>
<li><a
href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Rosling">Hans Rosling,
M.D=
.,</a> Professor of International Health at Karolinska Institute and
co-fou=
nder and chairman of the Gapminder</li><li><a
href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.o=
rg/wiki/Harold_Varmus">Harold Varmus, M.D.,</a>
 Co-recipient of a Nobel Prize for studies of the genetic basis of=20
cancer and the current Director of the National Cancer
Institute</li></ul>
doing so, recognize those who have maximized the impact of scientific=20
research published through Open Access,=94 said Robert Kiley, Head of=20
Digital Services at the Wellcome Trust. =A0=93We are eager to see real case=
=20
studies that showcase the unique value of Open Access and, through these
 stories, inspire greater support for Open Access.=94</p><p>Three
top award=
s of $30,000 each will be presented.=A0 <b>The nomination=20
period is open from May 1 to June 15, 2013</b>.=A0 Winners will be
announce=
d=20
in Washington, DC in October 2013, at an Open Access Week kickoff event=20
hosted by SPARC and the World Bank.</p>
n=
omination process, and the Award specifics, go to <a
href=3D"http://asap.pl=
os.org">asap.plos.org</a>. For Program rules visit <a
href=3D"http://asap.p=
los.org/nominate/rules/">http://asap.plos.org/nominate/rules/</a>.</p>

Association of Research Libraries, Co-Action Publishing, Creative=20
Commons, the Directory of Open Access Journals, Doris Duke Charitable=20
Trust, eLife, EIFL, Hindawi, Health Research Alliance, Howard Hughes=20
Medical Institute, Impact Story, Max Planck Society, Mendeley, Microsoft
 Research, the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association, Research=20
Councils UK, Research Libraries UK, SPARC, SURF (Netherlands), the World
 Bank, and major sponsors Google, Public Library of Science, and the=20
Wellcome Trust</p><p>(<a
href=3D"http://blogs.plos.org/plos/2013/05/plos-an=
nounces-accelerating-science-award-program/">http://blogs.plos.org/plos/201=

--089e01183260d8d9de04dbbdb87a--