[BOAI] Re: Origin of "green" and "gold" OA -- and of "fair" and "fool's" gold

From: Shigeki Sugita <ssugita AT chiba-u.jp>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 16:54:35 +0900

Threading: [BOAI] word origin of "green" and "gold" from ssugita AT chiba-u.jp
      • This Message

> "golden road" to OA, with its unintended connotations of prmacy
or superiority,
> instead of, say, the "yellow road," in parity with the
"green road" of self-archiving.

Thanks. So I will point the colleague who asked me about it.

> Once mandatory green OA has prevailed globally, and goes on to force a
transition
> to fair gold, "gold" will have earned the extra connotations of
its name.

Except for hybrid model, I don't hate OA journals, but rather I love leading
and forward-thinking ones like PLoS, eLife, PeerJ, etc. However, it looks to me
that, currently, OA journals only bring about a net increase in OA articles,
instead of a transition from TA to OA.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Shigeki Sugita

<http://www.nature.com/nature/focus/accessdebate/21.html>" to OA,

rush and fool's gold <http://j.mp/OAGoldRush>.

<http://www.arl.org/search?cx=004218222077891954038:WMX466275079&cof=FORID:11&ie=UTF-8&q=subversive+proposal&sa=> (and is <http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/265753/>) completely obvious that
> global green OA through mandated self-archiving must come first, before
the transition
> to gold OA pubishing. It is green self-archiving that will not only
prepare the way and
> hasten the transition, but it will also force peer-reviewed journal
publishing to
> downsize to its sole remaining essential function in the OA age, namely,
peer review.

> By first making OA itself universal, along with its benefits, while
subscriptions are
> still paying all publication costs in full, green OA self-archiving in
repositories, once it is at
> or near 100% globally,  makes it possible for institutions to cancel
journal subscriptions.

> This in turn puts pressure -- and may be the /only/ force that can put
pressure --
> on journal publishers to cut obsolete costs by unbundling and phasing out
the products
> and services that global green OA makes unnecessary: the print edition,
the publisher's
> proprietary online edition, access-provision and archiving.
>
> All of that is replaced by the global network of mandated OA repositories,
leaving only each
> journal's service of peer review to be provided and paid for, at a fair,
sustainable price,
> out of the institutional journal subscription cancelation savings.
>
> (And even the much lower price of the peer review service alone can and
will be still further
> reduced by making it a (low) "no-fault
<http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july10/harnad/07harnad.html>" charge for
the refereeing itself, irrespective of outcome,

<http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/39903.htm> in mandating green OA, now preferentially mandating
> gold OA, with all its perverse consequences
<http://www.dlib.org/dlib/september12/harnad/09harnad.html> of
double-payment, depriving author's of
> the freedom to choose their journals, imposing unwanted licenses on them,
and incentivizing
> publishers to offer hybrid gold and adopt and extend green OA embargoes in
order to force
> authors to choose and pay for this fool's gold -- was simply the result of
the connotations of
> a color term.
>
> There are at least 38 other reasons
<http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#38-worries> why authors have
been so slow to self-archive,
<http://j.mp/ZenoParalysis>."

> The cure is known, however, and that is for research institutions and
funders
> worldwide to /mandate green OA self-archivin/g.
>
> And, thankfully, they seem at long last to be getting around to doing it
<http://roarmap.eprints.org>,
> better late than neverů
>
> Once mandatory green OA has prevailed globally, and goes on to force a
transition
> to fair gold, "gold" will have earned the extra connotations of
its name.

> Stevan Harnad
>
> On 2013-04-21, at 11:37 PM, Shigeki Sugita <ssugita AT chiba-u.jp
<mailto:ssugita AT chiba-u.jp>> wrote:

>> Dear Jean-Claude and Stevan,
>>
>> Thank you for explaining.
>>
>> Days ago, one of my colleagues here in Japan asked me if gold OA is
the royal road in highest grade over all flavors of OA.
>> He wondered so by analogy to "Gold Medals".
>> I could not answered to it with clarity.
>>
>> So I'd like to know furthermore, not their definitions but the
etymology of the words.

>> As for "green",
>>
>>> an ecological, self-help solution
>>
>> it seems satisfactory and conclusive!
>>
>> Then, why is OA journals publishing named "gold", not red,
blue, white, etc?

>> Shigeki
>>
>> (2013/04/19 21:32), Stevan Harnad wrote:
>>> On 2013-04-18, at 11:59 PM, Shigeki Sugita <ssugita AT
chiba-u.jp <mailto:ssugita AT chiba-u.jp> <mailto:ssugita AT
chiba-u.jp>> wrote:

> [...]
implications of "green" and "gold" at the time of the first
BOAI recommendation. Why was self-archving named as "green" and OA
journals as "gold"?

>>> The original BOAI
<http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/openaccess/read>in 2002 consisted
of two strategies, BOAI-1 and BOAI-2:

>>>    To achieve open access to scholarly journal literature, we
recommend two complementary strategies.

>>>        *I. *Self-Archiving
<http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/%7Eharnad/Tp/nature4.htm>: First, scholars
need the tools and assistance
<http://www.arl.org/sparc/core/index.asp?page=g20#6> to deposit their
refereed journal articles in open electronic archives, a practice commonly
called, self-archiving*.* When these archives conform to standards created by
the Open Archives Initiative <http://www.openarchives.org/>, then search
engines and other tools can treat the separate archives as one. Users then need
not know which archives exist or where they are located in order to find and
make use of their contents.

>>>        *II. *Open-access Journals <http://www.doaj.org/>:
Second, scholars need the means to launch a new generation of journals
committed to open access, and to help existing journals that elect to make the
transition to open access. Because journal articles should be disseminated as
widely as possible, these new journals will no longer invoke copyright to
restrict access to and use of the material they publish. Instead they will use
copyright and other tools to ensure permanent open access to all the articles
they publish. Because price is a barrier to access, these new journals will not
charge subscription or access fees, and will turn to other methods for covering
their expenses. There are many alternative sources of funds for this purpose,
including the foundations and governments that fund research, the universities
and laboratories that employ researchers, endowments set up by discipline or
institution, friends of the cause of open access, profits from the sale of
>>>        add-ons to the basic texts, funds freed up by the demise or
cancellation of journals charging traditional subscription or access fees, or
even contributions from the researchers themselves. There is no need to favor
one of these solutions over the others for all disciplines or nations, and no
need to stop looking for other, creative alternatives.

>>> These were then dubbed Green OA and Gold OA, respectively, in
2004:

>>> Harnad, S., Brody, T., Vallieres, F., Carr, L., Hitchcock, S.,
Gingras, Y, Oppenheim, C., Stamerjohanns, H., & Hilf, E. (2004) The
Access/Impact Problem and the Green and Gold Roads to Open Access
<http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac..uk/10209/
<http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/10209/>>./ Serials Review/ 30.
*Shorter version:* The green and the gold roads to Open Access
<http://www.nature.com/nature/focus/accessdebate/21.html>. /Nature Web
Focus/.**
>>> *
>>> *
>>>
>>> None of this has anything to do with "highest grade" or
"Gold Medals".

>>> And SHERPA Romeo's colour-code is regrettably (but incorrigibly,
despite repeated requests across the years) at odds with the BOAI distinction,
because it arbitrarily restricts "green" to publishers who endorse
the self-archiving of both unrefereed preprints and refereed postprints, and
"blue" for publishers who endorse the self-archiving of regereed
postprints only, but not preprints: Both SHERPA/Romeo "green" and
SHERPA/Romeo "blue" are of course BOAI Green.

>>> Metaphorically, one can say that Green OA is an ecological,
self-help solution, on the part of the research community. Gold OA is a
"de luxe" solution that also depends on the conversion of publishers
to another cost-recovery model.

>>> My own view is that Globally Green OA mandates will first provide
100% OA and then induce publishers to convert to Gold OA (at a fair price: Fair
Gold).