[BOAI] Re: Origin of "green" and "gold" OA

From: Shigeki Sugita <ssugita AT chiba-u.jp>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:37:54 +0900

Threading: [BOAI] word origin of "green" and "gold" from ssugita AT chiba-u.jp
      • This Message

Dear Jean-Claude and Stevan,

Thank you for explaining.

Days ago, one of my colleagues here in Japan asked me if gold OA is the royal
road in highest grade over all flavors of OA.
He wondered so by analogy to "Gold Medals".
I could not answered to it with clarity.

So I'd like to know furthermore, not their definitions but the etymology of the
words.

As for "green",

> an ecological, self-help solution

it seems satisfactory and conclusive!

Then, why is OA journals publishing named "gold", not red, blue,
white, etc?

Shigeki

<mailto:ssugita AT chiba-u.jp>> wrote:

>> Someone please teach me about the original meanings or implications of
"green" and "gold" at the time of the first BOAI
recommendation. Why was self-archving named as "green" and OA
journals as "gold"?

>> green: green light? "RoMEO-green"?
>> gold: highest grade? (like "Gold Medal")
>
> The original BOAI
<http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/openaccess/read>in 2002 consisted
of two strategies, BOAI-1 and BOAI-2:

>     To achieve open access to scholarly journal literature, we recommend
two complementary strategies.

>         *I. *Self-Archiving
<http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/%7Eharnad/Tp/nature4.htm>: First, scholars
need the tools and assistance
<http://www.arl.org/sparc/core/index.asp?page=g20#6> to deposit their
refereed journal articles in open electronic archives, a practice commonly
called, self-archiving*.* When these archives conform to standards created by
the Open Archives Initiative <http://www.openarchives.org/>, then search
engines and other tools can treat the separate archives as one. Users then need
not know which archives exist or where they are located in order to find and
make use of their contents.

>         *II. *Open-access Journals <http://www.doaj.org/>: Second,
scholars need the means to launch a new generation of journals committed to
open access, and to help existing journals that elect to make the transition to
open access. Because journal articles should be disseminated as widely as
possible, these new journals will no longer invoke copyright to restrict access
to and use of the material they publish. Instead they will use copyright and
other tools to ensure permanent open access to all the articles they publish.
Because price is a barrier to access, these new journals will not charge
subscription or access fees, and will turn to other methods for covering their
expenses. There are many alternative sources of funds for this purpose,
including the foundations and governments that fund research, the universities
and laboratories that employ researchers, endowments set up by discipline or
institution, friends of the cause of open access, profits from the sale of
>         add-ons to the basic texts, funds freed up by the demise or
cancellation of journals charging traditional subscription or access fees, or
even contributions from the researchers themselves. There is no need to favor
one of these solutions over the others for all disciplines or nations, and no
need to stop looking for other, creative alternatives.

> These were then dubbed Green OA and Gold OA, respectively, in 2004:
>
> Harnad, S., Brody, T., Vallieres, F., Carr, L., Hitchcock, S., Gingras, Y,
Oppenheim, C., Stamerjohanns, H., & Hilf, E. (2004) The Access/Impact
Problem and the Green and Gold Roads to Open Access
<http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/10209/>./ Serials Review/ 30. *Shorter
version:* The green and the gold roads to Open Access
<http://www.nature.com/nature/focus/accessdebate/21.html>. /Nature Web
Focus/.**
> *
> *
>
> None of this has anything to do with "highest grade" or
"Gold Medals".

> And SHERPA Romeo's colour-code is regrettably (but incorrigibly, despite
repeated requests across the years) at odds with the BOAI distinction, because
it arbitrarily restricts "green" to publishers who endorse the
self-archiving of both unrefereed preprints and refereed postprints, and
"blue" for publishers who endorse the self-archiving of regereed
postprints only, but not preprints: Both SHERPA/Romeo "green" and
SHERPA/Romeo "blue" are of course BOAI Green.

> Metaphorically, one can say that Green OA is an ecological, self-help
solution, on the part of the research community. Gold OA is a "de
luxe" solution that also depends on the conversion of publishers to
another cost-recovery model.

> My own view is that Globally Green OA mandates will first provide 100% OA
and then induce publishers to convert to Gold OA (at a fair price: Fair Gold).

> Stevan Harnad

Shigeki Sugita <ssugita AT chiba-u.jp>
Chiba University Library, Japan